Campfire - Solaris
Nov 3, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #811 of 12,035
So how much do you think it would cost to burn-in one Solaris unit?

I think it might be more a question of time, than of actual cost. I've no idea how much time it takes to actually assemble one IEM, given sufficient availability of base components, but I would not think it should be too long.... maybe one employee can assemble/tune/QC several IEMs in a day? If you then have to burn them in, that would add anywhere from 5-6 days (100-150 hours) to 8-9 days (200 hours) lead time. Of course, you would not need many people on that, and you could burn them in in batches, so it's not a straightforward comparison. But one would still have to create an industrial strength burn-in station, and cope with how to manage successive batches, and in any case you won't have any inventory to sell until the burn-in is finished. Much easier to let customers do the burn-in :) .

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #812 of 12,035
The more I listen to the Solaris, the more I am in awe at its soundstage, layering and imaging.

I believe the depth and the precision of the layering is the key differentiator here : I have never ever heard such holographic rendering... I hear new layers in albums I know by heart, it's eerie. I need to take notes and list examples of this.

The Solaris remains highly coherent, space is a continuum... separation is great but no by way of over-defined contours (struggling to find the words here), there is an infinite gradation of nuances in between instruments. It's really an amazing experience...

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #813 of 12,035
The more I listen to the Solaris, the more I am in awe at its soundstage, layering and imaging.

I believe the depth and the precision of the layering is the key differentiator here : I have never ever heard such holographic rendering... I hear new layers in albums I know by heart, it's eerie. I need to take notes and list examples of this.

The Solaris remains highly coherent, space is a continuum... separation is great but no by way of over-defined contours (struggling to find the words here), there is an infinite gradation of nuances in between instruments. It's really an amazing experience...
Sounds like Solaris is proving to be a religious/spiritual experience. :D

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #815 of 12,035
Sounds like Solaris is proving to be a religious/spiritual experience. :D

Wouldn't go that far but a great experience for sure!

I have gone down a size in tips (like I did for the Atlas) - deeper insertion now is possible. And still a good seal. I am using thr Final Audio tips. Good they have so many size options (5?). I did a short a/b with my favorite spiral tips and didnt notice too much loss either way. But I do hope to find a way to get the Spiral tips to work for me.
Where did you guys see your serial number? On the box?

Funny I have tried the same thing, smaller tips, deeper insertion (flush) but didn't find yet something that will give me a seal. I'll keep on trying as I usually prefer when the IEM is inserted totally flush. I am staying away from those final E that are provided... stem is too narrow. I might try the ones provided with the E5000 which have I think a much wider stem.

Yeah the serial is on the sticker which is on the box... mine says SRS00010 so I am guessing number 10.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #816 of 12,035
OH....MY....GOD!

I did a lot of tip rolling digging everything in my arsenal... and I found the perfect tips for me (thing is, I am unsure of the brand and make looks like Sony with the color coded stem)... deep insertion and full seal and... that bass!

It's not that I didn't have a seal before, just that deeper insertion must have done something and... wow I am totally blown away! Best bass... ever. There is much greater impact while retaining those great textures.

Second benefit is that when the shell are sitting flush they don't protrude as much so comfort is better as well.

Can someone help me confirm what brand of tips this is?

6gOgbDeDqoHDtTxG0qLcIT4snzCD8i.png

Just listened to Jamie Woon "Sharpness" what a treat... and right now testing "Oi-1" from Biosphere the sub bass extension (with control and textures, that track is saturating subs) is nothing short of extraordinary feels like I have a subwoofer attached to my head).

With that extra kick the Solaris is everything I wish for in an IEM, this is so exciting!

This is highly intoxicating sound :heart_eyes:

If I had not spent the last 10 years down this rabbit hole I would declare : "End Game!" at least for my personnal preferences in signature.

I am BLOWN AWAY, thank you @KB !

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #817 of 12,035
OH....MY....GOD!

