Campfire - Solaris
Nov 12, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #11,492 of 12,035
OG, I was hearing and reading mixed things about the 2020 model, and these turned up cheap with warranty so couldn't resist.
That’s sounds like a pretty good deal. Enjoy! I always fancied the OG and expected to go that way but the 2020 came up for me at a v good price and I am enjoying them immensely. The top end (higher mids/treble) can occasionally run a tad hot at higher Volumes but I take that for an indication that I am maybe listening too loud. Other than that... Top of the Pops!

Nov 14, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #11,493 of 12,035
That’s sounds like a pretty good deal. Enjoy! I always fancied the OG and expected to go that way but the 2020 came up for me at a v good price and I am enjoying them immensely. The top end (higher mids/treble) can occasionally run a tad hot at higher Volumes but I take that for an indication that I am maybe listening too loud. Other than that... Top of the Pops!
Man, indeed, they're fab!

There is one issue though. When I switch back to my P9s or Elegias at home, as a headphone, I'm a tad disappointed. The Solaris are so engaging & detailed, and just as big sounding as a headphone that the deficiencies or my normal gotos are becoming a bit obvious, I didn't think an iem would close tha gap. I'm quite surprised!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #11,494 of 12,035
Man, indeed, they're fab!

There is one issue though. When I switch back to my P9s or Elegias at home, as a headphone, I'm a tad disappointed. The Solaris are so engaging & detailed, and just as big sounding as a headphone that the deficiencies or my normal gotos are becoming a bit obvious, I didn't think an iem would close tha gap. I'm quite surprised!
Good Good, great you are enjoying them. Which tips/source/cables are you using out of interest?

I got a NiceHCK C4-1 Balanced SPC cable from AliChin at a decent price a couples of weeks ago now and it’s taken the Solaris up a couple of notches from the stock and also a notch above PW Audios No10 8 wire too (3 times the price btw.). For portability (and converting my CD collection) I also recently acquired the Cowon Plenue 2 Dap after being swayed by a deal but ultimately underwhelmed by the Ak-Sr15 (lacking refinement and too digital/sterile for my liking.) The P2 is far more natural sounding and the options to control your preferred sound signature with the onboard effects/EQ is a great option to have. Synergy is good with 2020’s. I did not clarify in my previous post that the very occasional hotspots in the treble are probably more down to low resolution files or shoddy production. I also use the OG Hugo (my benchmark) for streaming and searching new tunes on YT etc and it’s a few tiers higher than the P2 IMO .

Never heard the OG’s but I am finding the 20’s to be v good. I buy British when I can & I used to have the P9’s myself which were enjoyable after the P7’s but upgradiatius/curiosity got the better of me and I got the Quad Era’s (Planar). Very nicely refined/spacious & sonically superior but are a large set of cans and were rather cumbersome, so not the most practical, definitely not for out and about. Still enjoying the CA Cascades for indoors atm but Mr.Upgrade with some ZMF’s and Fostex Th900/909’s is calling me on the other line! Bloody nature of this game!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #11,496 of 12,035
Does anyone have an A&K SP1000M? I would like to know if this DAP is noiseless with the Solaris 2020?(Completely dark background)
I do not have the SPk but I do have the completely under rated Cowon P2 (half the price) and if streaming and Bt are not a considering factor for you, the P2 is completely black with the 2020’s... in fact it’s blacker than Satan’s Anus so much so that poignantly, is virtually impossible to neither hear nor see!

If that’s any help.

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #11,497 of 12,035
I do not have the SPk but I do have the completely under rated Cowon P2 (half the price) and if streaming and Bt are not a considering factor for you, the P2 is completely black with the 2020’s... in fact it’s blacker than Satan’s Anus so much so that poignantly, is virtually impossible to neither hear nor see!

If that’s any help.
Thank you for your reply. I know cowon dap has the completely black background, but its tuning style is really not my cup of tea. So yep, unfortunately.

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #11,498 of 12,035
Thank you for your reply. I know cowon dap has the completely black background, but its tuning style is really not my cup of tea. So yep, unfortunately.
No woes bro... maybe check out the Ak thread if you have not already... if I remember correctly the Andros (sensitive) struggled a bit with the Ak’s in general but not sure about the Sols however.

Good luck in your pursuit anyhow...

Nov 15, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #11,500 of 12,035
Good Good, great you are enjoying them. Which tips/source/cables are you using out of interest?

I got a NiceHCK C4-1 Balanced SPC cable from AliChin at a decent price a couples of weeks ago now and it’s taken the Solaris up a couple of notches from the stock and also a notch above PW Audios No10 8 wire too (3 times the price btw.). For portability (and converting my CD collection) I also recently acquired the Cowon Plenue 2 Dap after being swayed by a deal but ultimately underwhelmed by the Ak-Sr15 (lacking refinement and too digital/sterile for my liking.) The P2 is far more natural sounding and the options to control your preferred sound signature with the onboard effects/EQ is a great option to have. Synergy is good with 2020’s. I did not clarify in my previous post that the very occasional hotspots in the treble are probably more down to low resolution files or shoddy production. I also use the OG Hugo (my benchmark) for streaming and searching new tunes on YT etc and it’s a few tiers higher than the P2 IMO .

