Campfire - Solaris
Jul 14, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #9,451 of 12,035
Question: how many of the folks who were on the hype train in late 2018 still own the Solaris and are using them regularly?

I just bought a pair on here from another Head-fier so I'm stoked -- they'll be here today. Since making the leap, I've been reading this thread from the beginning in anticipation, and the question came to mind.

I appreciate any responses! :)

1594742079200.png
Penon GS849 cable on the Solaris. I still use mine regularly. Never bought into the SE or the 2020 version. No need to for me. I get a variety of sound tweaks with cables instead. I can make my Solaris more detailed, more neutral sounding, more bass heavy, more mids focused or a combination there of. My Solaris has been my test bed for all sorts of cables from my collection.

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #9,452 of 12,035
Oh, for those in the US that is unsure about what size they need: I was wrong on a previous post in this thread... Azla SednaEarfit Xelastic silicon ear tip multi-size packs are available in the US with non-prime free shipping here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08BR677ND/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

Thanks for the link, will place an order tonight. :beerchug:

Question: how many of the folks who were on the hype train in late 2018 still own the Solaris and are using them regularly?

I just bought a pair on here from another Head-fier so I'm stoked -- they'll be here today. Since making the leap, I've been reading this thread from the beginning in anticipation, and the question came to mind.

I appreciate any responses! :)

I bought the Solaris OG in Feb 2019 and they are in my rotation when at home, the soundstage and holographic sound is still amazing. At home I'm listening to full-size cans more now (especially since I'm on my second COVID quarantine since March) and will switch to IEMs when I'm doing chores. Although my other IEMs are all customs and I prefer CIEMs now. Only if the Solaris was available in a custom.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #9,453 of 12,035
I caught the tail end of said hype train and jumped on on early 2019. I had an OG Solaris for a few months before selling it to "play the field" for a bit before coming back when the SE was released. Solaris is the best "all rounder" IEM I've ever heard (and I've heard some great IEMs) and one of the easiest recs on the market today. It has more than lived up to the initial hype imho.
Awesome, so glad to hear!

I'm sure I'll get to it eventually, as I'm trudging through 630 pages, but are you or anyone else able to comment on the changes between the OG Solaris and the 2020 model?

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #9,455 of 12,035
Just because there is a shiny new version don't mean the first version is all of a sudden obsolete. Lol. Far from it. In fact I can argue that getting a second hand Solaris will be the best deal out of all of them. If I recall there were a few that actually liked the OG solaris better than some of the newer variants.

The original was so good from the get go a few tweaks is not gonna have me shell out $1500 for minor tweaks. Give me something new maybe but again i can do that on my own with cables which cost a whole heck of a lot less.

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #9,457 of 12,035
The Solaris og is my most used iem these days. I love it’s sound

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #9,459 of 12,035
Can anyone here compare the Solaris SE to the Atlas?
No comparison, the Atlas is bass heavy and doesn't have the details or soundstage that the SE has.

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #9,460 of 12,035
Still using OG till now, Daily 2 hours since Dec 2018 till now for comutering. Hybrid user.

a bit wear off, but still running great...
20200526_064927.jpg

Alrd tried SE & 2020, still SOLARIS genetics and sound engine...

song of the week.
20200715_050242.jpg
Love the fast pace tight mid bass...
why prefer hybrid in first place... IMO

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #9,461 of 12,035
Can anyone here compare the Solaris SE to the Atlas?

I loved the Atlas when I owned it but there was no turning back once I heard Solaris. A much more immersive and satisfying experience...though the Atlas is still great at what it sets out to do.

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #9,462 of 12,035
Oh, I completely agree. I'm simply curious what the changes/differences are objectively. I got a great deal on second hand OG Solaris and plan on keeping them regardless!

FWIW I sold an OG since I snagged a 2020. I compared them before selling the OG, there are differences but they sound very very similar. The reason I made the switch is fit, which is a monstrous difference for me at least. I found andros too small for my ears while the OG Solaris would only stay in place if I sat still. The 2020 can be used to commute, and to get this kind of sound in a commuting IEM is substantial value for me. The 2020 just fit a lot better.

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #9,463 of 12,035
I preordered the OG Solaris, so has them since launch. Got the 2020s when they came out mostly because I’d been curious about the SEs and since the OGs were still one of my regular drivers (was switching between them and itsfit fusions as the mood suited), I figured I’d take the plunge tempted by the size and potential for marginal sound improvements. If not for the 2020s would still have the OGs and be very happy with them. I never had fit issues with the OGs but do like how the 2020s nestle in the ears a little more (I can fall asleep on my side while wearing them, which wasn’t possible with the OGs for me). There are some updates to the sound that I think improve it, but if anyone tells you it’s a huge difference they are lying to you—any Solaris is a truly top tier iem that can keep up with just about anything out there.

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #9,464 of 12,035
Thanks for the link, will place an order tonight. :beerchug:

I bought the Solaris OG in Feb 2019 and they are in my rotation when at home, the soundstage and holographic sound is still amazing. At home I'm listening to full-size cans more now (especially since I'm on my second COVID quarantine since March) and will switch to IEMs when I'm doing chores. Although my other IEMs are all customs and I prefer CIEMs now. Only if the Solaris was available in a custom.
Thought of custom tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back