I did a lot of tip rolling digging everything in my arsenal... and I found the perfect tips for me (thing is, I am unsure of the brand and make looks like Sony with the color coded stem)... deep insertion and full seal and... that bass!
It's not that I didn't have a seal before, just that deeper insertion must have done something and... wow I am totally blown away! Best bass... ever. There is much greater impact while retaining those great textures.

chGnJTuXtt2Lax5awglwfDdBVJHXaa.png

CJM6HEuiXfb7roRTdq58wHgMzh7SU9.png

Just listened to Jamie Woon "Sharpness" what a treat... and right now testing "Oi-1" from Biosphere the sub bass extension (with control and textures, that track is saturating subs) is nothing short of extraordinary feels like I have a subwoofer attached to my head).

With that extra kick the Solaris is everything I wish for in an IEM, this is so exciting!

They look a lot like UE900 tips to me

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #818 of 12,035
OH....MY....GOD!

Second benefit is that when the shell are sitting flush they don't protrude as much so comfort is better as well.

chGnJTuXtt2Lax5awglwfDdBVJHXaa.png

CJM6HEuiXfb7roRTdq58wHgMzh7SU9.png

If I had not spent the last 10 years down this rabbit hole I would declare : "End Game!" at least for my personnal preferences in signature.

I am BLOWN AWAY, thank you @KB !
The Solaris sounded so good I decided to buy the modded wm1z, oh boy so sublime

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #819 of 12,035
They look a lot like UE900 tips to me

Now I remember I ordered those a long time ago... need to get some more, just in case!

Oh my Rage against The Machine "Take the power back" is kicking so good I have a big grin on my face! It's been a while since I have listened to faster paced and punchier music but with the Solaris I can push the volume with no harshness, great articulation and such a satisfying kick :D

Testing the bass further, again the Subwoofer feeling with Aphex Twin "Ageispolis"... If you're into 72h burn in and don't get bass kick out of the Solaris please do some tip rolling with deeper insertion you won't regret it!!!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #820 of 12,035
Yes indeed, I purchased it based on @flinkenick Hansound Zen review on THL and while it's not a bass focused cable it shoud be an enhancement over a stock cable in most case, not remove bass.

Nick wrote "Zen has good low-end extension, which reaches slightly deeper than Ares II. In addition, the general bass presentation has more body, which creates a generally warmer tone. Zen doesn’t have a severely enhanced bass, but it has a nice round texture that carries weight. Ares II’s bass in turn is more compact, and especially its upper bass is slightly more attenuated by comparison. This creates a cleaner stage, but also a slightly drier sound. Ares II’s bass is punchy, but it feels lighter and airier by comparison. Zen’s bass is warmer in tone, and can be considered more engaging."

It matches my experience so far... I don't expect the 8 wire to provide more bass than 4 wire, but it should help soundstage and extension. We'll see!

Now I don't know which cable you had the Encore running with before comparing, maybe something with highly enhanced bass?

Right, same review I read. I stated it was in comparison to the stock Encore cable. But it has been noted by others for it not be easily to get improvement with aftermarket cables with the Encore. Though Pinky warmed his Encore IEMs with a darker aftermarket cable. I’m pretty sure I can get my stock cable re-terminated with a 4.4mm plug; so that’s what I will do. Also the Zen (4 wire) is not a waist as I use it with a darker qdc Anole V3 which gets improved synergy with it.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #821 of 12,035
Now I remember I ordered those a long time ago... need to get some more, just in case!

Oh my Rage against The Machine "Take the power back" is kicking so good I have a big grin on my face! It's been a while since I have listened to faster paced and punchier music but with the Solaris I can push the volume with no harshness, great articulation and such a satisfying kick :D

Testing the bass further, again the Subwoofer feeling with Aphex Twin "Ageispolis"... If you're into 72h burn in and don't get bass kick out of the Solaris please do some tip rolling with deeper insertion you won't regret it!!!
No worries! Those have been my favorite tips for some time now.

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #822 of 12,035
No worries! Those have been my favorite tips for some time now.

