Campfire - Solaris
Nov 3, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #826 of 12,035
I think it's a fair comparison as the EX1000 is still very much a flagship after all these years. I have been getting PM's about this anway :p

The EX1000 is quite brighter than the Solaris, those are two different signatures. The EX1000 is more neutral bright to my ears while the Solaris is neutral warm. The EX1000 can be a bit harsh at times, the Solaris is as smooth as it gets. Both have a high level of detail but the EX1000 is focused on sharpness and Solaris on smooth delivery. Both have great extension, the Solaris has more kick in the bass but they share good bass texture with a high degree of naturalness. Maybe the EX1000 is faster with quicker decay, I'd have to do some proper longer A/B. The Solaris mids are thicker there is more body and weight and lower mids have more presence. Both have great articulate mids but the EX1000 upper mids are clearly more prominent. The treble is very extended on both, but the presentation is very different. The EX1000 is thinner, with more upper treble presence, it's a airy treble with quicker decay. The Solaris has weight in the treble, it's has more texture and has more impact. I'd say lower treble is more prominent on the Solaris but always smooth and sibilance free contrary to EX1000.

Both share a great soundstage, I think the EX1000 is wider or appears so because it doesn't have the great depth of the Solaris, also the Solaris soundstage is taller and overall more holographic. The Solaris is bigger sounding probably also thanks to the bass kick.

https://support.logitech.com/en_roeu/product/ue900/spare-parts at least I am routed to the European shop, not sure where you're based but you can find it on the US shop as well I think.

Beware that what works for me might not for you, it's all about matching your physiology.
Awesome feedback. Thank you!

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #827 of 12,035
Much easier to let customers do the burn-in :) .
There's no doubt about that.

Sounds like I need to start saving up :)
If these came in a titanium shell and in a smaller form factor, I would be saving up as well, despite being almost completely satisfied with the Andromeda S. As it stands I'm pretty sure I'll pass, but I'm still looking forward to trying them out when my dealer finally gets a demo. Curious if I'll hear this "completely different tier" hype.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #828 of 12,035
I think it's a fair comparison as the EX1000 is still very much a flagship after all these years. I have been getting PM's about this anway :p

The EX1000 is quite brighter than the Solaris, those are two different signatures. The EX1000 is more neutral bright to my ears while the Solaris is neutral warm. The EX1000 can be a bit harsh at times, the Solaris is as smooth as it gets. Both have a high level of detail but the EX1000 is focused on sharpness and Solaris on smooth delivery. Both have great extension, the Solaris has more kick in the bass but they share good bass texture with a high degree of naturalness. Maybe the EX1000 is faster with quicker decay, I'd have to do some proper longer A/B. The Solaris mids are thicker there is more body and weight and lower mids have more presence. Both have great articulate mids but the EX1000 upper mids are clearly more prominent. The treble is very extended on both, but the presentation is very different. The EX1000 is thinner, with more upper treble presence, it's a airy treble with quicker decay. The Solaris has weight in the treble, it's has more texture and has more impact. I'd say lower treble is more prominent on the Solaris but always smooth and sibilance free contrary to EX1000.

Both share a great soundstage, I think the EX1000 is wider or appears so because it doesn't have the great depth of the Solaris, also the Solaris soundstage is taller and overall more holographic. The Solaris is bigger sounding probably also thanks to the bass kick.

https://support.logitech.com/en_roeu/product/ue900/spare-parts at least I am routed to the European shop, not sure where you're based but you can find it on the US shop as well I think.

Beware that what works for me might not for you, it's all about matching your physiology.
Thank You for comparison ex1000 with 1z is amazing. .

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #829 of 12,035
Thank You for comparison ex1000 with 1z is amazing. .

It is but as a new 1Z owner I never tried other firmwares, maybe 3.0 is not the best match there.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #830 of 12,035
Mic Drop
IMG_20181103_101510.jpg

Nov 3, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #831 of 12,035
Well my friends, I am back from Sweden in the 1970s, that's where the Solaris took me for over an hour... I was there at the Pawshop listening to Arne Domnérus and the band...

You know all the brands that tell you that this headphone or IEM will sound like a live performance?
They usually disappoint... nothing has brought me "there" like the Solaris, time absolutely lost and the eerie feeling that I am there with them... the realism of the soundstage and timbre is just spot on...

Let me pick up my jaw from the floor and I'll be back!

With the Solaris "Nothing else matters" :wink:

I just dare anyone to build something that I will love more... it's just like attending the real thing so what could be best? Is the fall down the rabbit hole finished?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #832 of 12,035
Well my friends, I am back from Sweden in the 1970s, that's where the Solaris took me for over an hour... I was there at the Pawshop listening to Arne Domnérus and the band...

