Campfire - Solaris
Nov 22, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,742 of 12,035
Nov 22, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,744 of 12,035
Was there really enough between the White and the Green to make you want to get the Green as well? I was also a bit surprised to see you chose the Green over the S, considering your remarks about preferring a more forward midrange. Care to elaborate on these points a bit?

Yes, the impression actually surprised myself as well. Going into the audition I expect to lean towards the S tuning as on paper the little bit of mid centric shift would be favoring my taste. However, I can't help but feel that the S sounds like an EQed Green, a perfect EQ as it can be, it still feels like bending a natural state where the IEM is happiest towards an offsetted target, and as a result having a bit of a residue tension in the sound due to the bending. The mid as a result is richer 100% of the time with more texture, and carrying more emotion 90% of the time comparing to the Green, but on that last 10% of time it would expose a little harshness, a sense of trying too hard. The unique situation to me is that a Green Andro can some time be dancing on the cliff edge from being too hot to me, though it never does, even a little bit more from retune pushes beyond that threshold.
On top of that, I feel that Andro, like 334 in a way is a cult classic that will transcend technicality, and the magic bit in sound that set the Andro apart from everything else ( including CA's own offering ), is partially lost in the S ( can't put a number, maybe 20% ? it's not insignificant to me), and even a little bit hampered in the White CK. It's a trade off that's bit too dear to me.
To be frank I never thought I'd be into Andro in the first place as my previous goto is TG334, which stereotypically describes my preference and depict my usual instinct for the direction of next upgrade. Andro has a sound that was previously 'impossible' to me as there is little to none viscosity in the voice and yet it still manages to be sweet and forgiving at all time. I realize now that this 'impossible' sound is also a very fragile state of tuning in a parametric space where a slight deviation or retune would break something down in a non-linear way, and that there doesn't exist a slew of slightly different flavored Andros that can keep the samemagic intact, for me at least.

As it comes to the White v.s. the Green, it could be down to the unit2unit difference ( I hope not as finger crossed my new Green sounds exactly like the shop demo ), but I feel my White CK has both a little more sparkle up top and more vocal presence than Green, but the vocal presence is achieved by more texture on the White, not a closer and more intimate image. The Green is just a little more forgiving and effortless.

I will probably be selling the White CK in near future, auditioning the Solaris gave me every bit of justification to buy a new pair of Green as I understand the higher cost from R&D and manufacturing with the Solaris comparing to Andro, and the intrinsic impulse that would lean me towards buying Solaris. If even all these can't steer me away from the signature Andro sound, then getting as close as possible to that signature sound is well worth the investment.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,745 of 12,035
Anyone tried the Solaris with the Hiby R6 yet? Want to get a 2.5mm balanced source for reviews as a backup to my DX200 / Amp8, and waving between this and the DX120. Anyone have any thoughts? Not looking to spend big.

Nov 22, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #1,746 of 12,035
This makes your feedback on the Atlas all the more interesting to me :)

I think everyone should try Atlas, for me it's a keeper together with Andro, Solaris or U18t.
I thought that going from Andro to Solaris would be an easy choice, but after some listening sessions with Solaris and falling in love with Andro back again I am in doubt now.
I will have to have more extended sessions...

Nov 22, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,747 of 12,035
I think everyone should try Atlas, for me it's a keeper together with Andro, Solaris or U18t.
I thought that going from Andro to Solaris would be an easy choice, but after some listening sessions with Solaris and falling in love with Andro back again I am in doubt now.
I will have to have more extended sessions...

Andro is an old itch of mine that for some reason never happened...

Nov 22, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,748 of 12,035
All this Andro vs Solaris talk is kind of interesting since I just sold mine to upgrade to the Solaris. I guess since a lot of music I listen to are either bass-heavy EDM or female vocal pop Solaris might be a better match in the long run, since the lack of low-bass on the Andro was quite noticeable on a lot of songs I listened to whilst the sparkling vocals was really nice

On a side note it seems that Audiologica sources their CA stock from Hifiheadphones

