Campfire - Solaris
Dec 31, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #2,836 of 12,035
I am a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac and have been enjoying the Rumors Album. Any particular part of any song on that album considered sub optimal? I find the whole thing fantastic. Grateful Dead "Fire on the Mountain" and Pink Floyd's "Wish you were Here" are epic as well. Love the hell out of these.

Have a watch of their dance tour video, especially see the way Stevie looks at Lindsey when she sing Silver Spring.

As for Pink Floyd I do love Sorrow, but Shine on you crazy Diamond is always a firm favorite as is Comfortably Numb.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #2,837 of 12,035
Have a watch of their dance tour video, especially see the way Stevie looks at Lindsey when she sing Silver Spring.

As for Pink Floyd I do love Sorrow, but Shine on you crazy Diamond is always a firm favorite as is Comfortably Numb.
I was about to take an acid trip to celebrate new year but listened to Echoes instead.

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #2,838 of 12,035
Back to the Solaris, I feel that the sample I listened to was a good sample. It sounded good, but I would say it lacks the refinement that my Andromedas have. I don't know if it's possible, but I feel that if they had used Andro S, swapped the 2 bass drivers for the Atlas driver, they would have a winning product on their hands.

The bass is already very good though compared to the Andromedas. People say that they would like more, but coming from Andros, they are already fantastic.

I think the price is quite reasonable considering many of the other hybrids released are much more expensive, like the Z1r and the Trinity etc. I doubt they will be like the Andromedas and set the new bar for price/performance ratio, but they are quite nice in my opinion.

with all due respect, i think Trinity sounds better than Solaris (personal opinion!)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #2,839 of 12,035
with all due respect, i think Trinity sounds better than Solaris (perosnal opinion!)
That's a 3800 dollar iem. It'd better be better for that price :wink:

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #2,844 of 12,035
That's a 3800 dollar iem. It'd better be better for that price :wink:

Honestly I am not sure it is necessarily better for everyone, it will come down to personal preferences as well so better yes probably on some criterias but better in absolute terms means nothing to me as it’s as much a matter of signature as anything else.

Are the KSE1500 better than the Solaris in technicalities? Probably but I still would pick the Solaris if I had to choose one because it’s my personal preference in terms of signature. They’re different, different flavors. There is room for both.

This being said if they managed to pull off the crossover, the Trinity is probably something to behold!
Curious about those triple hybrids, as they are probably a real challenge in terms of cohesiveness. Noble Khan falls into that list as well.

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #2,845 of 12,035
Honestly I am not sure it is necessarily better for everyone, it will come down to personal preferences as well so better yes probably on some criterias but better in absolute terms means nothing to me as it’s as much a matter of signature as anything else.

Are the KSE1500 better than the Solaris in technicalities? Probably but I still would pick the Solaris if I had to choose one because it’s my personal preference in terms of signature. They’re different, different flavors. There is room for both.

This being said if they managed to pull off the crossover, the Trinity is probably something to behold!
Curious about those triple hybrids, as they are probably a real challenge in terms of cohesiveness. Noble Khan falls into that list as well.

keen to try the Khan too;

ever since i tried electrostats..

wow~

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #2,846 of 12,035

I am not in the camp of this is better than that anymore either. They all have a certain flavor, and its up to you, and your sensibilities as to what you like more.
I'd like to try the trinity for sure, but not about to spend 2800 on an iem.
KSE1500 is not my cup of tea at all, when I tried it, it sounded really slow and dead. No separation and musicality either. Harsh.
Just proves even more, there is no "one" to rule them all.
It's just what you like. Kinda puts you at peace if you really internalize that fact.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #2,847 of 12,035
All of the above being said, I do not think the Solaris is terrible or anything. The resolution is there and some, the presentation and voicing in the mids quite unique. Just the plasticky nature and almost nasality of the treble, and bass that frankly is almost unbecoming of a DD that make the solaris a less than ideal candidate for me. Slotted next to the andromeda, or perhaps just above would've been a fine place. The current msrp of 1500usd, or 1600+ eur in europe, make it a lot less attractive with how competitive the market is today.[/SIZE]

Great review. Thanks for the thoughts.

I'll have to go back and listen for the odd bass/treble you're describing on that specific track. Might actually line up with some of the FR graphs out there.

I love the Solaris, it's near perfect for me, signature wise. Though I will 100% agree with you that the bass is thinner than I expected from a DD (though I would not say the bass is thin, just less quantity than I expected).

I use the bass boost on my Oppo HA2-SE for most music, and that's what I expected the Solaris to sound like. I dont know how much it boosts, or at which frequencies. I found one post online that said it boosts 6db from 50 to 150, but have no way to verify that.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #2,848 of 12,035
keen to try the Khan too;
ever since i tried electrostats..
wow~

I per-ordered the Khan during the Noble BF Sale. The first units should be shipping in March.
I will try to make a comparison to Solaris when it comes out.

Always enjoyed that Noble sound, their high ends are always very clean and revealing. The first generation K10 was a great punchy and fun earphone that gave me years of service. The Katana and Encore have different signatures, and both rewarding in their own way, with the Encores being more like an updated K10 and the Katana's being more revealing and surgical in nature. But I digress.

Still, for my preferences, I think the Solaris are better than the current released Noble earphones.
Both good companies working hard to make quality gear, IMHO.

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #2,849 of 12,035
Happy New year..

I keep on coming back to this thread like a moth to a flame.

Anyway, we can all agree on great music, or so I hope.
Here's a great cover of a great song - from the 80's. The Flac version sounds great on the Solaris.

Nice song.... Thank you for the point out. the timbre (Roco2 instrument CMIIW) is strong stroke and quick pace.
if u like this, try XXXtentacion "Whoa (Wind in Awe)" the 3D Imaging....

Photo reposts.

Ken Balls choice of music for me when I first heard the demo Solaris using his Sony WM1Z.

He likes foamies.

And one of my favorite rigs
iBasso DX200 and Amp 8.
(Same song)

Symbio W peel Mandarines tips

Players, earphones and music
WOW... the main guitar and the bass was extend, i think this is Solaris strong point...the body had Shape in Sub Bass.... Sub Mid is crazy....
craving for DAP....

edit : now listenin Queen - Prince of Universe, this remind me of old TV Series Highlander... hmm good old days....

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #2,850 of 12,035
I per-ordered the Khan during the Noble BF Sale. The first units should be shipping in March.
I will try to make a comparison to Solaris when it comes out.

Always enjoyed that Noble sound, their high ends are always very clean and revealing. The first generation K10 was a great punchy and fun earphone that gave me years of service. The Katana and Encore have different signatures, and both rewarding in their own way, with the Encores being more like an updated K10 and the Katana's being more revealing and surgical in nature. But I digress.

Still, for my preferences, I think the Solaris are better than the current released Noble earphones.
Both good companies working hard to make quality gear, IMHO.

unfortunately i have not had the chance to try the K10 =/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back