Campfire - Solaris
Dec 13, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #2,281 of 12,035
Hey guys I know I asked this question before but I am going to be asking it again because now more people have heard and bought the solaris so how does the solaris stack against the hifiman re2000 interms it being either better after burn in of the solaris and what would be the greatest strength of the solaris and what genres would it suit the best, I trying to find a way to listen to solaris as soon as possible

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #2,282 of 12,035
Hey guys I know I asked this question before but I am going to be asking it again because now more people have heard and bought the solaris so how does the solaris stack against the hifiman re2000 interms it being either better after burn in of the solaris and what would be the greatest strength of the solaris and what genres would it suit the best, I trying to find a way to listen to solaris as soon as possible

Had the RE2000 on loan for a few months. IMHO, the Solaris feels even richer than the RE2000, with a broader staging and more pronounced feeling of depth. RE2000 feels a little sharper on the treble, but detail is clearly won by the Solaris.

Bass feels slightly cloudy and diffuse on the RE2000 in comparison to the Campfire model, with slightly more midbass quantity but lacking the same feeling of solidity and heft. The mid range instruments also feels thinner and flatter on the RE2000, as it has a more pronounced V-shape signature on comparison. Build quality is won by the Solaris by a country mile - the 2000 feels cheap in comparison.

In simple terms, the RE2000 is a great listen and a decent choice at its half price sale mark, but at full price I think the Solaris is easily in a different tier of refinement sonically.

Hope that helps?

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #2,283 of 12,035
Personal impressions on the Solaris...not burned in, imo not necessary for it to sound good (but this is not the point).
The big difference in favour of the Solaris vs Andromeda imo was the bass. Bass strikes noticeably clearer.
Imaging is also better on the Solaris.
Soundstage felt in favour of the Andromeda, the Andromeda a more ethereal sound.
I personally had no problems with the mids on the Solaris, but it was noticed by someone else (who apparently did not know of @crinacle's impressions/measurements). I think the slight difference in this area (whether it matters or not) contributes to the Andromeda's slightly more ethereal nature.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2,285 of 12,035
Had the opportunity to demo this IEM a few days ago and I must say I'm very impressed. I currently saving for Tia Forte and planned to get it next year but I think I might go for Solaris instead. The difference between the two is not that big and there are some areas that I like Solaris better (and that I could get it right now, too). This will probably be my last IEM for a long while though so I still can't decide and it been some time since I last heard the Forte. Can anyone offer their comparison of these two? :)

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #2,286 of 12,035
After all this time... I finally had an audition of the Andromeda!
First the fit is much better (andro v2) thanks to smaller shells and isolation is better.

There are clearly similarities with the Solaris, especially in the treble although I'll be in the minority saying I prefer the Solaris treble (I actually find them more lively and tonally more pleasing, with a touch of warmth). I found the bass was pretty good, tighter than the Solaris but less textured and with less sub. There is a tad more mid bass IMHO, but lower mids are leaner on the Andro which has more upper mids focus and I can see why some will prefer Andromeda which is more "serious" overall where the Solaris is clearly "fun" and exhuberant.

Also, Solaris is significantly warmer thanks to lower mids. Ah and soundstage, well to me Solaris is just bigger and more holographic where the Andro appears wider as the soundstage appeared more elliptical to me (very wide, not very deep and moderatly tall vs similarly wide, much deeper and significantly taller for the Solaris).

Yes, the Andro is more "accurate" in a closer to reference way but to me the Solaris is so much more fun :D
I am pretty curious to audition the Andro S now :p

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #2,287 of 12,035
First the fit is much better (andro v2) thanks to smaller shells and isolation is better.

There are clearly similarities with the Solaris, especially in the treble although I'll be in the minority saying I prefer the Solaris treble (I actually find them more lively and tonally more pleasing, with a touch of warmth). I found the bass was pretty good, tighter than the Solaris but less textured and with less sub. There is a tad more mid bass IMHO, but lower mids are leaner on the Andro which has more upper mids focus and I can see why some will prefer Andromeda which is more "serious" overall where the Solaris is clearly "fun" and exhuberant.

