Campfire - Solaris
May 19, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #8,582 of 12,035
I agree - the Solaris has the potential to bring rumble to the table, but only if you use an EQ or an external amplifier. Don't get me wrong, I love the Solaris for what it is, but I'd just like a pinch more mid-bass slam, without having to resort to FR adjustments or 3rd-party solutions. :)
Have you found an affordable cable that allows more bass slam/rumble through? I just got my first IEM, the Solaris SE, and have added eq through my RME ADI-2, but a cable would be better for when I travel or don't want to carry my RME ADI-2 that has the EQ.

I'm surprised how good this little IEM sound through my iPhone and iPad Pro, without EQ, but a different cable could make it better. Any suggestions?

May 19, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #8,583 of 12,035
Have you found an affordable cable that allows more bass slam/rumble through? I just got my first IEM, the Solaris SE, and have added eq through my RME ADI-2, but a cable would be better for when I travel or don't want to carry my RME ADI-2 that has the EQ.

I'm surprised how good this little IEM sound through my iPhone and iPad Pro, without EQ, but a different cable could make it better. Any suggestions?
I paired the Solaris with a Thor Silver II+ cable. Even though this is an all-silver design, the lows were a little more pronounced, in comparison with the Super Litz. Unfortunately, this is not exactly a cheap cable.

With that said, I think the Solaris, in its stock form, is one of the best IEMs on the market. The slight lack of bass is not a major sticking point, as the rest of the earphone excels in so many categories. I get so lost in the music, I don't realize that all I really wanted, was actually a little more bass. They are just sublime.

May 19, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #8,584 of 12,035
I paired the Solaris with a Thor Silver II+ cable. Even though this is an all-silver design, the lows were a little more pronounced, in comparison with the Super Litz. Unfortunately, this is not exactly a cheap cable.

With that said, I think the Solaris, in its stock form, is one of the best IEMs on the market. The slight lack of bass is not a major sticking point, as the rest of the earphone excels in so many categories. I get so lost in the music, I don't realize that all I really wanted, was actually a little more bass. They are just sublime.

Are you going for the 2020?

May 19, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #8,586 of 12,035
Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #8,587 of 12,035
May 19, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #8,589 of 12,035

I enjoy bass, and was a little concerned about getting the Solaris as the general impression of them normally seems to be that they are a little bass light.

Haven't really found the 2020 to be lacking there. I can't really directly compare, but some of the other impressions seem to say that bass is potentially elevated slightly from previous versions. No complaints from me.

May 19, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #8,590 of 12,035
I enjoy bass, and was a little concerned about getting the Solaris as the general impression of them normally seems to be that they are a little bass light.

Haven't really found the 2020 to be lacking there. I can't really directly compare, but some of the other impressions seem to say that bass is potentially elevated slightly from previous versions. No complaints from me.
I've seen those impressions, too, and am a bit surprised when I read folks say that the Solaris is light on bass...of all the IEMs I've listened to, I think only the LX and Fourte Noir have more bass *quantity* than the Solaris (both the 2020 and the SE).
I think the bass on the Solaris is very controlled (i.e., very high *quality*), but not at all light....glad you're enjoying it.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #8,591 of 12,035
I'm a bit surprised when I read folks say that the Solaris is light on bass...of all the IEMs I've listened to, I think only the LX and Fourte Noir have more bass *quantity* than the Solaris (both the 2020 and the SE).
I think the bass on the Solaris is very controlled (i.e., very high *quality*), but not at all light....glad you're enjoying it.
These are the folks that EQ their beats by dre to +12db from 20-100hz.

May 19, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #8,592 of 12,035
I'm a bit surprised when I read folks say that the Solaris is light on bass...of all the IEMs I've listened to, I think only the LX and Fourte Noir have more bass *quantity* than the Solaris (both the 2020 and the SE).
Well I know originally part of it was that it was using the driver from the atlas (or at least a very similar one) so I think there was some expectation there. Then obviously comparing it to others can make them feel a bit bass light too. Coming previously from an atlas, z1r and trio, they aren't as bassy, but still enough.

I can also compare them to my andro gold, which is supposed to have some bass boost, and I find the Solaris bassier. But I do wonder if it's also maybe the difference between DD and ba bass.

But yes, I am enjoying them quite a bit and find myself quite satisfied, even with the bass. Still haven't quite figured out the fit yet though. It's not bad, just haven't gotten it dialed in yet for longer listening sessions.

May 19, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #8,593 of 12,035
Well I know originally part of it was that it was using the driver from the atlas (or at least a very similar one) so I think there was some expectation there. Then obviously comparing it to others can make them feel a bit bass light too. Coming previously from an atlas, z1r and trio, they aren't as bassy, but still enough.

I can also compare them to my andro gold, which is supposed to have some bass boost, and I find the Solaris bassier. But I do wonder if it's also maybe the difference between DD and ba bass.

But yes, I am enjoying them quite a bit and find myself quite satisfied, even with the bass. Still haven't quite figured out the fit yet though. It's not bad, just haven't gotten it dialed in yet for longer listening sessions.
Makes sense.
I would agree with you regarding the Solaris vs. the Andro Gold. I'm sure part of it is DD vs BA, but regardless, I find the Solaris much bassier (both quant and qual) versus the Gold.
Are you having trouble with the fit on the 2020? If so, be glad you didn't get the SE or OG! I find the fit on the 2020 much better than either of its predecessors.

May 19, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #8,594 of 12,035
Makes sense.
I would agree with you regarding the Solaris vs. the Andro Gold. I'm sure part of it is DD vs BA, but regardless, I find the Solaris much bassier (both quant and qual) versus the Gold.
Are you having trouble with the fit on the 2020? If so, be glad you didn't get the SE or OG! I find the fit on the 2020 much better than either of its predecessors.
Minor fit issues. And I tried the SE a while back and I could tell immediately that the fit was gonna be trouble.

The biggest issue I think for me is the angle of the mmcx plug vs the stem and that it gets wider down by the stem instead of narrower like a lot of others. So if I have the cable pointed up towards the edge of my ear I need really large tips for a super shallow fit or I get some pressure points, but the Solaris sits better in my ear with the cable pointing more straight forward, but it leaves a large gap before it curves back over my ear, and even then without the perfect tips, still get a few pressure points after a while. And I haven't quite figured out which is best and which tips are best for me.

May 19, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #8,595 of 12,035
It was the same thing with the Atlas when I had it. All the manufacturers of DD IEMs insist that it won't damage the drivers...so I'm happy to take their word for it.

I know manufacturers say that, but my experience with Xelento was different. What started out as driver flex only when inserting them became worse over a few months until any slight change in ear pressure (like moving my jaw or even just walking) caused the same driver flex clicking sound.

Based on this, I've become cautious of any IEMs with reports of driver flex. Luckily, out of the 26 IEMs I own, only the Xelento had driver flex issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back