Campfire - Solaris
Oct 30, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #438 of 12,035
I should get it tomorrow morning so I don't know, maybe, lucky for you then!

I'd like to hear your comparison of the Solaris and the Z1R when you get it and especially about how long you can wear each comfortably. I have no doubt that they both sound good. They are both large, but at least the Solaris looks to be more comfortable and lighter.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #439 of 12,035
I'd like to hear your comparison of the Solaris and the Z1R when you get it and especially about how long you can wear each comfortably. I have no doubt that they both sound good. They are both large, but at least the Solaris looks to be more comfortable and lighter.

Same!

From what Ken said in another thread about them:
Sure Im biased.. but, I did a covert A/B Solaris / Z1R when I was at the HK audio show recently... all I can say is :) :):):) feeling pre-tty good. I did really like the Z1R but the price is too Takai. I think we are now just entering a very exciting time for high preforming IEMs advancement. I do wish the driver technology was better, but I do see some recent movement for finally for better performance. I think there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Ken

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #440 of 12,035

Well not sure I'll get the Z1R now but I'll try to get an audition and compare eventually.

Mine hasn't even shipped yet either ha, I wonder how long it takes to make one from start to finish.
You'll definitely have to post pics! In-ear especially

I will but this might not help you as I have big ears and large ear canals, I learned this when I did the prints for my CIEMs :p

Same!

From what Ken said in another thread about them:
Sure Im biased.. but, I did a covert A/B Solaris / Z1R when I was at the HK audio show recently... all I can say is :) :):):) feeling pre-tty good. I did really like the Z1R but the price is too Takai. I think we are now just entering a very exciting time for high preforming IEMs advancement. I do wish the driver technology was better, but I do see some recent movement for finally for better performance. I think there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Ken

I had seen that... and it influenced me somewhat...
You mean another forum :zipper_mouth:

About driver technology... I'd like to see Campfire give a shot at a closed planar, or planar hybrid IEM :p But let's not get ahead of ourselves, the Solaris will give plenty to enjoy I am sure!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #441 of 12,035
Solaris is one of the larger iem currently on the market, it is very uncomfortable to wear especially with the memory wires, but if you get rid of the memory wires and heat skrink the clear sleeve and mold it like a hook, just like effect audio cable then it is very comfortable to wear, I did that to my cable and when wear the Solaris I hardly notice it even on my ears

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #442 of 12,035
Well not sure I'll get the Z1R now but I'll try to get an audition and compare eventually.

I will but this might not help you as I have big ears and large ear canals, I learned this when I did the prints for my CIEMs :p

About driver technology... I'd like to see Campfire give a shot at a closed planar, or planar hybrid IEM :p But let's not get ahead of ourselves, the Solaris will give plenty to enjoy I am sure!
I always thought Planars need to have larger drivers for them to be TOTL tier. Only the LCD i4 is at that level and it's huge. idk if that is true.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #443 of 12,035
Solaris is one of the larger iem currently on the market, it is very uncomfortable to wear especially with the memory wires, but if you get rid of the memory wires and heat skrink the clear sleeve and mold it like a hook, just like effect audio cable then it is very comfortable to wear, I did that to my cable and when wear the Solaris I hardly notice it even on my ears

I'll be curious about cable synergy feedback... I'll try them with my balanced Hansound Zen tomorrow... I am lacking MMCX terminated cables all the rest is 2 pin... I might get a Thor II 8 wires down the line I really liked that cable but I'll wait to wrap my head around the Solaris first to decide which cable way to go.

I always thought Planars need to have larger drivers for them to be TOTL tier. Only the LCD i4 is at that level and it's huge. idk if that is true.

Well, you can check my review of RHA CL2 (10mm planar driver)... Having owned the LCD i4 (30mm driver) I prefer the CL2, but that's related to their tuning. On top of that, they're closed back :)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #444 of 12,035

Meant to say forum***
And let's let the Solaris hold the fort for at least two years? :L3000: But at the rate companies are release IEMs...

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #445 of 12,035
Back to the challenge at hand, I too was going to wait for the Sony IER-Z1R as well as I was ready for my next IEM experience, and while I had never listened to the Campfire array of earphones, specifically the Andromeda was very intrigued. Then along comes the Solaris, and I could not resist, so placed the order on Saturday night, one of the first on backorder, now wondering how long it will take to fulfill, hopefully days not weeks :)

Very interested in the fit experience, as I consistently have trouble with my Noble Encore Universal and getting the right tips / fit, always fiddling and losing it out of my right ear. Was considering CIEM's for that reason but hoping Solaris fit will be better, any thoughts impressions appreciated!

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #446 of 12,035
Back to the challenge at hand, I too was going to wait for the Sony IER-Z1R as well as I was ready for my next IEM experience, and while I had never listened to the Campfire array of earphones, specifically the Andromeda was very intrigued. Then along comes the Solaris, and I could not resist, so placed the order on Saturday night, one of the first on backorder, now wondering how long it will take to fulfill, hopefully days not weeks :)

Very interested in the fit experience, as I consistently have trouble with my Noble Encore Universal and getting the right tips / fit, always fiddling and losing it out of my right ear. Was considering CIEM's for that reason but hoping Solaris fit will be better, any thoughts impressions appreciated!
Nothing beats CIEMs for fit :p
Hopefully the sound will be worth it for me to go back to UIEMs again

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #447 of 12,035

Nothing beats CIEMs for fit :p
Hopefully the sound will be worth it for me to go back to UIEMs again

We can always just get Snugs for the Solaris if the fit isn't perfect?

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #448 of 12,035
Universal IMO is better. Custom is great when it fits, but over time both technology and ear shapes may change. Buy universal and sell at minimal loss and buy the new flavor of the month is far better to me than rocking outdated custom fit products. Imagine if your only IEM was like a 7 year old custom? How far have we come since then?

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #449 of 12,035
I'll be curious about cable synergy feedback... I'll try them with my balanced Hansound Zen tomorrow... I am lacking MMCX terminated cables all the rest is 2 pin... I might get a Thor II 8 wires down the line I really liked that cable but I'll wait to wrap my head around the Solaris first to decide which cable way to go.

I'm in the same boat, 85% of my aftermarket cables are 2pin. So, don't expect cable rolling from me any time soon :wink: But I'm looking now into some of those ultra-short 2pin to mmcx adapters (had a pair from Sammy/Rhapsodio on the way to me, but it got lost in the mail :frowning2: ).

And, I have to second the comment about removing memory wire. At least in my case it has to do with my ears being smaller and i can't make a wire loop comfortable enough without pulling on monitors. After removing it off, the fit improved by a margin.

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #450 of 12,035
I'm in the same boat, 85% of my aftermarket cables are 2pin. So, don't expect cable rolling from me any time soon :wink: But I'm looking now into some of those ultra-short 2pin to mmcx adapters (had a pair from Sammy/Rhapsodio on the way to me, but it got lost in the mail :frowning2: ).

And, I have to second the comment about removing memory wire. At least in my case it has to do with my ears being smaller and i can't make a wire loop comfortable enough without pulling on monitors. After removing it off, the fit improved by a margin.
I always find that 2 pin connectors become loose after a few removals. I hope MMCX is better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back