Campfire - Solaris
Oct 30, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #11,461 of 12,035
Hey guys,

Really interesting reading regroups the comments regarding cable performance with the Solaris 2020.

I use the EA Virtuoso (ConX reverse - 4.4mm), with Ibasso DX312.

On mid gain-setting on DAP, there is no audible hiss, but I’ve noticed a hiss with most other daps (including ifi go blu, which is really harsh).

I find that the virtuoso cable tightens bass (which in effect diminishes the sub bass rumble), but slightly increases soundstage compared to super smoky lite cable (not sure if it being balanced helps with this)?

I’m also looking for an upgrade cable, that will really get the most out of bass whilst also improving music separation and keeping a wider soundstage.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #11,462 of 12,035
Hey guys,

Really interesting reading regroups the comments regarding cable performance with the Solaris 2020.

On mid gain-setting on DAP, there is no audible hiss, but I’ve noticed a hiss with most other daps (including ifi go blu, which is really harsh).

I find that the virtuoso cable tightens bass (which in effect diminishes the sub bass rumble), but slightly increases soundstage compared to super smoky lite cable (not sure if it being balanced helps with this)?

I’m also looking for an upgrade cable, that will really get the most out of bass whilst also improving music separation and keeping a wider soundstage.

DHC Clone Silver.

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #11,463 of 12,035
Hey guys,

probably any high quality OCC copper will do, if you want to get the most out of your bass, in my cable rolling i've found that copper is easily the most musical and definitely has the most bass presence, however it's not as clean or well seperated as silver.

palladium and gold etc are a mixbag and are different with every cable, but from my experience the SPC cables i've tried kind of get the worst of both worlds, best spc i tried was the prudence 8, but in my opinion it was still lacking in the end, and paired best with mid centric iems.

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #11,464 of 12,035
probably any high quality OCC copper will do, if you want to get the most out of your bass, in my cable rolling i've found that copper is easily the most musical and definitely has the most bass presence, however it's not as clean or well seperated as silver.

palladium and gold etc are a mixbag and are different with every cable, but from my experience the SPC cables i've tried kind of get the worst of both worlds, best spc i tried was the prudence 8, but in my opinion it was still lacking in the end, and paired best with mid centric iems.
Avoid any plated or alloy cables. High quality OCC copper cables will give you more bass. But an OCC silver cable of adequate construction will provide deep detailed bass (equal to or better than copper) along with smooth clear highs.

A great read on cable construction can be found at https://doublehelixcables.com/faq/ under "What about gold alloy or gold plated cables?".

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #11,465 of 12,035
Avoid any plated or alloy cables. High quality OCC copper cables will give you more bass. But an OCC silver cable of adequate construction will provide deep detailed bass (equal to or better than copper) along with smooth clear highs.

A great read on cable construction can be found at https://doublehelixcables.com/faq/ under "What about gold alloy or gold plated cables?".
i like dhc's mentality and all, but it does not mean it's instantly superior to all other brands, and i'm sure certain platings / alloys can do good if not better than pure occ on some pairs

Oct 31, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #11,466 of 12,035
i like dhc's mentality and all, but it does not mean it's instantly superior to all other brands, and i'm sure certain platings / alloys can do good if not better than pure occ on some pairs
To my ears all plated cables I've heard do something to the sound that degraded the sound once I compared them to pure OCC copper, OCC silver or braided OCC copper and silver cables.

If you look in my signature I do own silver and gold plated cables (which I will be selling off).

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #11,467 of 12,035
To my ears all plated cables I've heard do something to the sound that degraded the sound once I compared them to pure OCC copper, OCC silver or braided OCC copper and silver cables.

If you look in my signature I do own silver and gold plated cables (which I will be selling off).
i do understand what you're saying, however when it comes to plated cables it becomes very hit or miss.

i'm more of a fan of OCC copper myself, and it is the safer choice out there for sure

Nov 1, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #11,468 of 12,035
https://campfireaudio.com/shop/solaris-shrink-ray/

1635747026026.png

Nov 2, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #11,470 of 12,035
b18c4ec3-d66f-43dd-b22f-4cd9b23f24d7.jpeg

A highly coveted special edition is back from the depths! Less than 10 sets available!

Nov 2, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #11,471 of 12,035
b18c4ec3-d66f-43dd-b22f-4cd9b23f24d7.jpeg

A highly coveted special edition is back from the depths! Less than 10 sets available!

It looks like they're already sold out.

Nov 2, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #11,472 of 12,035
Nov 2, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #11,474 of 12,035
Portland time?
The email went out to those who signed up and I think they are sending it out early so those who are getting the emails get a better shot at getting these units.

So I think it's Midnight PDT.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #11,475 of 12,035
The email went out to those who signed up and I think they are sending it out early so those who are getting the emails get a better shot at getting these units.

So I think it's Midnight PDT.

If that's how they're doing it I'm glad-- I might stay up until midnight tonight just to check...in the unlikely event I decide I really want tomorrow's offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back