Campfire - Solaris
Oct 31, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #541 of 12,035
I prefer "One" as a better test track than Enter Sandman as the speed and quality of the bass guitar, electric guitar, and drums hit hard and quick. I like to hear if the impact is hard and the decay doesn't bloom while hearing separation between those 3 instruments. Many hybrids don't do well on this track as the decay of thr DD is usually is a little too long. If you can give me impressions with this song after it's burned in that could decide if it will be the new number one Christmas IEM gift to myself. The Sony is the last IEM that hasn't been on sale yet that some are looking forward too and I'm one of them, but I think that I'll wait as I don't trust the Sony to be comfortable to wear for more than an hour and the USA cost can drop a bit with time or there's accessory jack, but I would want to buy through Amazon if possible.I have a feeling that the Solaris vs Z1R debate will be one of the bigger topics next year as there are lots of fanboys on both sides. If there's a price drop for the Trio, then I'd also consider picking one up next year.

Yeah I just happened to be listening at Enter Sandman, but "One" is one of my all time favorites so off to listening to this :p

While I am here, the bells at the beginning of "Hells Bells" have never sounded better! The note lingering and natural decay is just out of this world. But the guitar riff in Shoot to thrill is just as good and treble are such a treat ohhhh my!

I also don't personally see any similarities to the u12, which I owed for a year and the a12 for a year after that. The u12 is much, much warmer with nearly no treble presence in comparison.

Yes as I said, much darker. The holographic soundstage though is a (far away) memory of the U12.
Solaris expands on that and then some :D

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #542 of 12,035
pic of Solaris in your ears please? I guess they stick far out of the ear ....

IMG_0310.jpeg
I have pretty big ears, too.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #544 of 12,035
Yes they do stick out... just like you.

But my main concern right now given I listen a lot in bed... I think they are leaking sound there seems to be a vent right next to where the screw is, when I put my finger on the nozzles to block sound and see if anything leaks it does leak quite a bit :-\

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #546 of 12,035
David congratulation for Solaris:beerchug:
can you share some comparison between CL2 please?:ksc75smile:

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #547 of 12,035
The question is: Are you blown away to the point that you'll sell everything else and keep just Solaris :p

I have 100hrs on Solaris, and the bass finally settled in. Mid-bass slam went up, not as neutral as it was at the beginning, and the bass is tighter and has more control now (better separation from lower mids). Also, treble went though a few changes as well, the way I hear it. It was a little warmer at first so I used silicone tips, then got brighter - I switched to foamies, now went back to silicone to get back more sparkle. Mids are very natural, have fuller body (in lower mids), but not congested, excellent retrieval of details and still very resolving. The signature is quite balanced now, and imho the bass quantity and extension is enough to satisfy those who are not crazy about too much bass (like vega, legend x) and those who crave more bass (if you wish andro or it04 had more). Of course, I'm going by memory since this is not a true a/b comparison of out of the box and after 100hrs, but while soundstage is still very expanded, now with a little more bass it has a bit less holographic perception.

Btw, Super LItz will be available soon as an optional cable with 2.5mm (right angled) termination and 4.4mm (straight gold connector) termination, and I heard it will be very reasonably priced.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #548 of 12,035
Yes they do stick out... just like you.

But my main concern right now given I listen a lot in bed... I think they are leaking sound there seems to be a vent right next to where the screw is, when I put my finger on the nozzles to block sound and see if anything leaks it does leak quite a bit :-\

I'm sure your boyfriend won't mind. :wink: jkjk

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #549 of 12,035
If you've read the impressions above you know : I am blown away! :)

Hmm, I'm not getting that "blown away" vibe... I think you're just happy. But happy is good, happy is not to be underestimated.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #550 of 12,035
I have 100hrs on Solaris, and the bass finally settled in. Mid-bass slam went up, not as neutral as it was at the beginning, and the bass is tighter and has more control now (better separation from lower mids). Also, treble went though a few changes as well, the way I hear it. It was a little warmer at first so I used silicone tips, then got brighter - I switched to foamies, now went back to silicone to get back more sparkle. Mids are very natural, have fuller body (in lower mids), but not congested, excellent retrieval of details and still very resolving. The signature is quite balanced now, and imho the bass quantity and extension is enough to satisfy those who are not crazy about too much bass (like vega, legend x) and those who crave more bass (if you wish andro or it04 had more). Of course, I'm going by memory since this is not a true a/b comparison of out of the box and after 100hrs, but while soundstage is still very expanded, now with a little more bass it has a bit less holographic perception.

Btw, Super LItz will be available soon as an optional cable with 2.5mm (right angled) termination and 4.4mm (straight gold connector) termination, and I heard it will be very reasonably priced.
So basically it changes a lot over burn in and I won't know it's true form until a week later.
If you are able to get your hands on a few different MMCX cables, I would love to read your impressions with them.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #552 of 12,035
Hmm, I'm not getting that "blown away" vibe... I think you're just happy. But happy is good, happy is not to be underestimated.
I think it may be because when you reach TOTL tier it gets harder and harder to blow one away since at this point you are already used to summit-fi performance.
I have a good example. I consider the LCD 4 to be TOTL level. It's just one step below the Sennheiser He-1 and does 95% of what it can do with a very similar sound signature. However when I upgraded from LCD 3 to LCD 4, I was not blown away just because of the fact the LCD 3 is already so good and I am getting incremental benefits.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #553 of 12,035
I think it may be because when you reach TOTL tier it gets harder and harder to blow one away since at this point you are already used to summit-fi performance.
I have a good example. I consider the LCD 4 to be TOTL level. It's just one step below the Sennheiser He-1 and does 95% of what it can do with a very similar sound signature. However when I upgraded from LCD 3 to LCD 4, I was not blown away just because of the fact the LCD 3 is already so good and I am getting incremental benefits.
Perfectly reasonable assessment and kinda what I was hinting at.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #554 of 12,035
I’ve had and owned nearly every TOTL IEM and headphone of note / hype. They’re all just as good technically. Nothing is a forever end game for me. Eventually over time I get used to the sound and get slightly bored of it and want to try something new. Part of the hobby for me I suppose.

That said I’d rate the Solaris is the top 5 headphones I’ve ever owned without question. Need more time with them to really figure them out though, but they’re great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back