Campfire - Solaris
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #9,633 of 12,035
I prefer the S1 with the Solaris more than the Sony WM1Z. As @Rockwell75 said, the completely black background on the S1 is a significant upgrade. Also keen to hear your thoughts on the LP6K when it arrives :)

I should have it by Thursday and I'm so excited...I've kind of missed that "new gear is coming in the mail" feeling and everything I've been reading about the 6K is leaving me thinking it may be the final piece in the puzzle of my ideal portable audio chain.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #9,634 of 12,035
I prefer the S1 with the Solaris more than the Sony WM1Z. As @Rockwell75 said, the completely black background on the S1 is a significant upgrade. Also keen to hear your thoughts on the LP6K when it arrives :)

That’s saying a lot! Are you using the S1 with the WM1Z? I have a WM1A and would like to try the S1 and wondered if it can be used with the WM1A or would I use an extra android phone I have.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #9,635 of 12,035
I have a WM1A and would like to try the S1 and wondered if it can be used with the WM1A

That depends-- does the WM1A use USB C or Sony's proprietary connection...if the former then yes, but if not no as the S1 comes with a USB C -> USB C cable and the only other option available is for iPhone. At the very least you'll be able to try mine (and my LP6K) sometime next month.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #9,636 of 12,035
That’s saying a lot! Are you using the S1 with the WM1Z? I have a WM1A and would like to try the S1 and wondered if it can be used with the WM1A or would I use an extra android phone I have.

I’m just using the S1 with an iPhone or my PC. You’d need the WM-port to USB-A adaptor to get it working with the WM1A.

The WM1Z still sounds great with the Solaris though, it’s got a bit more warmth and note weight compared to the S1, but I think I prefer the S1’s completely black background :)

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #9,637 of 12,035
That depends-- does the WM1A use USB C or Sony's proprietary connection...if the former then yes, but if not no as the S1 comes with a USB C -> USB C cable and the only other option available is for iPhone. At the very least you'll be able to try mine (and my LP6K) sometime next month.

Its Sony’s proprietary connector but I figure I could get an adapter with a regular USB female to usb c to the S1. iPhone is convenient since I use one but then I can’t take advantage of the S1’s ability for hi res files. I guess just the old LGV30 would do fine as a transport..,

I’m just using the S1 with an iPhone or my PC. You’d need the WM-port to USB-A adaptor to get it working with the WM1A.

The WM1Z still sounds great with the Solaris though, it’s got a bit more warmth and note weight compared to the S1, but I think I prefer the S1’s completely black background :)

posted as you were posting... how is it with the iPhone?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #9,638 of 12,035
Its Sony’s proprietary connector but I figure I could get an adapter with a regular USB female to usb c to the S1. iPhone is convenient since I use one but then I can’t take advantage of the S1’s ability for hi res files. I guess just the old LGV30 would do fine as a transport..,

You're in a similar boat as me with my n6ii. You should sell the WM1A and consider joining me on the LP6K wagon.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #9,639 of 12,035
Just tried the S1 with WM1Z and I couldn’t get it to output any sound. The WM1Z is transporting to the S1 and the s1 is recognising the signal (says it’s playing 44.1/16bit) but there’s no audio. Then when I try to change song on the WM1Z, the walkman freezes and I have to unplug the adaptor to get it to unfreeze, and then it shows an error message “cannot play audio”

3733B322-6B0B-4067-B2E7-39F6B4DE87A0.jpeg

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #9,640 of 12,035

posted as you were posting... how is it with the iPhone?
It’s great with the iPhone! No complaints. There’s been some reports of people hearing interference when using their s1 on an iPhone but I haven’t experienced that. Using an iPhone X.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #9,641 of 12,035
Just ordered the 2020 Solaris. My first ToTL IEM. I'll try to give impressions after I've had them awhile and have come to grasp their sound.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #9,642 of 12,035
You're in a similar boat as me with my n6ii. You should sell the WM1A and consider joining me on the LP6K wagon.

I'll wait to hear yours first as it was a struggle to get my WM1A back after selling it the first time... but if there's no hiss at all.. well that's very compelling. I'm so tempted to buy the S1 just to tease myself.. There's just no escaping the upgrade bug.. I really thought I had hit a nice safe place for a while with the Solaris 2020/WM1A pairing but no.. this whole conversation had to come along.. ha ha.

Just tried the S1 with WM1Z and I couldn’t get it to output any sound. The WM1Z is transporting to the S1 and the s1 is recognising the signal (says it’s playing 44.1/16bit) but there’s no audio. Then when I try to change song on the WM1Z, the walkman freezes and I have to unplug the adaptor to get it to unfreeze, and then it shows an error message “cannot play audio”

3733B322-6B0B-4067-B2E7-39F6B4DE87A0.jpeg

Thanks for that... the S1 is still on the table but it's good to know that the Sony won't work.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #9,643 of 12,035
It’s great with the iPhone! No complaints. There’s been some reports of people hearing interference when using their s1 on an iPhone but I haven’t experienced that. Using an iPhone X.

Do you just use itunes or did you download a hi-res capable app? I have an iphone 8 but I also have an old LGv30 that's going unused so that could be a transport.. Sorry for so many questions on a not exactly related topic...

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #9,645 of 12,035
Just ordered the 2020 Solaris. My first ToTL IEM. I'll try to give impressions after I've had them awhile and have come to grasp their sound.

Congrats man I think you've made a great choice and I look forward to hearing your thoughts when it arrives!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back