Campfire - Solaris
Oct 31, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #646 of 12,035
Listening to Beck’s Sea Change. This album on these IEMs is out of this world truly. It’s like it was made to listen to this album.

Lurking but had to chime in on this post.

Pfurey89, Great observation...!!

When I did the fine tuning on the Solaris I also noted this album (Beck Sea Change) was almost a "religious" experience listing to the whole album via the Solaris. I had never had a experience with IEMs like I was having with the Solaris. This was how I came to feel that for the first time that a IEM could really give more of a proper 2 channel floor standing speaker experience. The imaging and width and placement of the vocals and instruments in the space in my head were just huge where normal very competent IEMs seemed so much flatter or 2d. There was a real physicality of the individual instruments and vocals, I think somewhat of a novel element in a IEM. This is really I knew this was something different and special. (sorry to sound all full of myself here but, just really happy with the earphone and achievement, most know me not to toot my own horn)

On a side story at RMAF I located one of my colleagues who works for a well known 2 channel HiFi company. After hours I asked him if he could quickly demo some IEMs I made, I thought, I trust this guy have always admired this guys take on HiFi. Ok this guy is more of a stone cold 2 channel guy, big into vinyl and again floor standing gear, not a huge fan of IEMs / personal hifi. Anyhow he was walking around the bar and what not listening for just a short moment before I had to run to get my ride to dinner so I was not able to speak much with him when I took them back. Next day I caught up with him. He said later that night he went back to his room and listened to the same album using all his gear and told me he was literally screaming, "damed you Ken Ball!!" He said this album he used to demo the Solaris now was somewhat tarnished because nothing sounded as good as he remembered though the Solaris. You guys all know when your flying high its hard as hell to come down yeah. It was I think perhaps the best complement anyone had ever had. If I could do one thing with all this, it would be to bring more hard core 2 channel peeps into our little world of high end personal hifi, that would be so cool.

I did ask my friend who runs a well known recording studio "why does Becks Sea Change album sound like 10x better that other recordings" some nuggets were:

The recording was all analog, no pro tools, then something about Beck asking Bob Ludwig not to use limiters on Sea Change. Digital limiting is really bad for hifi recordings. More stuff but it went right over my head :)

Anyhow if you guys have a good rip or better a 24bit flac of Sea Change, the Solaris will really shine.

Ok back to work here in Shanghai for the show.

Ken

Last edited:
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 31, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #648 of 12,035
What? Really? How would you compare to the Atlas bass if you've heard it? I too primarily listen to electronic music of all sorts and I'm in love with the Atlas.

I've been getting a little worried as well about bass impressions from the early Solaris crowd.

Solaris isn't bass light, but it's certainly not at the quantity level of the Atlas. I don't hear these as lacking in the low end (and I'm a borderline audiophile basshead these days after the Vega, Atlas and Cascade) - however, I prefer the foam tips and can get a good deep seal as my ear canals are about the same size as a car exhaust. :wink:

In terms of texture, layering, detail in the low end, I think Solaris have the edge. As the only crossover is set to cover the twin BAs / TAEC that covers the treble, I suspect the vented midrange BA may be contributing a little of the extra detail down low.

Added another 20 or so hrs now (or more), and the bass feels a little tighter now (may just be placebo / in my head though) .As some people havd mentioned, the Solaris doesn't "wow" straight out of the gate with one specific thing, but the more you listen, the more you realise EVERYTHING is just really well done, with no real weakness.

Just got back from a Sheepdogs gig so no listening for me tonight - should be near the 100hr mark tomorrow, so will hopefully get some time to post some more impressions.

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #649 of 12,035

When I did the fine tuning on the Solaris I also noted this album (Beck Sea Change) was almost a "religious" experience listing to the whole album via the Solaris. I had never had a experience with IEMs like I was having with the Solaris. This was how I came to feel that for the first time that a IEM could really give more of a proper 2 channel floor standing speaker experience. The imaging and width and placement of the vocals and instruments in the space in my head were just huge where normal very competent IEMs seemed so much flatter or 2d. There was a real physicality of the individual instruments and vocals, I think somewhat of a novel element in a IEM. This is really I knew this was something different and special. (sorry to sound all full of myself here but, just really happy with the earphone and achievement, most know me not to toot my own horn)

On a side story at RMAF I located one of my colleagues who works for a well known 2 channel HiFi company. After hours I asked him if he could quickly demo some IEMs I made, I thought, I trust this guy have always admired this guys take on HiFi. Ok this guy is more of a stone cold 2 channel guy, big into vinyl and again floor standing gear, not a huge fan of IEMs / personal hifi. Anyhow he was walking around the bar and what not listening for just a short moment before I had to run to get my ride to dinner so I was not able to speak much with him when I took them back. Next day I caught up with him. He said later that night he went back to his room and listened to the same album using all his gear and told me he was literally screaming, "damed you Ken Ball!!" He said this album he used to demo the Solaris now was somewhat tarnished because nothing sounded as good as he remembered though the Solaris. You guys all know when your flying high its hard as hell to come down yeah. It was I think perhaps the best complement anyone had ever had. If I could do one thing with all this, it would be to bring more hard core 2 channel peeps into our little world of high end personal hifi, that would be so cool.

