Campfire - Solaris
Oct 30, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #496 of 12,035
I recently got a Snugs custom-tips made for my Andromeda S. This is after asking CA about their custom tips and they said they were busy with other custom projects (Equinox I guess) so they can't do custom tips now, referring me to Snugs. I didn't have to send my physical ear impressions to Snugs as they take digital 3D STL ear impression files which I already have.

I love the fit of the custom tips but the sound with this combo isn't optimal for me: better isolation but the sound feel more "compressed" with reduced sound stage. Since the Snugs tips are silicone, they are soft and kind of stick to your ears so you need to pluck it out of your ears when removing the IEMs + tips. I usually twist my custom/universal IEMs forward when removing them but this didn't work too well as I often just end up taking the Andromeda out with the tips still stuck in my ears.

I think you can get custom tips only if you have real fit issues with the universal tips. Don't expect it to magically turn your universal IEM into a custom one because the fit might be as good as a custom IEM, but the sound you get may not. In my case, I think the custom tips have narrower bores than the Andromedas' that resulted in the congested sound that I hear.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #497 of 12,035
I recently got a Snugs custom-tips made for my Andromeda S. This is after asking CA about their custom tips and they said they were busy with other custom projects (Equinox I guess) so they can't do custom tips now, referring me to Snugs. I didn't have to send my physical ear impressions to Snugs as they take digital 3D STL ear impression files which I already have.

I love the fit of the custom tips but the sound with this combo isn't optimal for me: better isolation but the sound feel more "compressed" with reduced sound stage. Since the Snugs tips are silicone, they are soft and kind of stick to your ears so you need to pluck it out of your ears when removing the IEMs + tips. I usually twist my custom/universal IEMs forward when removing them but this didn't work too well as I often just end up taking the Andromeda out with the tips still stuck in my ears.

I think you can get custom tips only if you have real fit issues with the universal tips. Don't expect it to magically turn your universal IEM into a custom one because the fit might be as good as a custom IEM, but the sound you get may not. In my case, I think the custom tips have narrower bores than the Andromedas' that resulted in the congested sound that I hear.

Got a similar response from CA regarding Andromeda tips. Don’t think I can justify the expense for snugs, but I might try a more affordable option from Ambient Acoustics or something local.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #498 of 12,035
75C3A644-176E-4D36-BE01-0C629B17B455.jpeg

76 hours on the Solaris and it is starting to open up now and approach the performance of Kens unit I tried at the Tokyo show

9A98EA49-26C8-4C0E-B8E9-D249AA50C134.jpeg

Campfire Audio Solaris,
CA 4.4mm balanced cable
to iBasso DX200 / Amp 8

Attachments

• C56DF784-2B9E-4CC8-9E39-40B4D4869AE7.jpeg
    C56DF784-2B9E-4CC8-9E39-40B4D4869AE7.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #499 of 12,035
Family photo.. :)

6uPxVlZ.jpg

Tough to say which is my favorite, each have unique advantages. Though I wouldn't be sad if I 'only' had the Solaris, it is so well rounded and hard to fault. Easy to listen for hours, such a smooth and effortless sound. I took the Solaris to work today and let's just say my day went by really quickly.

Sort of a odd question, but how would you compare the Solaris to your Auteur?

Oct 31, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #500 of 12,035

76 hours on the Solaris and it is starting to open up now and approach the performance of Kens unit I tried at the Tokyo show

Campfire Audio Solaris,
CA 4.4mm balanced cable
to iBasso DX200 / Amp 8
Can you please tell me how the Solaris changes upon burn in?

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #501 of 12,035
Can you please tell me how the Solaris changes upon burn in?
i
Thats what I am trying to work out at the moment.
And I am only halfway through the process.

Also I have just started tip rolling today to try to find the right for for the Solaris and my pixie ears.

Which may skew results somewhat.

Time will tell.

