Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jul 28, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #8,896 of 9,829
Having owned the v2, v3, AndroS and AG in the past...

MW10.jpg

Just got my MW10 and I think it's probably the best version of Andro yet (gotta demo the Andro 2020 though). It's like it the took the OG, lifted the veil, boosted the upper mids slightly for some clarity and maybe reduced the mid-bass a little. What results is an Andro w/ the OG's treble, the S's mids and a very coherent bass. Enjoying it a lot and the mids on it are particularly fantastic (probably the best out of all the Andro versions) and the treble is not very peaky. Soundstage is reduced a little, but there is tons of air and I believe imaging improved significantly as well as the instrument separation and layering. It's also fairly dynamic (not as much as a DD IEM), but it's very engaging and keeps you bobbing your head to the music. It's an excellent tuning and if @audio123 @ExpatinJapan or @Currawong can chime in about it's differences with the 2020, that would be much appreciated. I suspect they took the MW10's tuning and used it on the 2020 as Ken Ball mention. Regardless, great IEM!

Now you need to hear the Ara. I think it would be a good battle between the two.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #8,897 of 9,829
A
Hey guys, I've tried using the E1DA 9038s G3 but have had issues with the volume reverting to max and potentially causing me hearing damage so I'm not confident in using it with my phone.

I will be purchasing a new DAP and can't decide with which one to get. I'd like an Android capable DAP, was thinking Cayin N6ii but have had a Cayin DAP before and the software wasn't great nor the battery life. Is there a better option out there? What's everyone using with their Campfire IEMs?

n6ii owner here-- don't commit to anything until you've heard either the Lotoo PAW S1 dongle or the Lotoo Paw 6000. The former has been an absolute revelation for me with my Solaris and I expect the 6k (which I should have within two days) to be one also.

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #8,899 of 9,829
A

n6ii owner here-- don't commit to anything until you've heard either the Lotoo PAW S1 dongle or the Lotoo Paw 6000. The former has been an absolute revelation for me with my Solaris and I expect the 6k (which I should have within two days) to be one also.

@Rockwell75 thanks for you insight. The problem is, I would like to maintain having my phone separate to my DAP. Originally I was thinking I remove the need for an additional device, but I now have decided I would prefer a DAP and my phone separate. The other thing too is I'd like to maintain the ability to stream Tidal and Spotify so would need an Android capable DAP, hence why I was thinking the N6ii. Although, the reviews I've seen on the N6ii do not indicate that the features of it are promising (battery life is poor, OS is Buggy, etc.) is there anything worth considering in the same ballpark?

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #8,900 of 9,829
@Rockwell75 thanks for you insight. The problem is, I would like to maintain having my phone separate to my DAP. Originally I was thinking I remove the need for an additional device, but I now have decided I would prefer a DAP and my phone separate. The other thing too is I'd like to maintain the ability to stream Tidal and Spotify so would need an Android capable DAP, hence why I was thinking the N6ii. Although, the reviews I've seen on the N6ii do not indicate that the features of it are promising (battery life is poor, OS is Buggy, etc.) is there anything worth considering in the same ballpark?
Sony NW-ZX507

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #8,902 of 9,829
Jul 30, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #8,903 of 9,829

Battery life depends on what board you're using (A01 -> ~ 13 hours, E01 -> ~10 hours) but yeah it is a little buggy. The sound quality is great though. That new Sony I've heard mixed reviews about as well.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #8,904 of 9,829
I have trouble with the differences between the DD and BA when it's done like this. The U12t could've been a DD for all I can tell because of it's great extension and seemingly full sound down deep whereas I'm hard pressed to find a big difference in the Solaris' bass.. but I don't have both side by side to compare and haven't heard the U12t for about 6 months. Now the EE LX or Bravado, now that's where I can tell it's DD bass! (The Blessing 2 is a place where the use of DD for bass seems as nothing to mention as I've heard better BA bass)

To me the Blessing 2 has bass that sounds DD in tone, but it certainly isn't very strong or deep or overly articulate. The Blessing 2 does have a "thin" or crisp sound signature overall, but there is some low-mid warmth that helps smooth out the sound and make it more fun and engaging, which I like.

