Campfire - Solaris
Aug 20, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #9,842 of 12,035
A DAC that sounds like my 1st gen (OG) Solaris is the 1st gen Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit, or Gumby, from the Multi-Bit DAC upgrade. I have heard other Schiit products with the multi-bit upgrade sounding similar with its generally forward sound, though their Delta-Sigma DACs may also sound similar.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #9,843 of 12,035
Samsung S20+ - LotooPaw S1- PW Audio No.5 4.4 Balanced - OG Solaris - Large Symbio Tips with Comply Foam Inside. Simply Divine.

Still enjoying my OG nearly 2 years later. Although there are some new toys on the block that interest me, I don't think there will be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the purchase. I'm going to wait at least a year more before a purchase above $2000 to see if advances in technology give me something significantly better.

Attachments

• 20200820_112021.jpg
    20200820_112021.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 20, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #9,844 of 12,035
Samsung S20+ - LotooPaw S1- PW Audio No.5 4.4 Balanced - OG Solaris - Large Symbio Tips with Comply Foam Inside. Simply Divine.

Still enjoying my OG nearly 2 years later. Although there are some new toys on the block that interest me, I don't think there will be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the purchase. I'm going to wait at least a year more before a purchase above $2000 to see if advances in technology give me something significantly better.

I don't think there is a categorical upgrade to either the Solaris or the Andromeda under 3K US for those of us who are totally satisfied with those IEMs.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #9,845 of 12,035
I don't think there is a categorical upgrade to either the Solaris or the Andromeda under 3K US for those of us who are totally satisfied with those IEMs.
I was speaking with Ken Ball at CanJam a couple of years ago and he said that he was confident that his IEMs could match IEMs costing twice as much.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #9,846 of 12,035
I was speaking with Ken Ball at CanJam a couple of years ago and he said that he was confident that his IEMs could match IEMs costing twice as much.

He's not wrong imho. While there are many great IEMs in the ~1K-3K price bracket they each have their own distinct flavor and specialty-- there really is something for everyone's tastes and preferences. But for those of us who love the sound, vibe and overall philosophy of Campfire Audio they are unbeatable in that tier.

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #9,847 of 12,035
For those of you using the Solaris 2020 with the Sony WM1A, do you use low or high gain? I can't really decide.
I found that low gain is more balanced across the frequency range, but also seems thinner. High gain seems to have weight/body, especially in the mid-bass upper-bass, but less clarity in the mids. (I'm using the single-ended output. Still saving up for a balanced cable.)

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #9,848 of 12,035
For those of you using the Solaris 2020 with the Sony WM1A, do you use low or high gain? I can't really decide.
I found that low gain is more balanced across the frequency range, but also seems thinner. High gain seems to have weight/body, especially in the mid-bass upper-bass, but less clarity in the mids. (I'm using the single-ended output. Still saving up for a balanced cable.)
Low gain balanced.

Also using Region J and MrWalkman's Chameleon Firmware to switch device to 1Z.

Aug 20, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #9,849 of 12,035
Low gain balanced.

Also using Region J and MrWalkman's Chameleon Firmware to switch device to 1Z.

Thanks! I'm also using MrWalkman's Chameleon firmware set to model WM1Z. So good!

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #9,853 of 12,035
52843C55-A9A4-473A-B913-D7C1F4203A1B.jpeg

WM1Z has arrived and has really refined the sense of space with the Solaris 2020. I had always found CA iems quite forward in the vocals including with the WM1A. They were really nice sounding but still forward particularly compared to something like the U12t. The WM1Z adds more depth to the sound and vocals still have some of that forwardness but have a very pleasing thickening that gives less of the in the face quality. That sense of the ears being right in the mic is much less so as I can hear more of the distance between the mic and the singer.. if that makes sense. There is a thickening of the bass as well but I don’t feel that it’s bloated or undefined at all.
Really enjoying this set up right now.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #9,855 of 12,035

WM1Z has arrived and has really refined the sense of space with the Solaris 2020. I had always found CA iems quite forward in the vocals including with the WM1A. They were really nice sounding but still forward particularly compared to something like the U12t. The WM1Z adds more depth to the sound and vocals still have some of that forwardness but have a very pleasing thickening that gives less of the in the face quality. That sense of the ears being right in the mid is much less so as I can hear more of the distance between the mic and the singer.. if that makes sense. There is a thickening of the bass as well but I don’t feel that it’s bloated or undefined at all.
Really enjoying this set up right now.

Love the Solaris+1Z combo, was my go to for the longest time. Though mine was the OG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back