Campfire - Solaris
Oct 30, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #451 of 12,035
Universal IMO is better. Custom is great when it fits, but over time both technology and ear shapes may change. Buy universal and sell at minimal loss and buy the new flavor of the month is far better to me than rocking outdated custom fit products. Imagine if your only IEM was like a 7 year old custom? How far have we come since then?
Yea, im wary of getting customs just because I know my ear canals aren't always a constant. Depending on current health or whatnot they seem to change slightly from week to week.

I also saw that Comply now offers 'custom strips' to solve fit issues with CIEMs. So I take it perfect fit isn't always the norm with those.

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #452 of 12,035
I had perfect fitting customs (had for 6mo+) + a sinus infection that was so bad they became unwearable. Even when I was no longer sick the customs never sat back the way they should have, so I had to sell at a massive loss and move-on. Wasn't worth reshelling to me for $600+ or whatever. Huge and total waste of time and mental energy. Never again. Universals have gotten so good, and there are so many great tip options you're surely able to find something that works for you.

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #453 of 12,035
I'm in the same boat, 85% of my aftermarket cables are 2pin. So, don't expect cable rolling from me any time soon :wink: But I'm looking now into some of those ultra-short 2pin to mmcx adapters (had a pair from Sammy/Rhapsodio on the way to me, but it got lost in the mail :frowning2: ).

And, I have to second the comment about removing memory wire. At least in my case it has to do with my ears being smaller and i can't make a wire loop comfortable enough without pulling on monitors. After removing it off, the fit improved by a margin.

I'd like to get some adapters as would like to keep my 2 pin cables. Are Sammy's the best available? Would they potentially interfere with the sound?

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #455 of 12,035
Don't know if it is allowed, but here are impressions from Ryan Soo - https://everydaylistening.net/2018/10/29/campfire-audio-solaris-impressions/
2lc3qq.jpg

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #456 of 12,035
Ryan Soo is right with his impressions..... i have them in my ears right now and these are fantastic with SPKSS, great job CA !!! When you love Andro like i do, this is a no brainer. Very fun to listen to and now it´s time to burn-in....

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #457 of 12,035
Anyone using the Andro or Solaris with a Samsung phone?
I'm currently the AndromedaS with a Galaxy S8. No problem blowing out my ear drums with this setup. Highest I normally go to is about 70% max volume. In terms of sound quality I like it enough to not feel pressed to get a dedicated source. I have auditioned a few DAPs/DACs inlcuding AK Ultima, AK 70, FiiO X53, Opus#s but the difference was too small to my ears to justify the money and loss of convenience.
[...] the Solaris is a bargain.
It's insulting to CA and KB who have worked hard to develop this product and priced it lower than other totl universal hybrids and yet people continue to complain about price.
Oh, Geezus!
Solaris is perfectly priced infact I would call it underpriced for a flagship.
Also to show my support I already placed in an order.
Double Oh, Geezus!

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #459 of 12,035
I'm currently the AndromedaS with a Galaxy S8. No problem blowing out my ear drums with this setup. Highest I normally go to is about 70% max volume. In terms of sound quality I like it enough to not feel pressed to get a dedicated source. I have auditioned a few DAPs/DACs inlcuding AK Ultima, AK 70, FiiO X53, Opus#s but the difference was too small to my ears to justify the money and loss of convenience.

Thanks, that's helpful. I don't know what it is about my setup with the Note8, but I have to use max volume on most albums with my ER4XR's. Looking forward to new IEMs at least to avoid that issue, not to mention better sound.

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #462 of 12,035
I must confess, I am very excited to receive the Solaris tomorrow, I feel like a kid :p !

@Jackpot77, @twister6 and Ryan Soo and also somewhere else purr1n impressions are painting a very exciting picture of what the Solaris is capable of :)

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #465 of 12,035
I must confess, I am very excited to receive the Solaris tomorrow, I feel like a kid :p !

@Jackpot77, @twister6 and Ryan Soo and also somewhere else purr1n impressions are painting a very exciting picture of what the Solaris is capable of :)

Cher Molière, fellow Parisian,

Can't wait for your first impressions. As an apprentice audiophile, I've been saving up a bit lately, in order to get my very first TOTL IEM.

In fact, I was just hesitating between Andromeda and Vega, but now I need to consider this beautiful Solaris... Might be the perfect road in between a "fun", engaging signature and a shining top end... Hurts the wallet tho ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back