Campfire - Solaris
Nov 22, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #1,756 of 12,035
My initial impression was that the treble was too much for me, not sparkly like the andros, but a little screechy. But, after burn in and some listening time that’s softened and I have no issue with the treble.

I’m also not great at describing what I hear, so take my comments with a grain of salt. There are other people in this thread that give a more detailed comparison.

The short answer is: I sold my andros because I knew I’d never go back. And I say that not really liking how far they stick out from my small ears.
I had a similar experience with the Treble. Right out of the box, it was uneven and even a little bright for me. After burn in, the Treble is absolutely perfect.

@davidmolliere Maybe you got a somewhat burned in unit :? idk

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #1,757 of 12,035
I just moved from Andro to Solaris and listen to EDM. Solaris is much more suited for my tastes for EDM. I actually pop the bass boost on my HA2 for EDM.

Non-bass heavy music, no bass boost needed. Bass is much more extended on the Solaris, but not in a distracting way.

Noticed you have a Vega in your signature. How are they compared to the Solaris for EDM?

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #1,759 of 12,035
Well I had a little gathering with another headfier couple of days ago. I recently sold an andro, a vega and a focal clear and bought the Solaris. Trevor from Norne Audio sent me his latest pure silver cable, the Silverguarde 3 and that is what I am using with the Solaris 4.4 balance into 1Z. I always like a very high end silver sound as they seem to clean out the sound and tightened up all the bloominess. I will say that the new stock cable-the pure silver litz is one of the best stock cable Campfire ships with their Iems but the Silvergarde 3 up the sound by 30%.

At hand we have the WM1Z, LPG, and Woo WA8. The pairing with 1Z has been described a few times here but the pairing with the 1z and WA8 improves the sound by couple of notch.

I noticed that the Andro S is out of stock now so I called and was told that they will not restock the Andro S as it is a limited edition. So the Andro S is now officially over. So I went into the B stock site and snap up a Andro S before they are gone, great price at $849.00.

My Solaris has about 60 hours and I already have a few thoughts of returning the Solaris back as I have the two weeks return policy with campfire. I finally realize that the hopes of wanting a Atlas-Andro sound in one iem is a fantasy. It doesn’t exist regardless of how many of us want It to be. That shimmering, sparkling, airiness just cannot be reproduced in Solaris nor the thumping visceral bass of the Atlas. The Solaris is a different sound altogether albeit a rather nice sound if one wants it. I also learn or notice another charisteristic of the mid range sound of the Solaris. I might not have noticed it had I not known that the mid range is cover by both the dd driver and the BA driver. By now having owned some of the best single driver iems (Lab 2, Vega, Atlas, LCD i4, Fibass, etc) I have grown use to the smooth smooth sound of single driver and as I pay close attention to the mid range on the Solaris, I keep thinking I am hearing both the dd and the BA making the sound. Could be placebo but I will investigate a little more into it.

I understand life is full of trade offs and at this point I am much more appreciative for each of the beautiful things that each Iems can do. Happy thanksgiving.

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #1,761 of 12,035
Well I had a little gathering with another headfier couple of days ago. I recently sold an andro, a vega and a focal clear and bought the Solaris. Trevor from Norne Audio sent me his latest pure silver cable, the Silverguarde 3 and that is what I am using with the Solaris 4.4 balance into 1Z. I always like a very high end silver sound as they seem to clean out the sound and tightened up all the bloominess. I will say that the new stock cable-the pure silver litz is one of the best stock cable Campfire ships with their Iems but the Silvergarde 3 up the sound by 30%.

At hand we have the WM1Z, LPG, and Woo WA8. The pairing with 1Z has been described a few times here but the pairing with the 1z and WA8 improves the sound by couple of notch.

I noticed that the Andro S is out of stock now so I called and was told that they will not restock the Andro S as it is a limited edition. So the Andro S is now officially over. So I went into the B stock site and snap up a Andro S before they are gone, great price at $849.00.

My Solaris has about 60 hours and I already have a few thoughts of returning the Solaris back as I have the two weeks return policy with campfire. I finally realize that the hopes of wanting a Atlas-Andro sound in one iem is a fantasy. It doesn’t exist regardless of how many of us want It to be. That shimmering, sparkling, airiness just cannot be reproduced in Solaris nor the thumping visceral bass of the Atlas. The Solaris is a different sound altogether albeit a rather nice sound if one wants it. I also learn or notice another charisteristic of the mid range sound of the Solaris. I might not have noticed it had I not known that the mid range is cover by both the dd driver and the BA driver. By now having owned some of the best single driver iems (Lab 2, Vega, Atlas, LCD i4, Fibass, etc) I have grown use to the smooth smooth sound of single driver and as I pay close attention to the mid range on the Solaris, I keep thinking I am hearing both the dd and the BA making the sound. Could be placebo but I will investigate a little more into it.

I understand life is full of trade offs and at this point I am much more appreciative for each of the beautiful things that each Iems can do. Happy thanksgiving.

You can't have the thumbing bass of Andro without sacrificing the midrange and you can't have the sparkling treble of Andro without making the sound signature overtly bright.
Solaris is all about the perfect balance. That's my opinion.

Also Solaris midrange is done by the DD and the rear ported BA driver.

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #1,762 of 12,035
Should have gone for Atlas, they are a better Vega :p

I considered them, but for the same price I got new Vegas, versus b stock atlas, as well as a balanced cable and a ref 8 cable.

I was also nervous of fit with atlas. When the cable goes straight out I have problems keeping iems from falling out.

Either way, they'll be a nice compliment to the solaris...or I'll hate them and someone will get a nice, hardly used set of iems :)

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #1,763 of 12,035
By now having owned some of the best single driver iems (Lab 2, Vega, Atlas, LCD i4, Fibass, etc) I have grown use to the smooth smooth sound of single driver and as I pay close attention to the mid range on the Solaris, I keep thinking I am hearing both the dd and the BA making the sound. Could be placebo but I will investigate a little more into it.

Have you tried IE800s, Xelento and Dream? Or maybe RHA CL2? Thanks for your impression and Happy Thanksgiving

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #1,765 of 12,035

You should try RE2000. I joined the deal and will make a comparison with my Solaris

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #1,766 of 12,035
You should try RE2000. I joined the deal and will make a comparison with my Solaris
You were not satisfied with that hifiman ?

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,768 of 12,035
Nov 23, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #1,769 of 12,035
Have you tried IE800s, Xelento and Dream? Or maybe RHA CL2? Thanks for your impression and Happy Thanksgiving
I have tired Xelento several times and as recent as couple of days ago when I gather with my friend. Ie800 and Dream heard them in show condition. I almost bought the Xelento one time.

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #1,770 of 12,035
I did tried the RE2000 last month and it was good but can replace what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back