Campfire - Solaris
May 9, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #5,086 of 12,035
Yeah, the combination of a relatively fresh Solaris with my Thor II+ cable results in an energetic, albeit slightly strident sound at times. I’m hoping that an extended burn-in session, or prolonged use, might temper the highs on the Solaris. Otherwise, I’m perfectly happy to use my go-to portable amp, the ALO CV5 to add a touch of warmth. :)

Yes, its a great little amp. :wink:

Strident was a good description for the cable plus Solaris

Like they say, great minds think alike, and enjoy good music with similar gear. Or something like that. :wink:

I don't want to derail the Solaris thread, but I'm hoping to see a CV6 in the near future. It's a shame to see the ALO folks directing most of their attention to their IEMs and cables; their amps were also top class IMO.

Want to join the big boys league, but not confidence enough..

BTW, ALO CV5 is quite unique for mid centric Lover. CA Atlas Mid can move forward significantly if pairing with CV5.
But Quite Hiss if pair with Solaris...

CV6... ??? wow...

May 9, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #5,087 of 12,035
I must say Solaris is the most balanced offering from Campfire. Kind of like the CK10 on steroids. Despite having a lighter bass than Andromeda, it is able to bring out spectacular imaging,
soundstage and crispy clean notes. Nothing seems to be missing out. Treble is never strident as well. I'm able to make out the instruments better on the Solaris and found its bass more accurate.
Switching to Andromedas, its bass just had too much presence and clouds the lower mids. I find that both models are more specific towards different kinds of music but I found myself leaning more to the airy and natural Solaris.

May 9, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #5,088 of 12,035
I must say Solaris is the most balanced offering from Campfire. Kind of like the CK10 on steroids. Despite having a lighter bass than Andromeda, it is able to bring out spectacular imaging,
soundstage and crispy clean notes. Nothing seems to be missing out. Treble is never strident as well. I'm able to make out the instruments better on the Solaris and found its bass more accurate.
Switching to Andromedas, its bass just had too much presence and clouds the lower mids. I find that both models are more specific towards different kinds of music but I found myself leaning more to the airy and natural Solaris.

This is my belief as well. I came from the Atlas and was initially worried that the comparative lack of bass would make me long for it-- however instead I've come to appreciate the value and beauty of a balanced signature. Nothing stands out and yet everything stands out. The more time I spend with Solaris the greater this appreciation becomes. The thing is-- on tracks that call for it (think Deadmau5) the Solaris can absolutely pound...so at the times when it doesn't I have to conclude that this is because the track itself just wasn't mastered to contain a lot of bass. I spent over an hour a-b-c'ing the Solaris, Andromeda and Atlas with a large variety of tracks and I found myself preferring the Solaris just about all the time. It's a wonderful IEM.

May 9, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #5,089 of 12,035
Alright friends, would it make sense to get the ifi Black label or ZX300?

For those that have both, which sound do you prefer?

I'm also looking at the cheaper option of only getting an iematch for my R6, but I've heard it affects the sound of the iem?
iFi micro idsd BL is the best sounding source I've heard under 1K$. It also has great features and can drive pretty much every headphone/IEM correctly.
The only problem is that it's too big. If that's not a problem for you, go for it. Definitely a better sounding device than R6 or ZX300 IMO.

May 10, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #5,090 of 12,035
Hello all, I finally put in an order for these. I'm planning on buying a balanced cable for these and am trying to decide between gold plated copper or a mix of gold plated copper with pure silver (Namely Nocturnal Audio Altair/Asteria Trimetal)

Which of the two would be a better match for the Solaris?
According to Ken a friend of his who is into high end stereo said the Gold 16 was the end game cable amongst all that Ken sells. I ended up buying it but haven't had the time to write up a comparison of it against all my other cables.

May 10, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #5,091 of 12,035
Yeah, the combination of a relatively fresh Solaris with my Thor II+ cable results in an energetic, albeit slightly strident sound at times. I’m hoping that an extended burn-in session, or prolonged use, might temper the highs on the Solaris. Otherwise, I’m perfectly happy to use my go-to portable amp, the ALO CV5 to add a touch of warmth. :)

I have the 8wire thor ii and the highs are lovely, I would say I'm a bit sensitive to treble so if done incorrectly it will bother me. Hopefully the thor + will be what you're looking for. I'm using the lpgt which is dead neutral and I really love the pairing.

May 10, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #5,092 of 12,035
Hi all, do someone here has the Solaris and the Legend X ? and can compare the 2 a bit ? this thread is very huge to read all pages :D

Depends on if you want bass or balance. Fit wise goes to empire ears. I own both and it really depends what your priorities are and it's tough because sometimes you won't know you like something until you listen to it. They are both totl and I love listening to them.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #5,093 of 12,035
Depends on if you want bass or balance. Fit wise goes to empire ears. I own both and it really depends what your priorities are and it's tough because sometimes you won't know you like something until you listen to it. They are both totl and I love listening to them.
I have and absolutely love my legend but considering the Solaris too ... is it „thin“ against the LX ?

May 10, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #5,094 of 12,035
I have and absolutely love my legend but considering the Solaris too ... is it „thin“ against the LX ?

@twister6 compared LX to Solaris in his reivew of the latter and had this to say:

"Soundstage depth is the same, while LX soundstage is wider. As expected, LX bass is more dominant with a harder hitting mid-bass and deeper sub-bass rumble. Solaris bass is more neutral-balanced with less impact. Both lower and upper mids have a very similar quality with a more natural detailed tonality, but Solaris presentation is more forward and with a little better retrieval of details, especially since its bass is not as dominating. Also, Solaris lower treble has more sparkle and a little crisper, while LX treble is smoother and not as airy."

May 10, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #5,095 of 12,035

Hmmm that's a tough one I'm not necessarily the best at describing. Compared to legend x it is thin down low but imo I don't think bass is weak at all. And I listen to a lot of dj mixes like the balanced dj series. Solaris though plays everything well. I love the highs, soundstage, and vocals. They definitely compliment ea other nicely. Gotta break em in though. Just like legend x sounded better as time went on so does solaris

May 10, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #5,097 of 12,035
If anyone wants to check out a beautiful song that sounds absolutely perfect on Solaris and captures all of its strengths check out "Turn Me On" by Norah Jones.

May 10, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #5,098 of 12,035
If anyone wants to check out a beautiful song that sounds absolutely perfect on Solaris and captures all of its strengths check out "Turn Me On" by Norah Jones.

mine is this... u can tes each freq in the song, and separation... and also Bass plus sub bass

I will try that Norah Jones...

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #5,100 of 12,035
Anyone here own both the Solaris and Z1R? I’m curious how they compare.

The Z1R is a difficult IEM to get consistent impressions about but from what I've been able to gather it's more V shaped than Solaris with elevated bass and treble and slightly recessed mids. I'm very curious to try it too but the biggest reservation I have about it is that it seems that it might be difficult to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back