Campfire - Solaris
Jun 30, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #5,658 of 12,035
Jun 30, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #5,660 of 12,035
The ++ spirals are much to expensive here in Germany ... over 50 euro for 2 pairs ..: no .. maybe after sometime the price will settle here ..:

Pick up the Symbios, they are made in Europe, I have small ear canals and the small Symbio are perfect. They have a gel outer sleeve and inner foam care.

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #5,661 of 12,035
Jun 30, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #5,662 of 12,035
Pick up the Symbios, they are made in Europe, I have small ear canals and the small Symbio are perfect. They have a gel outer sleeve and inner foam care.
I have symbios w in M and L .
But the spirals with the foam of the symbios sounds better for me :)

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #5,663 of 12,035
...Unfortunately for me, unless something drastic changes in either the IEM or my impressions, I don't think the Solaris will scratch that itch for my endgame hybrid IEM - while it belongs in that flagship category with other similarly priced (and pricier) IEMs and while I definitely see myself listening to it again (often) when I visit my local headphone stores in the future, to me, it doesn't really scream "this is it" by unequivocally surpassing the IEMs that I'm currently using.

Very well written review. I am curious, which IEMs are you currently using (or other) do you prefer or feel are better overall than the Solaris, and why? If any?

Jul 1, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #5,664 of 12,035
Very well written review. I am curious, which IEMs are you currently using (or other) do you prefer or feel are better overall than the Solaris, and why? If any?

Ha, I wouldn't call it a review - I think it barely classifies as first impressions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The four IEMs that I am currently using are the Jomo Samba, Campfire Andromeda, Hidition Viento-Reference, and Sony MDR-EX1000.
As for better overall... right now, I'm looking to add a TOTL hybrid IEM to the mix. Solaris would be competing against IEMs like the Jomo Trinity, EE Legend X, Sony IER-Z1R, Noble Khan, 64 Tia Trio, and Hyla TE-5T/B (as well as other new/upcoming IEMs like the VE Elysium, EE Wraith, Oriolus Percivali, and whatever new product 64audio is cooking up right now for this month, depending on their prices). I didn't have a chance to compare these side by side, so I couldn't tell you where Solaris would fall in the pecking order.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #5,665 of 12,035
Ha, I wouldn't call it a review - I think it barely classifies as first impressions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The four IEMs that I am currently using are the Jomo Samba, Campfire Andromeda, Hidition Viento-Reference, and Sony MDR-EX1000.
As for better overall... right now, I'm looking to add a TOTL hybrid IEM to the mix. Solaris would be competing against IEMs like the Jomo Trinity, EE Legend X, Sony IER-Z1R, Noble Khan, 64 Tia Trio, and Hyla TE-5T/B (as well as other new/upcoming IEMs like the VE Elysium, EE Wraith, Oriolus Percivali, and whatever new product 64audio is cooking up right now for this month, depending on their prices). I didn't have a chance to compare these side by side, so I couldn't tell you where Solaris would fall in the pecking order.

Thanks for your reply. Id love to hear your estimation of where they might fall in the pecking order regardless of the lack of side by side listening session ... but anyway that is helpful. I keep reading about the mids, I wonder what iem might retain the nice rumble and clarity of the bass, the distinct but not sibilant treble, but be better in the mids.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #5,666 of 12,035
Thanks for your reply. Id love to hear your estimation of where they might fall in the pecking order regardless of the lack of side by side listening session ... but anyway that is helpful. I keep reading about the mids, I wonder what iem might retain the nice rumble and clarity of the bass, the distinct but not sibilant treble, but be better in the mids.
The more time I spend on HF, the more I think it is a nice place to find out about new gear and talk about it, but not a good place to base a buying decision on.

I can't endorse the Solaris because I didn't choose it myself, but I strongly suggest you don't dismiss it based on other people's opinions. If you have the chance, give it a listen. This applies to everything, not just the Solaris. (well, actually I could name a few headphones I wouldn't encourage people to waste audition time on, but that's a different story... :p )

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #5,667 of 12,035
The more time I spend on HF, the more I think it is a nice place to find out about new gear and talk about it, but not a good place to base a buying decision on.

I can't endorse the Solaris because I didn't choose it myself, but I strongly suggest you don't dismiss it based on other people's opinions. If you have the chance, give it a listen. This applies to everything, not just the Solaris. (well, actually I could name a few headphones I wouldn't encourage people to waste audition time on, but that's a different story... :p )

+1

I'm always saying to take impressions & reviews, both positive and negative, with a huge pile of salt. It's why I insisted on trying out the Solaris for myself.
Nobody can tell you what sounds good to you, and as I noted in my impressions, even though I don't think I'll end up getting one myself, the Solaris most certainly belongs in the conversation with other great IEMs.
(Like @candlejack, I will tell you to avoid something if it's a hot mess though... say, something like the Shozy Pola.)

