Campfire - Solaris
Oct 31, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #661 of 12,035
Lurking but had to chime in on this post.

Pfurey89, Great observation...!!

When I did the fine tuning on the Solaris I also noted this album (Beck Sea Change) was almost a "religious" experience listing to the whole album via the Solaris. I had never had a experience with IEMs like I was having with the Solaris. This was how I came to feel that for the first time that a IEM could really give more of a proper 2 channel floor standing speaker experience. The imaging and width and placement of the vocals and instruments in the space in my head were just huge where normal very competent IEMs seemed so much flatter or 2d. There was a real physicality of the individual instruments and vocals, I think somewhat of a novel element in a IEM. This is really I knew this was something different and special. (sorry to sound all full of myself here but, just really happy with the earphone and achievement, most know me not to toot my own horn)

On a side story at RMAF I located one of my colleagues who works for a well known 2 channel HiFi company. After hours I asked him if he could quickly demo some IEMs I made, I thought, I trust this guy have always admired this guys take on HiFi. Ok this guy is more of a stone cold 2 channel guy, big into vinyl and again floor standing gear, not a huge fan of IEMs / personal hifi. Anyhow he was walking around the bar and what not listening for just a short moment before I had to run to get my ride to dinner so I was not able to speak much with him when I took them back. Next day I caught up with him. He said later that night he went back to his room and listened to the same album using all his gear and told me he was literally screaming, "damed you Ken Ball!!" He said this album he used to demo the Solaris now was somewhat tarnished because nothing sounded as good as he remembered though the Solaris. You guys all know when your flying high its hard as hell to come down yeah. It was I think perhaps the best complement anyone had ever had. If I could do one thing with all this, it would be to bring more hard core 2 channel peeps into our little world of high end personal hifi, that would be so cool.

I did ask my friend who runs a well known recording studio "why does Becks Sea Change album sound like 10x better that other recordings" some nuggets were:

The recording was all analog, no pro tools, then something about Beck asking Bob Ludwig not to use limiters on Sea Change. Digital limiting is really bad for hifi recordings. More stuff but it went right over my head :)

Anyhow if you guys have a good rip or better a 24bit flac of Sea Change, the Solaris will really shine.

Ok back to work here in Shanghai for the show.

Ken

This album got me through law school. I haven't listened to it in years. Need to rip to flac asap an spin it again.

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #662 of 12,035
How would you compare these to the Phantom so far? Bass extension? Vocals?

The Phantom and Solaris are quite different.The Phantom has more bass impact (at least right now, let's wait until fully burnt in), its mids are thicker and there is much less sparkle in the treble department. The Solaris has a considerably bigger soundstage and in particular depth is just as good as it gets I haven't heard a soundstage like this aside from LCD i4 or U18t. Separation is better than Phantom while remaining just as coherent there is simply more air by way of its treble. Imaging is clearer I mean the spatial cues are so good and so natural. Treble is well... sublime on the Solaris. It bring a lot of excitement without the fatigue... quite a feat!

Last but not least... Solaris has better texture but then I haven't heard any IEM with such textures, it makes for such a richness to the sound...

By the way Sony has the high frequency tweeter. So treble might just be up there. I think this is gonna be great rumble.
Decisions decisions decisions.

Yeah I know 5mm dynamic driver for the highs in the IER-Z1R...

Honestly given where the Solaris is at : I don't think any tech will give superior advantage, at least not without tuning on top. The Solaris tuning is so well thought and matches my preferences so well that it's going to be tough to beat for me...

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #663 of 12,035
I think both Phantom and LX feel veiled vs Solaris. They have more bass quantity but smaller stage, recessed treble, and mids are too thick for me. Solaris sounds more nautral, open, and higher fidelity overall. No offense intended to EE owners, different strokes for different folks!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #664 of 12,035
Probably $1500, sounds about right.

If you haven't delved into the ChiFi world you would be surprised what they pull off at the price point. You do risk some QC and warranty though. Ibasso is a reputable ChiFi company and the IT04, which is a 5 driver Hybrid, goes for $500. Doesn't have the CF build though but it's still high quality and has great reviews.
I have been really hoping that someone would post a comparison of the sound signature of the it04 and the Solaris. No doubt the build quality are as different as different can be. I get it. But what about the sound signature...?

Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #666 of 12,035
Isolation is normal for IEMs. Not ety or custom isolation but the same as nearly every other universal iem.

Thanks. Forgive the ignorant question, but is there any leakage at high volume for Solaris (or in your general reference to IEMs other than Ety or custom)?

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #667 of 12,035
How do these fare with electronic music ?

Still debating with myself on which IEM I should get. Granted that I value a bass (clean, fast, detailed) that wouldnt bleed over mids.
I'm leaning towards Vega atm, Atlas seems too difficult with the fitting and I fear that Solaris might be too big for my small ears too .. I also had the Xelento in mind (can get it around 800€ new) or the Hyla CE-5 but I'm concerned with Japanese customer support lol.

Would be so happy if anyone can try these with the Skee Mask - Compro album which exhibits some nice frequencies, quick kicks, sub bass etc. Thank you <3

I'd pass on the Vega. The bass can be very overpowering unless you like an extreme V shaped signature. If you want clean and fast bass the U12t sounded great to me, but I'd go with the A12t as you'll get a better seal which will make it sound even better. The Solaris reviews sound good so I'd wait and see if this is for you.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #668 of 12,035
It's been great to get to read all the impressions, and am really looking forward to more, as they're broken in. After exploring Andro-S sound for a few more months, I'm really going to want to upgrade. Can't part with Vega, and i don't think ever. That bass slam occupies a soft spot in my heart.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #669 of 12,035
I have been really hoping that someone would post a comparison of the sound signature of the it04 and the Solaris. No doubt the build quality are as different as different can be. I get it. But what about the sound signature...?

Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?

I recall IT04 as an unrefined digital sounding V shape w/ hollow and unnatural midrange. On paper it tries to do what the Hyla CE-5 does but falls short by a mile. IT04 build quality is great for the price but sound quality is not even in the ballpark of Solaris, way outclassed.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #670 of 12,035
I recall IT04 as an unrefined digital sounding V shape w/ hollow and unnatural midrange. On paper it tries to do what the Hyla CE-5 does but falls short by a mile. IT04 build quality is great for the price but sound quality is not even in the ballpark of Solaris, way outclassed.
Awesome - that is what I needed to hear since that was my alternative if it was close (don't care about the CA bling vs the more pedestrian ibasso look, but I do care about the sound)

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #671 of 12,035
Perfect description of the IT04. It was the mids I had issue with, but didn’t know why; you explained it.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #672 of 12,035
My unboxing photo essay is up on Head pie

FULL Unboxing pics!

https://www.headpie.net/2018/11/campfire-audio-solaris-unboxing.html?m=1

I will post (some of) the photos here also when I select which ones.
There are a lot and I dont want to spam up this thread.

279B18F6-251D-4F49-91C3-44A9F8C6E0E8.jpeg

Unboxing, fit, size comparisons etc.

Enjoy.
Expat

Attachments

• 26D012B4-220D-4315-913B-FF615FE74C48.png
    26D012B4-220D-4315-913B-FF615FE74C48.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #673 of 12,035
All this talk of Beck - Sea Change has me curious. Not particularly a fan, but am enjoying it quite nicely. Found it in .dsf form, so am really excited to hear that way in a little bit.

Would someone be so kind as to listen to some Goldfrapp (Felt Mountain, Tales of Us, or Silver Eye) and Shpongle (CODEX VI) and let me know what you think?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back