Campfire - Solaris
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #798 of 12,035
If burn-in is real, why aren't manufacturers burning them in at the factory?
Because this is a niche industry with relatively small companies and that would take up extra resources which might take up extra cash from your wallet. Audeze does burn their gear in though, but they are of a relatively larger scale so can afford to do so.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #799 of 12,035
If they do then it wouldn't be BRAND NEW

You realize any self-respecting brand does quality control, which means the gear gets "used". CA even explicitly states that they do L/R matching so the phones are not virgin.

Because this is a niche industry with relatively small companies and that would take up extra resources which might take up extra cash from your wallet. Audeze does burn their gear in though, but they are of a relatively larger scale so can afford to do so.

So how much do you think it would cost to burn-in one Solaris unit?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #800 of 12,035

Personally my favorite conspiracy theory is that manufacturers suggest burn-in to 'burn' the refund period as you psychologically adapt to the sound. Furthermore if your belief is that sound will improve as time passes, it's likely that your brain will gradually conform to that expectation.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #801 of 12,035
So how much do you think it would cost to burn-in one Solaris unit?
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #803 of 12,035

I'm sorry, I can't read Mr. Obama's body language.

You suggested it would cost the company extra to do it and I asked how much do you think it would cost them. Was that a stupid thing to ask?

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #804 of 12,035
I'm sorry, I can't read Mr. Obama's body language.

You suggested it would cost the company extra to do it and I asked how much do you think it would cost them. Was that a stupid thing to ask?
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Unless I happened to be the CFO (if there is one, which I'm assuming there isn't and that the CFO is also the CEO is also Ken) of Campfire and knew all their financial info such as their sales figures, operating revenue, gross profit margins, and so on, it would be impossible for me to give you an estimate. It seems like you're just trying to start an argument here. Or if I'm mistaken and it's a serious question, then the answer is I don't know.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #805 of 12,035

I don't know about IEMs.
I read somewhere that BA driver compared to other types of driver, is less durable and has a shorter life span.
If there is a company that burns them in, I'm not sure how many hours they will do it, since maybe that will mean the BA driver will be a bit too worn out for a new product leading to a lower quality product overall.

For full size, some manufacturers do that, at least I know that MrSpeaker do a driver burn in before they actually use it for construction (after driver matching, etc).

Watch this video by Tyll:

Man, I really miss this guy and his reviews, I hope he's doing well.

Nov 3, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #809 of 12,035
Personally my favorite conspiracy theory is that manufacturers suggest burn-in to 'burn' the refund period as you psychologically adapt to the sound. Furthermore if your belief is that sound will improve as time passes, it's likely that your brain will gradually conform to that expectation.
That is purely based upon advanced knowledge of burn in, and does not cover when someone gets an IEM and then notices the sound changes. Then, when that IEM dies, they go out and buy the exact same model, only to be disappointed that they sound thin and flat compared to the set that just died. After a week or so, all is fine. Then, several years later, one learns the concept of burn in, and says "Oh! That's what I was experiencing."

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #810 of 12,035
I never believed in burn-in until I got the Vega. I complained about the sound and was about to return them. Everyone in the forum encouraged me to stick with them. After a few hundred hours, they blossomed!

I personally have never experienced a change like that in any other IEM, BA or DD. That said, I’ll never question Ken if he recommends burn-in for any of his IEMs.

On another note. I had the Ref 8 for the Noble Encore and the improvements were negligible to my ears. I bought the Dita Dream cable (silver) for the Vega and there was a noticeable step up in almost every directions (ie resolution, layering, imaging, and high/low end extension and control).

I’m not really a cable guy but I felt like I got my money’s worth. The awesome plug is also a nice bonus. Only con I can think of is that the cable is very stiff. If I end up with the Solaris, I’ll definitely be testing it with the Dita cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back