Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jan 1, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #2,326 of 5,394
None of the CA IEMs are slouches, and of course its a matter of taste, preference of sound signature and synergy with ones dap of choice.

I could pick up any one and probably be happy....enough. But having a few it always comes back to the Vegas or Andromeda for various reasons such as preferred sound signature, detail retrieval, sound stage, fit etc etc.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,327 of 5,394
None of the CA IEMs are slouches, and of course its a matter of taste, preference of sound signature and synergy with ones dap of choice.

I could pick up any one and probably be happy....enough. But having a few it always comes back to the Vegas or Andromeda for various reasons such as preferred sound signature, detail retrieval, sound stage, fit etc etc.

Well said! I find myself always going back to the Vega's since I got them. Cheers 

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #2,328 of 5,394
i preferred andro over vega, and finally purchased the andros during the past black friday sale. it compliments my TG334 and ex1000 rather well.

at the same time i was also quite taken by the jupiter, which imho, is the best vfm ratio amongst the CA line up, i am curious as to whether Dorado is closer overall to the tuning of Andro or Jupiter? If so, it would be a perfect fun otg iem for me i suppose.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #2,330 of 5,394
Hmm, would be interesting to hear some comparisons between the Vega and the Shure SE846. Still trying to decide if I keep them or send them back and look for an alternative...

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #2,331 of 5,394
There has been a few comparisons. I owned the 8s about 2 years ago, so I can't say with much certainty, but I believe the Vegas we're better all around. I loved the Vegas on first listen, while I remember really liking the 8s.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #2,332 of 5,394
@Ken, what is the deciding factor in using 8.5mm as the dimension for the DD in Vega?  I am sure you experimented 9 or 10 mm in your R/D?  How will the sound change if the size increases?

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,338 of 5,394
Popping back in with my Vega and QP1R. Listening to various styles of Studio Ghibli scores (ie: Jazz, Rock, etc). Considering I used to play guitar, trumpet, and oboe, while I still continue playing violin, I REALLY love the Vega. Its bloody amazing. The brilliant, brass ring from the trumpet, the tempo controlling of the drums, the texture of the guitar strings, the emotion of the violin's ring. Its all there. Every time I put on the Vega I remember the old days growing up of me playing in the school band or in my 5 man band. My Jupiter before sounded amazing and definitely one of the best price to performance IEMs on the market.
The Vega is insanely different. Sure, it might not have separation that the Andro has but its no slouch. Kind of like if the Andro was excellent, the Vega would be rated between Very good and Excellent. Honestly, I love the Vega because I can believe my ears. I can hear the differences between two different instruments with no problem. I can hear the differences between the steel violin strings vs something like a high-end synthetic or true gut violin string. If the tempo and style changes, it brings it out. In fact, I'm listening to those tracks now as I type this.

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,339 of 5,394
Hmm, would be interesting to hear some comparisons between the Vega and the Shure SE846. Still trying to decide if I keep them or send them back and look for an alternative...

My Shure 846 MMXC connecter broke last week after three years of ownership. The suggested solution was to replace the entire broken unit, which is a option i am not willing to exercise.

The Vegas to me sound more natural. I have only used the blue filter. Listening to the Shure 846 through a smartphone, on the go, was always enjoyable. The overall signature suited listening to pop music on apps like Spotify very well (especiall with that subwoofer like bass). For classical they sounded okay. I think that like some other BA IEMs, timbre is lacking. Hence it didn't really bring out the best out of rock music as well. Inspite of this, I felt 846 provided incredible value for money. If only the MMXC connectors were more durable. (My units had to under go repairs twice during the period they were covered by warranty, again due to MMCX connector issues. The connection issues stopped after i switched to aftermarket cables.

As for the Vegas, I can't comment on the durability as of yet. As for whether it is a step above the SE846, yes it very much is. Music was enjoyable with the 846. But with the Vegas it's even more so. But to get there, you need a decent source for sure. Playing music from a spotify app from a smartphone, the Vegas sound worse then the 846. However with the poweramp app, the Vega starts to shine, by a significant amount. Once a decent source is attained, the Vegas presentation of music is so much more lifelike. Male vocals, female vocals to me sound right, and certain well recorded live tracks, can provide a hair raising experience. 

The bass on the 846, was binary, and you only hear variations in it's intensity. For mid bass (I am not really sure about this), but it completely lacked mid bass, as any bass that you hear was  the result of the subbass effect from the low pass filter (someone pls correct me if i am wrong).

If you are gonna use at least power amp (high gain settings, and a abit of eq) on a smartphone, the vegas sound like no other. It may not be as resolving as a multi BA IEM, or have a huge soundstage; but the upsides to the Vegas tonality mentioned on this fourm all hold true to me. The Vegas really need to burn in before you hear their true potential. The retail shop's demo version was not fully burnt in, but i still took a leap of faith on the capability of a DD over BA, and fellow reviewer's feedback. The risk has only led to rewards.

I tried the other products from campfire line-up, and felt that products were placed in the different price tiers appropriately. I found the akt8ie mkii was able to bring out emotions from the music much more easily, and was in half a mind to purchase it instead. However I still think that the Vegas, as a package provide better value. Most importantly it is value for money to me. Currently I am looking around for a value for money DAP/ DAC with Amp to complement the Vegas (any suggestions??, haha).

I think demoing IEMs on a extended basis, with all the right conditions is not a option that is available to quite a number of us. It takes time to appreciate a IEM. My purchase decision was simple, I like quality bass, and BAs even with the low pass filters of the 846, was not doing it for me. Even IEMs like the Empire Ear Zues , did not appeal to me as the bass did not sound natural. I am really happy with this product 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2,340 of 5,394
Anyone that heard the Vega and also heard the Aurisonics 2.0 and 2.5, which one of these bad boy closest resemblance to the Vega in regarding to BASS. I'm trying to add another iem to my collection that could dethrone the Vega in the bass department. A little clarify would be great instead of something like 2.5 should do it. Thanks for inputs!

Edit: Is the Vega had more sub-bass than mid-bass, or the bass of the Vega is equally distribute along the low frequencies? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back