They just took the Solaris to such a level for me which has me simply blown away, wondering how this IEM can sound so good really it's just stunning and I can't wait to have people I trust give it and audition and see their faces!

This is a once in several years product for sure. I am betting this will be as much of a classic as some IEMs that have lasted quite a while on the market (EX1000, SE5U, Andromeda...). I have been looking for something like the Solaris for quite some time, each purchase I was itching for that feeling of reaching a new planefield.

Ironically that review is going to be really tough to write!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #823 of 12,035
They just took the Solaris to such a level for me which has me simply blown away, wondering how this IEM can sound so good really it's just stunning and I can't wait to have people I trust give it and audition and see their faces!

This is a once in several years product for sure. I am betting this will be as much of a classic as some IEMs that have lasted quite a while on the market (EX1000, SE5U, Andromeda...). I have been looking for something like the Solaris for quite some time, each purchase I was itching for that feeling of reaching a new planefield.

The feedback in this forum just sounds too good to be true but I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve heard from Campfire. I’m just gonna try to hold out a little longer and wait for more feedback. I’m still watching the IER-Z1R as well and definitely won’t be buying both haha.

I know this is not a fair comparison but how does the EX1000 sound by comparison? I’ve never heard the EX1000 but I’ve owned the MDR-7550 since I’ve been in this hobby and it has stood the test of time. It still stacks up respectably against some TOTLs I’ve heard/own.

I’m actually shopping for an EX1000 to compartare to my 7550. It’ll likely be a collectible that I can enjoy every once in a while.

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #824 of 12,035

Can I get a link to these exact tips?...I cant seem to find the ones that look exactly like those in the pictures.

Im picking up my Solaris from fedex today I am beyond excited!!!

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #825 of 12,035
The feedback in this forum just sound too good to be true but I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve heard from Campfire. I’m just gonna try to hold out a little longer and wait for more feedback. I’m still watching the IER-Z1R as well and definitely won’t be buying both haha. I know this is not a fair comparison but how does the EX1000 sound by comparison? I’ve never heard the EX1000 but I’ve owned the MDR-7550 since I’ve been in this hobby and it has stood the test of time. It still stacks up respectably against some TOTLs I’ve heard/own. I’m actually shopping for an EX1000 to compartare to my 7550. It’ll likely be a collectible that I can enjoy every once in a while.

I think it's a fair comparison as the EX1000 is still very much a flagship after all these years. I have been getting PM's about this anway :p

The EX1000 is quite brighter than the Solaris, those are two different signatures. The EX1000 is more neutral bright to my ears while the Solaris is neutral warm. The EX1000 can be a bit harsh at times, the Solaris is as smooth as it gets. Both have a high level of detail but the EX1000 is focused on sharpness and Solaris on smooth delivery. Both have great extension, the Solaris has more kick in the bass but they share good bass texture with a high degree of naturalness. Maybe the EX1000 is faster with quicker decay, I'd have to do some proper longer A/B. The Solaris mids are thicker there is more body and weight and lower mids have more presence. Both have great articulate mids but the EX1000 upper mids are clearly more prominent. The treble is very extended on both, but the presentation is very different. The EX1000 is thinner, with more upper treble presence, it's a airy treble with quicker decay. The Solaris has weight in the treble, it's has more texture and has more impact. I'd say lower treble is more prominent on the Solaris but always smooth and sibilance free contrary to EX1000.

Both share a great soundstage, I think the EX1000 is wider or appears so because it doesn't have the great depth of the Solaris, also the Solaris soundstage is taller and overall more holographic. The Solaris is bigger sounding probably also thanks to the bass kick.

Can I get a link to these exact tips?...I cant seem to find the ones that look exactly like those in the pictures.
Im picking up my Solaris from fedex today I am beyond excited!!!

https://support.logitech.com/en_roeu/product/ue900/spare-parts at least I am routed to the European shop, not sure where you're based but you can find it on the US shop as well I think.

Beware that what works for me might not for you, it's all about matching your physiology.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back