Campfire - Solaris
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #11,191 of 12,035
1522CE2F-F7EB-41B6-9141-C4E22087EF2B.jpeg
4CEE6CD4-14C8-4CD7-ABAA-534855742DA7.jpeg
793FE6CC-2E58-4B42-9BEB-43DEC929B8D8.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #11,192 of 12,035
I take it this new variant has the same form factor as the 2020? It seems like they're trying to address some of he criticisms people had of that iteration.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #11,196 of 12,035
This is the new dynamic unit
This means moving coil CA wants to change
The two dynamics are similar
2020 is not

That...is an interesting observation. I knew the Honeydew driver was different but I just assumed they were using a cheaper driver for an entry-level IEM. The fact that it's in this new Solaris makes me wonder if the Honeydew actually has a new & improved iteration of their DD or if the new Solaris has a cheaper DD than earlier Solari.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #11,197 of 12,035
That...is an interesting observation. I knew the Honeydew driver was different but I just assumed they were using a cheaper driver for an entry-level IEM. The fact that it's in this new Solaris makes me wonder if the Honeydew actually has a new & improved iteration of their DD or if the new Solaris has a cheaper DD than earlier Solari.
Unfortunately I think the previous version may have failed

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #11,198 of 12,035
Unfortunately I think the previous version may have failed

I don't think so-- the DD from the 2020 is the same DD in my Dorado and it's a dream. Ken Ball said in that Darko podcast interview from November that they had been trying in vain to improve their 10mm DD and felt they were in a good place with it.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #11,199 of 12,035
I'm not sure you can really tell driver type from these marketing material drawings here. Though if the front element of the driver housing is different and has fewer holes I would imagine that it potentially could point towards different tuning for the DD in the new Solaris vs at least the 2020.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #11,200 of 12,035
I'm not sure you can really tell driver type from these marketing material drawings here. Though if the front element of the driver housing is different and has fewer holes I would imagine that it potentially could point towards different tuning for the DD in the new Solaris vs at least the 2020.

It's not the diagram that has me wondering it's the marketing material. For the Solaris (all versions prior to this one), Dorado 2020, Vega 2020 and Atlas the literature says "10mm A.D.L.C. Diaphragm Dynamic Driver"...for the Honeydew and now this new variant it says "specially tuned DD"...it has my curiosity-o-metre a wee bit triggered. Especially since it's already been made clear in Honeydew impressions that the DD driver there lacks the finesse, tactility and cleanliness of their ADLC DD.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #11,201 of 12,035
It's not the diagram that has me wondering it's the marketing material. For the Solaris (all versions prior to this one), Dorado 2020, Vega 2020, Atlas the literature says "10mm A.D.L.C. Diaphragm Dynamic Driver"...for the Honeydew and now this new variant it says "specially tuned DD"...it has my curiosity-o-metre a wee bit triggered. Especially since it's already been made clear in Honeydew impressions that the DD driver there lacks the finesse, tactility and cleanliness of their ADLC DD.
Check out the tech specs on of the driver on campfires page for the Solaris 2020 https://campfireaudio.com/shop/solaris-2020/

Same messaging. Not sure if that's always how they described it or not. Though it does also separately list it as adlc.

I think they are likely just updating marketing speak.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #11,202 of 12,035
Check out the tech specs on of the driver on campfires page for the Solaris 2020 https://campfireaudio.com/shop/solaris-2020/

Same messaging. Not sure if that's always how they described it or not. Though it does also separately list it as adlc.

I think they are likely just updating marketing speak.

I dunno... their more entry level models like the Polaris 2 have always had less snazzy sounding DD drivers. This is just what I assumed when I read the description of the Honeydew. The fact that they don't list the new Solaris driver as being ADLC...especially since only a few months ago they stated they were so happy with the driver that they struggled finding ways to improve it...and the fact that it is described in the same terms as the driver in the Honeydew... has me wondering a bit. Until further clarification is provided tis will probably keep me from plunging on this one until some reliable impressions have come in.

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #11,203 of 12,035
The AK Solaris has 1 less high BA driver. Did they remove it to keep the cost down or to make the highs more complementary to the AK sound?

The Solaris OG, SE and 2020 sounds amazing with the extra driver on the WM1A/Z running Midnight and a DHC Clone Silver balanced cable.

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #11,204 of 12,035
I dunno... their more entry level models like the Polaris 2 have always had less snazzy sounding DD drivers. This is just what I assumed when I read the description of the Honeydew. The fact that they don't list the new Solaris driver as being ADLC...especially since only a few months ago they stated they were so happy with the driver that they struggled finding ways to improve it...and the fact that it is described in the same terms as the driver in the Honeydew... has me wondering a bit. Until further clarification is provided tis will probably keep me from plunging on this one until some reliable impressions have come in.
I would just be surprised if they basically said it's a Solaris 2020 with a new treble driver, and then made no mention that the DD had been swapped.

And I don't see the exact same terms for both either.

Solaris 2020: Specially Tuned 10mm Dynamic Driver (Mid + Low), which is the same language used on the ak Solaris x page. Only difference is on the campfire page for the 2020 there is a separate line in the specs specifically about the driver material.

Honeydew: Single Custom Full Range 10mm Dynamic Driver

So my guess is likely that ak just didn't specifically include the extra bit in their marketing about the adlc stuff.

Regardless though, always a smart move to wait. And getting more clarification would be good.

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #11,205 of 12,035
I would just be surprised if they basically said it's a Solaris 2020 with a new treble driver, and then made no mention that the DD had been swapped.

And I don't see the exact same terms for both either.

Solaris 2020: Specially Tuned 10mm Dynamic Driver (Mid + Low), which is the same language used on the ak Solaris x page. Only difference is on the campfire page for the 2020 there is a separate line in the specs specifically about the driver material.

Honeydew: Single Custom Full Range 10mm Dynamic Driver

So my guess is likely that ak just didn't specifically include the extra bit in their marketing about the adlc stuff.

Regardless though, always a smart move to wait. And getting more clarification would be good.

It never occurred to me that the marketing may have been mainly AK...but still...more clarification needed. Best case scenario is that they've done what they've usually do and addressed some of the problems with earlier iterations with this one. I'll be on standby waiting for impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back