You know all the brands that tell you that this headphone or IEM will sound like a live performance?
They usually disappoint... nothing has brought me "there" like the Solaris, time absolutely lost and the eerie feeling that I am there with them... the realism of the soundstage and timbre is just spot on...

Let me pick up my jaw from the floor and I'll be back!
So, it IS a spiritual experience for you now. Just needed the right tips.

This is very inspiring.

Nov 3, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #833 of 12,035
So, it IS a spiritual experience for you now. Just needed the right tips.
This is very inspiring.

Well now I can say "yes it is", really it's almost creepy good (Halloween inside)
I mean I forget about the gear I am IN the music, with a big grin :D

I must just be careful not to forget people around me, been getting antisocial there :p

I'll be curious to audition the Solaris with Hugo 2 and SP1000 at future meetups but the pairing with 1Z (aside from the shell being exactly the same tint as the 1Z) is beautiful...

I'll also enjoy trying it out with the Oriolus BA300S tube amp which is en route...

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #834 of 12,035
OH....MY....GOD!

I did a lot of tip rolling digging everything in my arsenal... and I found the perfect tips for me (thing is, I am unsure of the brand and make looks like Sony with the color coded stem)... deep insertion and full seal and... that bass!

It's not that I didn't have a seal before, just that deeper insertion must have done something and... wow I am totally blown away! Best bass... ever. There is much greater impact while retaining those great textures.

Second benefit is that when the shell are sitting flush they don't protrude as much so comfort is better as well.

Can someone help me confirm what brand of tips this is?

6gOgbDeDqoHDtTxG0qLcIT4snzCD8i.png

Just listened to Jamie Woon "Sharpness" what a treat... and right now testing "Oi-1" from Biosphere the sub bass extension (with control and textures, that track is saturating subs) is nothing short of extraordinary feels like I have a subwoofer attached to my head).

With that extra kick the Solaris is everything I wish for in an IEM, this is so exciting!

This is highly intoxicating sound :heart_eyes:

If I had not spent the last 10 years down this rabbit hole I would declare : "End Game!" at least for my personnal preferences in signature.

I am BLOWN AWAY, thank you @KB !
That is very exciting! When you get a chance would you mind playing a couple of my bass test tracks and let me know how it sounds with those tips?

Alone by Kryptic Minds
Lace by Random Rab

Your thoughts would be appreciated!!

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #835 of 12,035
That is very exciting! When you get a chance would you mind playing a couple of my bass test tracks and let me know how it sounds with those tips?

Alone by Kryptic Minds
Lace by Random Rab

Your thoughts would be appreciated!!

I'll check this tonight, always in for a good basshead track :D

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #836 of 12,035
LOL, and you wont be disappointed.

Kb

And.... i’m not dissapointed at all :beyersmile:
Quite excellent IEM...IMO the Andromeda S are the test to develop this sound sig, the sound is similar but with better and more layered sub bass, and increased imaging overall the sound frecuencies.
The details is on par with the Andromeda S, it is not the super resolving IEM, but it’s very musical and engaging sound signature.
But... the burn in is not complete in my case (if such thing exist anyway)

21C32AE5-BF96-4EBA-AE91-34F9A1751EA9.jpeg
8152CEE1-8A3F-4590-931D-ED92EB152D09.jpeg
6098AF5A-E795-4D4B-8E9C-7C30B9A711E1.jpeg

308F6C38-52C0-43E3-A8E8-9E4CE9F6B522.jpeg

I’m one of the first owners i guess?

Something negative about this IEM?
Only the size...i’ts pretty big, but still comfortable...maybe not for very small ears

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #837 of 12,035
So after 3 days of burn in, imo the bass improves by a lot. I feels a lot more tactile now.

Also, Solaris relies on true transparency. Many IEMs fake a bit of transparency by having too much Treble. 64 Audio U18 is a good example. While it is very transparent, it's transparency is increased(faked) by the elevated treble. Solaris does not do this and instead relies only on transparency. It's up there among the most transparent IEMs.

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #839 of 12,035
The feedback in this forum just sounds too good to be true but I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve heard from Campfire. I’m just gonna try to hold out a little longer and wait for more feedback. I’m still watching the IER-Z1R as well and definitely won’t be buying both haha.

I know this is not a fair comparison but how does the EX1000 sound by comparison? I’ve never heard the EX1000 but I’ve owned the MDR-7550 since I’ve been in this hobby and it has stood the test of time. It still stacks up respectably against some TOTLs I’ve heard/own.

I’m actually shopping for an EX1000 to compartare to my 7550. It’ll likely be a collectible that I can enjoy every once in a while.
I found the 7550 superior to the EX1000, a little less up top and very underrated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back