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #5,668 of 12,035
I have a different opinion on the values of reviews, as it just plain made it possible to purchase blind IEMs I couldn’t audition based on reviewers I trust and I was never disappointed... you can say it’s confirmation bias and maybe it is, who knows. All I know is that it works for me because I know the reviewer’s frame of reference, a review is always relative to the person who writes it. It becomes suspicious if it refers to an absolute truth as far as I am concerned... especially when ranking is involved that doesn’t explicitly discloses the criterias for said ranking (which.... make it relative, again).

I guess it all depends on what you expect from reviews, if you expect some kind of « truth » then it will never work for you.

If you expect an honest, detailed and qualitative expression of a point of view and you get to confirm it with auditions you get reference points along time then it becomes very reliable. I happened to purchase the same IEMs as some reviewers (some of them way before they got renowned there on headfi), when they posted and reviewed, it felt like someone expressed what I was unable to put into words so very accurately. Of course, your mileage may vary and you might tune in with different reviewers I find highly reliable but that’s the beauty of relativity.

Beyond technical fundamentals and performance that are required, most of the magic of an IEM is its tuning and you liking it is very influenced by personal preferences.
That’s why I’ll never adhere to so called objective aka « I own the truth » comparisons.

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #5,669 of 12,035
Yesterday, I got the chance to test the full set of Vision Ears including the VE8 side by side with my Solaris and I'd like to share my impressions. The reason for my endeavor is that the Solaris provides everything I need on a technical/ sonic level, but fit has become an issue. My ears do not accommodate most ear-tips and I struggle getting proper seal. In lieu of a Solaris CIEM I began looking for an alternative. I will share with you my impressions with the VE8, a 2300€ CIEM from Vision Ears.

Take note: I directly compare these to the Solaris, so when I say the VE8 is neutral-dry or bright, I mean that as in comparison to the Solaris. You should be aware that the Solaris is not an ideal point of reference, as it may very well be described as colored.

Lows:
Solaris pushes more air. VE8 has airy lows, as expected from a BA. Texture and detail is better in the VE8 with better layering but lower impact at similar listening volumes. The bass on the VE8 is ever present when needed but does not bleed into the mids which takes body away. It is a medium quick but dry albeit deep bass. It lacks the juicy analogue quality of a DD. The Solaris produces a bigger boom when called upon than the VE8. Because the VE8 pushes less air, listening to it at a comfortable volume is difficult because the bass gets too shy quickly. The Song Thriller by Michael Jackson is a great example. In the intro, when you hear the footsteps and in the end, when the huge wooden door is closed, the Solaris sounds large and threatening and the VE8 sounds matter-of-fact-ish. To get the same effect with the VE8 I have to increase volume and when the music starts it hurts my ears.

Mids:
Because the bass is so controlled on the VE8, the mids are very clear but have less weight compared to the Solaris. Vocals are breathy and ethereal and not in-your-face as opposed to the emotional and juicy but sometimes pushed vocals of the Solaris. The VE8 has mids that I would describe as evanescent, they come and go and do not linger much. This creates a very precise and enjoyable presentation which many audiophiles will fall in love with. The mids are neither recessed nor forward. They are neutral and centered. The texture and body of the mids are neutral-dry as opposed to the oily smooth mids of the Solaris. Guitar strings are crisp and lifelike, as if the instrument was played next to you. That is an amazing quality with incredible detail for the VE8. It is possible to make out each individual string get plucked. The Solaris portrais strings in a more smooth and meaty manner which I enjoy as well.
Bass Guitars lack timbre in the VE8 for my taste. They could do with more warmth.
I would say that the VE8 has significantly less coloration than the Solaris. It has no quirky emphasis.

Highs:
The Solaris extends nicely in the highs but refrains from ever becoming harsh or sibilant. The highs on the Solaris however are clearly not the focus of its presentation. Cimbals and sparkles are clear enough on the Solaris to be really enjoyable and make the overal experience magical.

The highs on the VE8 are really something else. They extend much higher effortlessly and have a lot more detail and energy. The highs on the VE8 are hands down the best I ever heard (for what it's worth). The VE8 manages this without being edgy, oversharpened or even sibilant, something that might be the Andromedas only fault. The detail in plucked instruments, claps and cimbals is breathtaking. Unfortunately, I am treble sensitive and even the best and smoothes treble in the world causes fatigue for me.

