Campfire - Solaris
Nov 2, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #766 of 12,035
I have never believed in physical burn in before, I am not sure what's happening, but the bass is hitting much harder today. I've left my IEMs on 24/7 for a few days now. Interesting. Maybe brain burn in or not, but the bass is now more satisfying.

Agreed, I am around 60 hours and things are getting tighter, not spectacular but clearly perceptible. I'd like more tightness though... we'll see!

On a sidenote, I think it's going to be a real challenge to review the Solaris, I am trying to grasp how it does what it does, especially that insane speaker like soundstage... the size of that shell something accoustic going on in there, for it to sound like full size cans!

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #767 of 12,035
I have never believed in physical burn in before, I am not sure what's happening, but the bass is hitting much harder today. I've left my IEMs on 24/7 for a few days now. Interesting. Maybe brain burn in or not, but the bass is now more satisfying.

My $.02.

I think a lot of this has to do with how your feeling and your mood. Tired, anxious, relaxed, joyous...all have an effect on how much enjoyment I get from music. Same equipment but some days it just "sounds" better than others.

Maybe this is just me, though.

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #768 of 12,035
My $.02.
I think a lot of this has to do with how your feeling and your mood. Tired, anxious, relaxed, joyous...all have an effect on how much enjoyment I get from music. Same equipment but some days it just "sounds" better than others.
Maybe this is just me, though.

It can come into play, definitely, but I would have said the other way around, music will boost your mood every time especially when the experience is so engulfing... it's a healthy drug :D

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #769 of 12,035

That is a reason I prefer a burn in setup where you set it and forget it for a week. When you are listening for hours, I feel like my brain is adjusting to the sound, going through "brain burn in" where I can't pick up the changes. Of course, it's all subjective because we go by memory, rather than having a true a/b with 2 sets of IEMs, one out of the box and another with 100hrs of mileage on it.

Now, with all that said, I do have a budget measurement setup, but out of respect for Ken, Jude, and others who use professional equipment that probably cost 500x, I choose not to share measurements in public. I'm confident about the peaks in that FR measurement because I can confirm it by doing a sine sweep, but I'm not confident about the calibration where the amplitude and the width of these peaks/valleys is accurate. My setup is very convenient to do a relative comparison, where regardless of the accuracy of amplitude measurement, you only compare the difference between the sections of FR (thus, a relative comparison). And what I'm seeing out of the box and after 100hr+ is a slight lift between 100-250Hz and also attenuation of 12kHz peak. I mentioned before that I hear a lift in mid-bass and a slight attenuation in treble (the reason I switched from foamies back to FA silicones to bring back the sparkle), so to my ears it makes sense from all subjective/objective/placebo perspectives :D

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #770 of 12,035
I kinda can't keep quiet about this. There's no such thing as "brain burn in". At least, not in the sense that it would take days to adapt to a sound signature. The human brain isn't that slow. Adaptation to a new SQ will happen in a matter of minutes to hours, not days.

Of course there's no such thing. Brains don't need to burn in. Honestly, likely, neither do speakers. BUT the psychological effect of 'burn in' (as a term this industry / forum has coined) weather physical drivers or crossovers changing (likely bull) or 'brain burn in' (both perception and memory changing over time) is likely real in some form.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #771 of 12,035
Has anyone had any luck finding out when these might be in stock with dealers in North America? I emailed CA 4 days ago, and again yesterday, and haven't received a response. I guess they are all busy building the Solaris :)

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #772 of 12,035
Has anyone had any luck finding out when these might be in stock with dealers in North America? I emailed CA 4 days ago, and again yesterday, and haven't received a response. I guess they are all busy building the Solaris :)

Nope, and I'd like to know the same. Can't wait to demo them!

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #773 of 12,035
Nov 2, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #774 of 12,035
I think they'll be at retailers only in december

Probably right based on everything CA and Ken have said. I keep holding out hope that their 3 authorized distributors in the US will have a pair sooner...

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #775 of 12,035
Of course there's no such thing. Brains don't need to burn in. Honestly, likely, neither do speakers. BUT the psychological effect of 'burn in' (as a term this industry / forum has coined) weather physical drivers or crossovers changing (likely bull****) or 'brain burn in' (both perception and memory changing over time) is likely real in some form.
That's what I'm arguing... the supposed psychological effect. It is conjecture and less based in physics than moving parts needing to be warmed up or broken in.

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #776 of 12,035
The Phantom and Solaris are quite different. ...

I bought the Phantom about a month ago and, often, I find it to be dazzlingly good.

Once again, temptation rears its ugly head.

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #777 of 12,035
I emailed CA yesterday, and Hannah emailed me back. I ordered them directly from CA yesterday (Thursday) and they overnighted them to me. I have them in my possession. #40

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #778 of 12,035
I'll be soon able to report on Oriolus BA300S tube amp with Solaris, as well as an upgraded Hansound Zen (8 wires)... we shall see but this will be a lot of fun no doubt!
Messing around yesterday, I noted the Hansound Zen (4 wire) 4.4mm to create a bigger soundstage than the stock cable on my Noble Encore, but it removed a good part of the low end, which wasn't good? Interesting as bass enhancement has been reported to be one of the highlights of the cable? It will be interesting to read your findings.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #779 of 12,035
For those interested in the "burn in" changes, my experience roughly matches @davidmolliere and @twister6 - over 100hrs now by my count, and I feel three has been a change.

As to why, I'm open minded as to whether it's physical, familiarisation or just placebo, but when I wss emailing Ken about these, he did give two specific reasons he thought burn in was appropriate

He mentioned he thought the ADLC driver would reach full mechanical excursion after 5-6 days, and also thought the dielectric in the crossover design would play a part. I'm no sound science guru, so I'm happy to take Mr Ball at his word - either way, I'm happy I'm hearing a difference, whether it's in my head or my gear.

In other related news, the Solaris handle the new Prodigy album extremely well. Definitely don't leave me wanting moarrr bass!

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #780 of 12,035
Messing around yesterday, I noted the Hansound Zen (4 wire) 4.4mm to create a bigger soundstage than the stock cable on my Noble Encore, but it removed a good part of the low end, which wasn't good? Interesting as bass enhancement has been reported to be one of the highlights of the cable? It will be interesting to read your findings.

Yes indeed, I purchased it based on @flinkenick Hansound Zen review on THL and while it's not a bass focused cable it shoud be an enhancement over a stock cable in most case, not remove bass.

Nick wrote "Zen has good low-end extension, which reaches slightly deeper than Ares II. In addition, the general bass presentation has more body, which creates a generally warmer tone. Zen doesn’t have a severely enhanced bass, but it has a nice round texture that carries weight. Ares II’s bass in turn is more compact, and especially its upper bass is slightly more attenuated by comparison. This creates a cleaner stage, but also a slightly drier sound. Ares II’s bass is punchy, but it feels lighter and airier by comparison. Zen’s bass is warmer in tone, and can be considered more engaging."

It matches my experience so far... I don't expect the 8 wire to provide more bass than 4 wire, but it should help soundstage and extension. We'll see!

Now I don't know which cable you had the Encore running with before comparing, maybe something with highly enhanced bass?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back