Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 7, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #8,926 of 9,829
I'm still smitten with my Andromeda CK Pacific Blue to this day. I'm actually shocked that the used price for this IEM from Japan is way higher than its MSRP. Sadly, I love this IEM to death that I won't even let it go even if someone in is willing enough to buy it and I get 100% profit. Second or equal to MW10 in looks IMHO

49953145907_f6345510a5_k_d.jpg

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #8,927 of 9,829
I'm still smitten with my Andromeda CK Pacific Blue to this day. I'm actually shocked that the used price for this IEM from Japan is way higher than its MSRP. Sadly, I love this IEM to death that I won't even let it go even if someone in is willing enough to buy it and I get 100% profit. Second or equal to MW10 in looks IMHO

49953145907_f6345510a5_k_d.jpg

Blue is my favorite color and this one was always the most tempting of the earlier special editions to me.

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #8,928 of 9,829
I just got mines today!:

2.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg

I've own(ed) the v2, v3, AndroS, Andro Gold, MW10 in the past and here are my impressions as I play through my usual test playlist:

Andro 2020
- compared to OG, lower-mids reduced a tad, some pinna gain comp, treble smoother, sparkle gone
- cleaner presentation
- better separation
- more definition in notes overall
- no more treble spike "the sparkle"
- smaller soundstage

Andro OG v3
- widest soundstage
- "wall of sound" presentation
- sparkle bc of the peak
- less focused presentation
- "sweetest" tonality
- best for orchestra because of the depth + width of the presentation

MW10
- compared to OG, lifted upper mids, treble sparkle still there, sub-bass lifted, mid-bass reduced a tad
- the most dynamic of all the Andros
- sharpest definition
- best and most accurate vocals, especially female
- best and most defined sub-bass (and qty)
- very, very good separation and space between notes
- best layering

AndroS
- compared to OG, sub-bass reduced a bit, mids lifted a tad and treble (sparkle) presence reduced a tad
- easiest one to blind rec because it does everything well but nothing the best

Andro Gold
- most aggressive V-shape of all the Andros
- compared to OG, lifted upper mids, reduced lower mids, bumped mid-bass, less treble extension
- bassiest of all the Andros (mid-bass), but MW10 has better sub-bass
- nicest timbre
- easiest to listen to and chill with

For my personal preferences, I'd rank MW10 > OG v3 = 2020 > AndroS = AG. But ya, I personally find MW10 a cut above the rest, can hang w/ the top tier stuff like U12T, Z1R, VX, etc. It easiest has the most definition and dynamic, despite having the same amount of drivers. It could be the tuning.

Regarding 2020 vs. OG v3, overall, I'd say the 2020 is easier to recommend because of overall improvements in presentation and cleanliness in the notes. It also has better separation and a more focused presentation. However, the OG has a sweeter tonality, an endless soundstage, a treble spike which is beautiful if you're a big fan of the thicker lower-mids / upper treble (sparkle) contrast which is quite unique and special as I haven't heard a better IEM doing what it does aside from the U12T.

My favourite IEM still :)
Thanks for your impressions and comparisons. Hearing that the MW10 is the best Andro of all makes me more excited to get mine. :)

Aug 8, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #8,930 of 9,829
I prefer the silver copy hybrid for Andros.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #8,931 of 9,829
I prefer OCC silver for Andro.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #8,933 of 9,829
Spending more time w/ the 2020, some thoughts:

I find these as pretty good all-arounders, especially for someone who likes a more musical + easy-going sound signature (which basically Andromeda has always been). However, I find they also improved on the technical side a little too. It has better transients which gives it more "bite" in each note. The treble peak (sparkle) is gone, but I find like the presentation became more focused as a result so imaging is a little better. The midrange is also a little lifted and combined with the lower-mids reduction, there's more space between notes in general because of slightly less bloat. Soundstage is above average (but does not have an endless width like the OG).

Oddly, I find it slightly more difficult to drive (I have increase volume by a few decibels) to get the proper sound out of them. You'd think w/ the same impedance and overall specs that it would use the same volume out of the same DAP (my 1A) but this is not the case. I suspect Solaris 2020 vs. Solaris OG may have the same findings. Might have something to do w/ the ceramic chamber or some other update.

I think overall, these are an easy rec for anyone looking in the $1000-2000 and are very good value. However, those looking for bass slam should probably look elsewhere, such as the Legend X, Z1R or equivalents. Andromedas have never been about the bass, but a highly coherent IEM with a massive soundstage, good treble extension with solid separation and imaging. It also walks the line of not being too sterile and boring (looking at VX and KSE here), and sounding very musical + sounding great with any genre.

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #8,934 of 9,829
Spending more time w/ the 2020, some thoughts:

I find these as pretty good all-arounders, especially for someone who likes a more musical + easy-going sound signature (which basically Andromeda has always been). However, I find they also improved on the technical side a little too. It has better transients which gives it more "bite" in each note. The treble peak (sparkle) is gone, but I find like the presentation became more focused as a result so imaging is a little better. The midrange is also a little lifted and combined with the lower-mids reduction, there's more space between notes in general because of slightly less bloat. Soundstage is above average (but does not have an endless width like the OG).

Oddly, I find it slightly more difficult to drive (I have increase volume by a few decibels) to get the proper sound out of them. You'd think w/ the same impedance and overall specs that it would use the same volume out of the same DAP (my 1A) but this is not the case. I suspect Solaris 2020 vs. Solaris OG may have the same findings. Might have something to do w/ the ceramic chamber or some other update.

I think overall, these are an easy rec for anyone looking in the $1000-2000 and are very good value. However, those looking for bass slam should probably look elsewhere, such as the Legend X, Z1R or equivalents. Andromedas have never been about the bass, but a highly coherent IEM with a massive soundstage, good treble extension with solid separation and imaging. It also walks the line of not being too sterile and boring (looking at VX and KSE here), and sounding very musical + sounding great with any genre.
What IEMs in same class will be more bassy against andromeda green v3/2020?

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #8,935 of 9,829
What IEMs in same class will be more bassy against andromeda green v3/2020?

If you're limiting yourself to all BA IEMs then possibly the IER M9 or u12t.

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #8,936 of 9,829
Aug 9, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #8,938 of 9,829
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #8,939 of 9,829
I should finally for real have these tomorrow (unless Canada Post drops the ball again) and I'm disproportionately excited about it...incidentally I haven't had any IEMs on hand since last Tuesday...which is the longest I've gone without any IEMs on hand in at least a couple years...all of which is contributing to my anticipation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back