Also, Solaris is significantly warmer thanks to lower mids. Ah and soundstage, well to me Solaris is just bigger and more holographic where the Andro appears wider as the soundstage appeared more elliptical to me (very wide, not very deep and moderatly tall vs similarly wide, much deeper and significantly taller for the Solaris).

Yes, the Andro is more "accurate" in a closer to reference way but to me the Solaris is so much more fun :D

I'm with you about the soundstage of Solaris being better than Andromeda. Andromeda is very wide indeed but for some reason the sound feel very "in your face" to me compare to more recent TOTL iem. You should try the S version of the Andromeda (if you haven't already) as the vocal presentation of that version is much closer to the Solaris.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #2,288 of 12,035

I agree with this comparison completely. The Andromeda S for me had more pronounced mids, and they actually remind me on the mids on the solaris, but with a little more energy, and not quite as much weight in the lower end of the mids.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #2,289 of 12,035
Had the RE2000 on loan for a few months. IMHO, the Solaris feels even richer than the RE2000, with a broader staging and more pronounced feeling of depth. RE2000 feels a little sharper on the treble, but detail is clearly won by the Solaris.

Bass feels slightly cloudy and diffuse on the RE2000 in comparison to the Campfire model, with slightly more midbass quantity but lacking the same feeling of solidity and heft. The mid range instruments also feels thinner and flatter on the RE2000, as it has a more pronounced V-shape signature on comparison. Build quality is won by the Solaris by a country mile - the 2000 feels cheap in comparison.

In simple terms, the RE2000 is a great listen and a decent choice at its half price sale mark, but at full price I think the Solaris is easily in a different tier of refinement sonically.

Hope that helps?
I test drove the silver 2000's last week when I bought my Andros SS. They stayed in my ear for about 10 seconds. They sounded very very thin to me, shocked they retailed for $1500. And the construction looked cheap.

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,290 of 12,035
I test drove the silver 2000's last week when I bought my Andros SS. They stayed in my ear for about 10 seconds. They sounded very very thin to me, shocked they retailed for $1500. And the construction looked cheap.

That's the HiFiMAN specialty.. low quality, high prices.

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,291 of 12,035

Great impressions! I have almost the same impressions of Andromeda as yours. Now I’m eager to demo the Solaris since I’m still unsure of the bass compared to Andromeda especially in the subbass region. On tracks with deep subbass, Andromeda definitely rumbles when called for but not as big as the Vega. I want to hear how Solaris renders the rumbling subbass personally

Dec 13, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #2,293 of 12,035
Great impressions! I have almost the same impressions of Andromeda as yours. Now I’m eager to demo the Solaris since I’m still unsure of the bass compared to Andromeda especially in the subbass region. On tracks with deep subbass, Andromeda definitely rumbles when called for but not as big as the Vega. I want to hear how Solaris renders the rumbling subbass personally
You have a golden ear, I can tell. I have not heard the Andros, but own the SS version, and your description is spot on, except the mids on the ss version is fuller and wonderful; I read that is exactly the tuning difference between the regular Andros and the SS version. The Solaris I haven't heard yet.

Dec 13, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #2,294 of 12,035
You have a golden ear, I can tell. I have not heard the Andros, but own the SS version, and your description is spot on, except the mids on the ss version is fuller and wonderful; I read that is exactly the tuning difference between the regular Andros and the SS version. The Solaris I haven't heard yet.
Solaris for me takes the difference of the SS and the original, and does it again, even fuller mids. It does have a little less energy in the top end of the mids than the SS though, but for me thats what I wanted. It still has highs comparable to the SS but a little smoother/less up front for me. Then the bass is improved greatly with the added weight, I definitely understand their statement of "The traditional wall between high end two-channel hi-fi and personal audio just got thinner." with the Solaris.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,295 of 12,035
thin plastic, paint easily fades ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back