In my two channel setups, (15-20 years ago) I just sought to recreate what the recording had.. A large symphony I wanted to sound like a hall, Janos Starker on Bach cello suites had him in the chair right between the speakers.. The Solaris 2020 is more an iem experience as there is not the "cheat" you mention. The iems are in your ears and sometimes (like with the Orion) I feel like CA iems can have sounds very localized in the iems, even with the Andromeda.. but with the Solaris, the full "holographic" presentation gives a very real sense of the note or voice as I think the room cues are picked up by the mic. To me there isn't the attempt to make these sound like headphones or speakers at all but they do what they do so well, I'm convinced. For what it's worth, I didn't always like this. When I had the U12t, which has a distant quality, I listened to a friend's Solaris SE and that close presence took me aback for how different it was and because I only had 5 mins or so, I didn't really "get it" like I do now.

That's what I was trying to get at: the best audio reproduction imo is the kind that puts you in the proper place relative to the performers, the place they/the recording engineers want you to be. This is also where you can get that holographic effect where instruments are placed all around your listening space (from the floor to the ceiling, to behind the speakers to behind you, etc. to the point that with material you're not familiar with, or sometimes even are, you hear things that you think are coming from your real environment, like voices or doors, which can actually startle you) and your speakers (or headphones/IEMs) disappear and things sound "live", real. What I don't like is gear that tries to artificially broaden or deepen the sound stage to make up for its failure of an accurate sound stage.

I never understood the Katanas as "analytical" myself.. The K10s were actually my favourite of the three as they were a lot of fun to listen to. The Encores were my least favourite as I think they took the K10 sound and tried to make it seem more impressive by somehow creating a larger soundstage. In the end I think it sacrificed musicality to do so..
Like I said, I really like Noble iems but not at full price. I think there are better iems at those prices. At the current used prices, they are an excellent value though.

Interesting notes. It does seem that Noble IEM's are good, but somewhat overpriced. One reason I ultimately decided against them (even with the upcoming sale).

To be honest, I was underwhelmed. Excellent for $300 if you like that tuning but for me, the bass was not helped by being a DD, the new Moondrop tuning (as opposed to the A8), to me, has vocals sounding a little too in the throat and not in the chest.. but I think that's a personal tuning thing. I had the S8 and tried to love it because it did so much so well but overall I found the vocals to lack body and substance. Cellos were bite and no resonance.. I guess I like a little more warmth.

I definitely think that the Blessing 2 sound is somewhat thin, crisp, dry without as much weight as needed to be more natural sounding. I do like that presentation, at least more than I like a dark, muddy, congested sound if I have to choose. Snappy, quick and clear is preferable for me over slower, laid back, and more undefined. Best is to find a proper balance.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #8,905 of 9,829
So the Solaris 2020 came today. :L3000:

I'll post impressions (I'm not very good at, nor do I like, describing audio equipment however) after some time with them in the Solaris thread as that seems to be more of the proper venue, but I'll just say for now that I'm impressed. So far very satisfied (I always worry if with new "bought blind"--deaf really!--gear I'll be very disappointed as I've been burned many times before, even with well-received gear). They just sound right with everything I've thrown at them so far. Also very comfortable with the three tips I've tried so far (for the best fit/sound; will try many before I decide on a pair). Almost sure they'll be keepers, at least for quite awhile.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me in my decision; I'm already sure I'm going to be quite happy with these!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #8,906 of 9,829
What I don't like is gear that tries to artificially broaden or deepen the sound stage to make up for its failure of an accurate sound stage.

Sounds like CA IEMs aren’t going to be your cup of tea since their TAEC and the Polarity Tuned Chamber broadens the soundstage while making it deeper as well. If you don’t like enhancing the soundstage or making them holographic through tuned chambers then any CA IEM won’t suit your preferences

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #8,908 of 9,829
So I just bought a used 2020 Andro...should have it by Friday. Looking forward to finally being a part of this lofty club, getting to spend some real time with an Andromeda and having a real head-head with my Solaris SE.

Aug 2, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #8,909 of 9,829
So I just bought a used 2020 Andro...should have it by Friday. Looking forward to finally being a part of this lofty club, getting to spend some real time with an Andromeda and having a real head-head with my Solaris SE.

Awesome :) looking forward to your impressions and comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back