Never heard the OG’s but I am finding the 20’s to be v good. I buy British when I can & I used to have the P9’s myself which were enjoyable after the P7’s but upgradiatius/curiosity got the better of me and I got the Quad Era’s (Planar). Very nicely refined/spacious & sonically superior but are a large set of cans and were rather cumbersome, so not the most practical, definitely not for out and about. Still enjoying the CA Cascades for indoors atm but Mr.Upgrade with some ZMF’s and Fostex Th900/909’s is calling me on the other line! Bloody nature of this game!
Atm Im using a wm1a running wm1z firmware as a source, its warm and lush, great player (much better with the firmware!)
Using the stock cable, and the Final tips. Got some symbios on the way.
The P9/P7 are fantastic value, I own both. i had the TH909 btw, I actually preferred the p9 for what its worth and flogged the TH909 lol

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #11,501 of 12,035
Atm Im using a wm1a running wm1z firmware as a source, its warm and lush, great player (much better with the firmware!)
Using the stock cable, and the Final tips. Got some symbios on the way.
The P9/P7 are fantastic value, I own both. i had the TH909 btw, I actually preferred the p9 for what its worth and flogged the TH909 lol
Aye, I’ve heard/read many great things regarding the Sony players and can only Imagine that their synergies with any Solaris to be top notch.

I tried out the Symbios (with foam) a few years back with the CA Jupiter’s and had fit issues so unfortunately did not get on with them... have been successfully using the Xelastecs with the Solaris and so far have been the best SQ/Fit with minimal fiddling for me. Plenty on here use the Spiral Dots which I’ve yet to try, I’m a M in right and L in left so it’s a v pricey prospect purchasing/trying out these in the Uk. Will see.

VERY interesting indeed regarding your take on the 909’s vs P9’s. That is a surprise to me... My understanding was that they were slightly lighter in the Bass/treble weight with a tad more mids than the 900mkII’s that have an enormous amount of love on here. One chap has 6 pairs I think which is a testament. You may have saved me a chunk of doh/time here so CHEERS for that. ZMF’s Verite/Auters are getting loads of love, beauties to look at also (909’s too) but the Verite (Closed) are on top of many lists, so I’m intrigued. Never ending this.

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #11,503 of 12,035
VERY interesting indeed regarding your take on the 909’s vs P9’s. That is a surprise to me... My understanding was that they were slightly lighter in the Bass/treble weight with a tad more mids than the 900mkII’s that have an enormous amount of love on here. One chap has 6 pairs I think which is a testament. You may have saved me a chunk of doh/time here so CHEERS for that. ZMF’s Verite/Auters are getting loads of love, beauties to look at also (909’s too) but the Verite (Closed) are on top of many lists, so I’m intrigued. Never ending this.
Yup the TH909 were intruiging, I took them to a meet where we had tons of headphones on hand, they were quite new, only 10hrs burn in, but nobody there liked them. They did get a lot better with burn in though. I think there was just something odd about them, couldn't put my finger on it, they were fatiguing. We only tried them on two sourced though, and Zeos says they work with very few sources, so who knows!
If you like the Verite closed also try the Stellia. My god, they good :)

Thnx for the tip advice for solaris. Im probably going to try a lot out, but also in UK, so it can be a bit pricey.

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #11,504 of 12,035
Yup the TH909 were intruiging, I took them to a meet where we had tons of headphones on hand, they were quite new, only 10hrs burn in, but nobody there liked them. They did get a lot better with burn in though. I think there was just something odd about them, couldn't put my finger on it, they were fatiguing. We only tried them on two sourced though, and Zeos says they work with very few sources, so who knows!
If you like the Verite closed also try the Stellia. My god, they good :)

Thnx for the tip advice for solaris. Im probably going to try a lot out, but also in UK, so it can be a bit pricey.
No worries fella, your v welcome. You can get the Azla Sedna X’s on Amazon for about 16 Squids (two pairs) if you fancy giving them a go. Over time they Ultimately form the shape of your ear canals and I then turn them inside out into near boiling water for a couple then into cold, shake/dry flipem back and Bobs your Auntie. As mentioned the JVC Spiral Dots & the ++ end up double that price even without the Taxman’s Tax this end from Japan. Keep my eye out on Ali’s however.

So... I read 3-4 excellent reviews on the 909’s achieving two Awards, going a tad further which have to be stood by... this was my surprise to your critique/opinion. They were pretty well dismissed on the 900’s thread on H-fi by peeps who had typically not heard them. Those who did thought they bested the MkII’s with (as I mentioned) the ironed out bass/treble issues for some. I did hear they were source dependant but reasonably easy to drive 25ohm if remembered correctly.

Way off topic, I apologise. Tricky to demo gear, I rely heavy on opinions on here which I am eternally grateful for that... as we all know, Reviews can very often be biased and tainted by incentives etc which do only help the manufacturer, + reviewers free set!

Any road, loving music through the Solaris... this is the point.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #11,505 of 12,035
So I asked a guy in the sp1k forum and he told me the sp1000 with Solaris 2020 was very noisy. Are you sure the sp1000m won't make any hissing?
Well I am using Solaris Classic, so it worse then 2020..
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-audio-solaris-impressions-thread.896460/post-15348297

Even if Hiss detected, it will be waterfall...
Best will demo it urself, but I know, in this kind of time it will be difficult... well don't choose if you still hesitate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back