5CB21BA4-1B80-475E-86CC-50BA526DA7DB.jpeg

Attachments

• 0026053E-0087-4FE4-BFE2-BC61F0DD5566.jpeg
    0026053E-0087-4FE4-BFE2-BC61F0DD5566.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 0
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #502 of 12,035
From what I gather from first impressions of the Solaris, the signatures seem significantly different so it's not just a matter of X better than Y (as it's most of the time the case unless signature are very similar and pure technicalities make the split).

For sure and I am not looking for somebody to tell me which is better but more to describe the signatures side by side. I coild potentially have the chance to order a demo unit but not of both at the same time.
At the end I am looking for warmness and easygoing listening of Beyerdynamic Xelento, bass and details of IMR R1 and mids of Toneking T88k. These are my 3 IEMs I like a lot and would like to combine in 1 end-game IEM.

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #503 of 12,035

Good to know thanks!

I was wondering how it affected the signature... plus the fact that the IEM body will stick out like a sore thumb... they do half ear custom tips as well, maybe better?
Food for thoughts...

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #504 of 12,035
i
Thats what I am trying to work out at the moment.
And I am only halfway through the process.

Also I have just started tip rolling today to try to find the right for for the Solaris and my pixie ears.

Which may skew results somewhat.

Time will tell.

Have you tried the Sony Triple Comfort tips? They currently my favorite tips. The foam isn't mushy like comply tips so they do not take away any highs or makes the bass muddy.

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #506 of 12,035
Good to know thanks!

I was wondering how it affected the signature... plus the fact that the IEM body will stick out like a sore thumb... they do half ear custom tips as well, maybe better?
Food for thoughts...

The IEMs will stick out a little more than usual using custom tips. Comfort-wise, they are great! No issues at all for me even after extended listening sessions. I think this custom tips thing will vary from person to person since we are jamming this rigid universal IEM into a mold and everyone's ear canals have different shapes and sizes. I've heard many people love using custom tips for Sennheiser IE800, maybe it works better for IEMs that can be directly inserted into your ears like the Atlas?

I think the tips will work well if you have large ear canals, at least this is my guess from some of the CA custom tips pictures from other threads. Larger ear canal -> larger bore on the custom tips -> won't block the IEM sound ports as much.

On the universal tips side, I find that Crystal Foam tips is the winner for me using the Andromeda S, doesn't muddy the sound like Comply Tips, a little better than CA's marshmallow tips (as I'm typing this I finally realize why CA named the tips Marshmallow: Campfire + Marshmallow LOL). I also have Symbio Ws, Sony Triple-Comfort but I haven't tried them on the Andromeda yet since I am loving the crystal tips right now.

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #507 of 12,035
Hmmm snugs answer for custom tips for Solaris...

Hi David, unfortunately, we are not templating any more of these pro-style earphones unless we get high demand or they become best-sellers in the run-up to Christmas.
Do you know anyone who has Snugs on another Campfire model you could try on the Solaris? The other option would be to contact the manufacturer and ask them if the driver templates are the same size and shape as any of the others we do have. I hope this helps, many thanks!

In the meantime, waiting eagerly for the FedEx truck, getting antsy here almost noon!

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #508 of 12,035
Hmmm snugs answer for custom tips for Solaris...

In the meantime, waiting eagerly for the FedEx truck, getting antsy here almost noon!

Check out the Custom Art custom silicone tips option if you're looking at custom tips. They are only €50 if memory serves (plus cost of getting impressions if you don't have them to send). I have a set, so will try them with the Solaris later in the week and see how they work (out at a gig tonight) - they are currently doing service on my Atlas and working really well for that purpose.

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #509 of 12,035

David gets antsy...
FedEX guy rings door bell. David opens:
jKoapWL.gif

FedEx guy: "Oh, sorry, I just realized I forgot your box at HQ."
David:
tumblr_nsananErfk1thtthgo2_r1_500.gif

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #510 of 12,035
@candlejack lol, I am kind of feeling like this the guy is late I want my precious!

hCD659181

Apparently when I phoned they said it's a subcontractor handling delivery so this explains that... I hope this goes through today anyway, I have a very bad experience with subcontractors... what the hell it had to fall on this very day :rage:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back