I did ask my friend who runs a well known recording studio "why does Becks Sea Change album sound like 10x better that other recordings" some nuggets were:

The recording was all analog, no pro tools, then something about Beck asking Bob Ludwig not to use limiters on Sea Change. Digital limiting is really bad for hifi recordings. More stuff but it went right over my head :)

Anyhow if you guys have a good rip or better a 24bit flac of Sea Change, the Solaris will really shine.

Ken

D8856FF8-13FB-4A27-BFE6-89724B89F62C.jpeg

It on my list. I might put it on my DX200 today.
(Beck - Sea change).

See how the Solaris is now after 100 hours or so with the same album I first tried them with.

(D’oh! I should have done this sooner).

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #650 of 12,035
Which tips do you use? And do you use the stock memory cable? I'm concerned they'd fall out due to the weight?

The Andromeda thread is still quite active and you can get a lot of good info there. Since I'm here though, I finally settled on the Final silicon tips that come with it. Also trying the RHA silicon since it looks better on the S :) . I am making heavy use of the memory wire which I have no problem with (I think I actually prefer to have the precise cable guide around my ear). I don't feel there a lot of difference between the S and Green in terms of how securely they fit. if you plan to run or jump around, that might change, but for static listening and walking around I've had no problem with either the S or the Green.

I do see the extra weight as a disadvantage, but the S makes up for it with the improved looks (I'm thinking here about closeup details, because at arm's length I also really liked the Green) and the much better haptics and heat (i.e. condensation) control.

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #651 of 12,035
The Andromeda thread is still quite active and you can get a lot of good info there. Since I'm here though, I finally settled on the Final silicon tips that come with it. Also trying the RHA silicon since it looks better on the S :) . I am making heavy use of the memory wire which I have no problem with (I think I actually prefer to have the precise cable guide around my ear). I don't feel there a lot of difference between the S and Green in terms of how securely they fit. if you plan to run or jump around, that might change, but for static listening and walking around I've had no problem with either the S or the Green.

I do see the extra weight as a disadvantage, but the S makes up for it with the improved looks (I'm thinking here about closeup details, because at arm's length I also really liked the Green) and the much better haptics and heat (i.e. condensation) control.

Thanks this is helpful. I'm asking here because I'm assuming the Solaris will have similar issues with fit and tips, and it too weighs more than the greens.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #652 of 12,035
Thanks this is helpful. I'm asking here because I'm assuming the Solaris will have similar issues with fit and tips, and it too weighs more than the greens.

I think with the Solaris the issue might be more with location of center of gravity than weight itself. Still, based on the early impressions it doesn't sound like anyone's having any serious problems with fit.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #653 of 12,035
I was going for the IER-Z1ER before the Solaris was announced... what will be interesting is tuning differences from impressions the Z1R might hit harder bass wise, I have trouble imagining better treble than Solaris but who knows. I am going to say the same about the mids, really outstanding balance has been reached and musicality is off the charts. Z1R mids have not been very detailed in first impressions. Now apparently Solaris and IER-Z1R both share a huge soundstage with a speaker like presentation. One can dream but since @KB himself A/B'ed them I'd love to hear more about it :p
By the way Sony has the high frequency tweeter. So treble might just be up there. I think this is gonna be great rumble.
Decisions decisions decisions.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #654 of 12,035
Can't tell for the Solaris, but Vega is just gorgeous with electronic music. Just listened the album you mentioned and it was a pleasure.

I am kinda worried with others impressions about "quality not quantity" bass of the Solaris.

Thanks a lot, dude.

I'll try to demo both Atlas and Vega, and make up my mind then. From what I've read lately, they seem better suited for electronic music than the Solaris. Fit will be a deciding factor between the two.

Cheers !

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #655 of 12,035

Ken

Ken!

This is the coolest thing ever. Glad I am not just making this up. It really is a religious experience. :) You’ve done a wonderful job on these. I can’t wait for a 4.4 balanced cable from you to compliment them.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #656 of 12,035
Aight my friend, who has a 64 Audio U12t, said this "I wanted to say something bad about the Solaris but I cannot" :p

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #657 of 12,035
Is there anything public about when the distributors are getting them? I'd love to stop by Audio46 to demo a pair...

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #658 of 12,035
I currently own the Vegas and Orions. After using the vegas exclusively for the past few months I want an Iem thats more balanced but still not bass anemic.

Based on these impressions I almost have to place an order. I travel alot and I'm worried how the Solaris will fare during my trips.

How is isolation with these? Will they keep me in my own world on a noisy train or on the airplane?

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #660 of 12,035
How is isolation with these? Will they keep me in my own world on a noisy train or on the airplane?

Good question...this is a concern for me too. The isolation with my Etymotics is superb and I'm not looking to lose one bit of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back