Soundstage:
The Solaris produces a soundstage that is admirable and awesome. The Solaris is very immersive and extends well in all directions. This is just a joy to use.
The VE8 might take that a step further, extending higher and wider, causing a more holographic sensation. Information is coming at you from all angles and your being swirled into the music as if your brain was kicked around like a football. I find the extended soundstage of the VE8 to be unnecessary but absolutely not unnatural. With a bit of more listening time, this would prove another strong point for the VE8

Conclusion:
The VE8 has incredible amounts of detail and clarity and can be described as the perfect Andromeda, the perfect BA. I can see why Crinacle has placed this iem so high on his list, when he sees the Andromeda as a gatekeeper for the S rank. It is fun but overall on the neutral-bright side compared to the mid-forward Solaris, although less bright than the Andromeda. I think the VE8 is the archetype of an ideal BA IEM, it does everything BA stands for perfectly. Speed, texture, clarity, separation and resolution. All without much coloration, oversharpening, edgyness, harshness or any negative attributes but enough fun-factor for true audiophile listening.

But I have become so used to the oily smoothness of the Solaris, its analogue feel, that the VE8 is not warm enough for me, even though it does many things better, on a technical level, than the Solaris.
I could see myself going with the VE8 as my only CIEM for the next years and with a bit of getting used to it, my ears would get used to its sound and grow very, very fond of it. But for now, it feels like I would prefer a more darker, warmer analogue sound promised by a hybrid with good DD bass. This will be a tough decision.
My search goes on. Next up: Solaris vs. Legend X.

Alright, alright, alright!

Since I am going to be setting my Solaris up against the Legend X in the next days, I thought it wise to keep my memory fresh regarding the other contender, the VE8. That's why I took another approach at the Vision Ears Flagship (until the Elysium, that is): Another day, another playlist.
Here's my update in regards to the VE8 on its own, without A/B testing against Solaris (my singular IEM).

Technical details

Driver tech: 8 BA Setup, in three ways, 2 lows, 2 mids, 4 highs
Cable: Very standard, nothing fancy, quite pliable, straight 3.5mm termination
Playlist: Selection of Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac contrasted with Progressive Metal and EDM. Mostly female or high-pitched vocals
Equipment: SP1000Cu at Volume level 60 (lower end of my usual listening volume)

The Lows:

The VE8 has quite a substantial and deep bass, with good rumble. I find it lacks vibration and does not reverberate enough to compete with DD offerings, but still. The bass is black and deep and might satisfy those who are accustomed to BA bass. The control of the bass is very good; it's not clinical or sterile but affects the mids only minimally. I do like bass guitars and like to imagine hearing the string vibrating, which I am missing with the VE8. This is unlike the acoustic guitar, which is portrayed superbly on the VE8. You can make out each individual pluck with clarity and intent.
Detail in other spectrums are never overshadowed by the bass and make for a rich detailed experience.

The mids:

I think the VE8 has a neutral-warm tuning that only appears dry and bright when compared to a very coloured IEM like the Solaris. The presentation is quite pleasant with incredible detail and energy. This, I presume, is the reason why the VE8 gets portrayed as "musical". It makes ya foot tap without ya knowin'.

The highs:

Effortless and magical. Nothing left to be desired; not sharp, not mushed, fast and energetic. The highs are so detailed and crisp, but smooth, that high-pitched details like plucks in the strings or particular elements in vocals that were previously hidden in the relatively organic/ lush Solaris are now revealed to me.

Recommendation:

This write-up wants to at least create a little value for those who came here looking for information on the Solaris. So I would like to come back full circle. Choosing between the Solaris and the VE8 is not easy, which is a testament to the technical prowess of the Solaris with a reasonable price tag.
The choice should be between these factors:

• Custom or universal. Each is available only as one option
  • Price. The VE8 is significantly more expensive
  • Tuning. Both are remarkable at what they do. Are you looking for a well balanced visceral bass (not in bass-head terms) with a very relaxed and smooth presentation on the warm side? Go for the Solaris. Do you prefer a well done BA bass and need more energy in the mids and highs with better PRaT? Go with the VE8

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #5,670 of 12,035

"I'm always saying to take impressions & reviews, both positive and negative, with a huge pile of salt. It's why I insisted on trying out the Solaris for myself.
Nobody can tell you what sounds good to you, and as I noted in my impressions, even though I don't think I'll end up getting one myself, the Solaris most certainly belongs in the conversation with other great IEMs.
(Like @candlejack, I will tell you to avoid something if it's a hot mess though... say, something like the Shozy Pola.)"

I agree, and In fact I have listened to them. I thought they sounded very good but Id also like to try out some others to compare, and so I think my question is a fair one. Is there an IEM with a similar sound sig in the treble and bass but improved (and of course thats understood to be subjective, so yes Im curious about personal opinions here) mids? I like a neutral sound, not overwhelming bass or sibilant treble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back