Campfire - Solaris
May 18, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #8,551 of 12,035
I have ifi earbuddy, haven't tried the IEmatch 2.5 ...
Yes, it helped reduce Hiss especially using smartphone or ipad (youtube, netflix etc)...
but for serious audio time, I prefer using direct DAP and nice 24 bit flac... IMO

Same, I feel the IEMatch is a bandaid and not a solution. I only own the 3.5 since I don't want a 4.4 dongle for my 2.5 IEMatch dongle, to go back into another dongle to use my 4.4 player. The 3.5 works well for planes and various other times you don't have much of a option.

May 19, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #8,552 of 12,035
Hi Guys,

Does anyone with the new 2020 Solaris also have experience with the Shure 846 as a comparison?
Would appreciate any observations.
I have been using a pair of those since they came out, had not heard about Campfire Audio until last week.
Besides the Shure 846, I have owned mainly Westones.
Will probably pull the trigger if they are a noticeable improvement.

I own SE846 and Solaris SE. Solaris are in a complete different league. SE846 are dark, wich is good if you like this sound signature, but can't match Solaris soundstage, their holographic presentation and detail. But, if you like a dark sound in your gear, you will be disappointed. I find Solaris to be quite even.

You have to think about the source also, with my Hugo 2 I have to use iematch 3,5 to low down the noise floor when I listen to quiet music. I don't have to do it with normal music and the change in sound when I have to it's not drastic. With my lg v30 the combo leans to the bright side of the moon and it's not my cup of tea.

To me has supposed a eye opening upgrade. In fact I'm thinking about selling my Clears because being quite good, Solaris are better in everything, very impressive when a IEM outperforms a full headphone.

About the main topic of the thread this week, the Solaris 2020 version, I think they would be an improvement over OG if they have changed the mid driver to the SE's one, confort appart. Versus the SE, I don't think a smaller chamber is going to sound better to be honest. Seems, based on the first graphs and impressions around, it has more highs, the direction I don't want my Solaris to go. I'm still within the return window, but I'll probably stay with them.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #8,553 of 12,035
Hey guys, any comparison between Solaris 2020 and U12T? I love my U12T but I would like to try something new and I always wanted to try Solaris as I had a couple of CA iems in the past and liked them. Thanks

May 19, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #8,554 of 12,035
Hey guys, any comparison between Solaris 2020 and U12T? I love my U12T but I would like to try something new and I always wanted to try Solaris as I had a couple of CA iems in the past and liked them. Thanks

Solaris 2020 have the same strengths and weakness vs. u12t as OG Solaris does. They're both great but they're fundamentally different sound sigs.

May 19, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #8,555 of 12,035
Solaris 2020 have the same strengths and weakness vs. u12t as OG Solaris does. They're both great but they're fundamentally different sound sigs.

Thanks!How would you describe the differences between the two signatures to your ears? I find the U12T very coherent and a really great all around IEM (the best I’ve tried in handling all genres) but sometimes I find myself wanting a bit more excitement and holographic soundstage:) And I want to have only one flagship so if Solaris come U12T will go.Also, how is driver flex with solaris 2020?

May 19, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #8,556 of 12,035
Thanks!How would you describe the differences between the two signatures to your ears? I find the U12T very coherent and a really great all around IEM (the best I’ve tried in handling all genres) but sometimes I find myself wanting a bit more excitement and holographic soundstage:) And I want to have only one flagship so if Solaris come U12T will go.Also, how is driver flex with solaris 2020?

I've never heard anyone complain about driver flex with any Solaris. The biggest difference between the two is that the u12t is more analytic, whereas the Solaris sacrifices a touch of the raw detail and resolution for a more engaging (imho) and musical signature. u12t has more a touch more bass impact and quicker bass, but Solaris has more extension and enunciation down deep and much better bass texture. It depends on your priorities. When I had the u12t on hand I enjoyed it but would inevitably find myself craving more excitement...which the Solaris delivers. YMMV etc.

May 19, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #8,558 of 12,035
I've never heard anyone complain about driver flex with any Solaris. The biggest difference between the two is that the u12t is more analytic, whereas the Solaris sacrifices a touch of the raw detail and resolution for a more engaging (imho) and musical signature. u12t has more a touch more bass impact and quicker bass, but Solaris has more extension and enunciation down deep and much better bass texture. It depends on your priorities. When I had the u12t on hand I enjoyed it but would inevitably find myself craving more excitement...which the Solaris delivers. YMMV etc.

Thanks, pretty useful comparison. I’ll think about if to sell the U12T to finance the Solaris 2020. Tbh it will not be easy to let the U12T go :)

May 19, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #8,559 of 12,035
I have driver flex in my left unit with silicone tips if I don't pull my ear with the right hand while inserting. Not kidding lol.
No problem with foam tips or doing it as described.

May 19, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #8,561 of 12,035
Yes, I used to have a lot of driver flex with Legend X as well.Every single time I was inserting them :wink: Dual dynamic drivers inside so I was not surprised.

May 19, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #8,563 of 12,035
I know when Solaris first came out, there was a whole bunch of drama with unit variance. Has that been ironed out since the SE (and with that I'm guessing the 2020)?

It's been ironed out since about the time of the original drama.

May 19, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #8,564 of 12,035
i got no driver flex with solaris , not with the 2020 also not with the OG , but with Legend X everytime.

Yeah I get driver flex every time I insert...it doesn't affect my enjoyment of them though.

May 19, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #8,565 of 12,035
I know when Solaris first came out, there was a whole bunch of drama with unit variance. Has that been ironed out since the SE (and with that I'm guessing the 2020)?

Theres been no acknowledgement from CA that there even was an issue so we don't know 100%. Unless you have 10+ Solaris's of the same type to test its pretty difficult to ascertain whether it has (or any other IEM for that matter). Those who had conducted comparisons between OG Solaris's after the initial drama found that they were much closer / the same.... but again, this was 2 units albeit vastly different manufacturing # i'm guessing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back