Nov 22, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,750 of 12,035
Yes, the impression actually surprised myself as well. Going into the audition I expect to lean towards the S tuning as on paper the little bit of mid centric shift would be favoring my taste. However, I can't help but feel that the S sounds like an EQed Green, a perfect EQ as it can be, it still feels like bending a natural state where the IEM is happiest towards an offsetted target, and as a result having a bit of a residue tension in the sound due to the bending. The mid as a result is richer 100% of the time with more texture, and carrying more emotion 90% of the time comparing to the Green, but on that last 10% of time it would expose a little harshness, a sense of trying too hard. The unique situation to me is that a Green Andro can some time be dancing on the cliff edge from being too hot to me, though it never does, even a little bit more from retune pushes beyond that threshold.
On top of that, I feel that Andro, like 334 in a way is a cult classic that will transcend technicality, and the magic bit in sound that set the Andro apart from everything else ( including CA's own offering ), is partially lost in the S ( can't put a number, maybe 20% ? it's not insignificant to me), and even a little bit hampered in the White CK. It's a trade off that's bit too dear to me.
To be frank I never thought I'd be into Andro in the first place as my previous goto is TG334, which stereotypically describes my preference and depict my usual instinct for the direction of next upgrade. Andro has a sound that was previously 'impossible' to me as there is little to none viscosity in the voice and yet it still manages to be sweet and forgiving at all time. I realize now that this 'impossible' sound is also a very fragile state of tuning in a parametric space where a slight deviation or retune would break something down in a non-linear way, and that there doesn't exist a slew of slightly different flavored Andros that can keep the samemagic intact, for me at least.

As it comes to the White v.s. the Green, it could be down to the unit2unit difference ( I hope not as finger crossed my new Green sounds exactly like the shop demo ), but I feel my White CK has both a little more sparkle up top and more vocal presence than Green, but the vocal presence is achieved by more texture on the White, not a closer and more intimate image. The Green is just a little more forgiving and effortless.

I will probably be selling the White CK in near future, auditioning the Solaris gave me every bit of justification to buy a new pair of Green as I understand the higher cost from R&D and manufacturing with the Solaris comparing to Andro, and the intrinsic impulse that would lean me towards buying Solaris. If even all these can't steer me away from the signature Andro sound, then getting as close as possible to that signature sound is well worth the investment.
I appreciate the detailed answer although I didn't really understand much of it. :)

Nov 22, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #1,752 of 12,035
I am using a pure silver cable on my Solaris. I think the litz cable it comes with sounds great. Does not restrict the sound of the Solaris in any way but I so happened to have a pure silver cable I was using my Andro S. Switched cables and I prefer my silver cable on the Solaris since it is also terminated with 2.5mm balanced. I want to say to my ears my silver cable brings out a touch more resolution but it is hard to tell the difference to be honest. I am using it on there more since it is in balanced more than anything.

I just use an adapter when I need to use it on single ended. Was using one of my older daps today and the synergy is excellent using of all daps my old Ibasso DX90. Had a goose bump moment listening to this tune. The mids of the Solaris is so spacious. Vocals sound absolutely sublime.

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,753 of 12,035
All this Andro vs Solaris talk is kind of interesting since I just sold mine to upgrade to the Solaris. I guess since a lot of music I listen to are either bass-heavy EDM or female vocal pop Solaris might be a better match in the long run, since the lack of low-bass on the Andro was quite noticeable on a lot of songs I listened to whilst the sparkling vocals was really nice

On a side note it seems that Audiologica sources their CA stock from Hifiheadphones

I just moved from Andro to Solaris and listen to EDM. Solaris is much more suited for my tastes for EDM. I actually pop the bass boost on my HA2 for EDM.

Non-bass heavy music, no bass boost needed. Bass is much more extended on the Solaris, but not in a distracting way.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,754 of 12,035
I just moved from Andro to Solaris and listen to EDM. Solaris is much more suited for my tastes for EDM. I actually pop the bass boost on my HA2 for EDM.

Non-bass heavy music, no bass boost needed. Bass is much more extended on the Solaris, but not in a distracting way.
How did you find the treble compared to the Andro? Curious if there's any actual noticeable difference in the highs on the Solaris

I found that using the bass boost on my Black Label with the Andro increased the low bass too much for me, to the point that it was basshead territory and would make the Andro fatiguing to listen to

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,755 of 12,035
How did you find the treble compared to the Andro? Curious if there's any actual noticeable difference in the highs on the Solaris

I found that using the bass boost on my Black Label with the Andro increased the low bass too much for me, to the point that it was basshead territory and would make the Andro fatiguing to listen to

My initial impression was that the treble was too much for me, not sparkly like the andros, but a little screechy. But, after burn in and some listening time that’s softened and I have no issue with the treble.

I’m also not great at describing what I hear, so take my comments with a grain of salt. There are other people in this thread that give a more detailed comparison.

The short answer is: I sold my andros because I knew I’d never go back. And I say that not really liking how far they (edit: the Solaris) stick out from my small ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back