Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 2, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #8,911 of 9,829
So I just bought a used 2020 Andro...should have it by Friday. Looking forward to finally being a part of this lofty club, getting to spend some real time with an Andromeda and having a real head-head with my Solaris SE.
There's no escape!

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #8,913 of 9,829
Finally ordered a used pair of the elusive Andromeda MW10s from e-earphone (for 122K yen). As a past owner of the OG Andros I can't wait to see what this special edition brings to the table!

I I love the look of the MW10...probably more than any otherIEM on the market. Impressions seem to suggest that whatever sonic improvements went into the MW10 also went into the 2020. I would love to have this confirmed or refuted by someone who has experience with both.

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #8,914 of 9,829
I I love the look of the MW10...probably more than any otherIEM on the market. Impressions seem to suggest that whatever sonic improvements went into the MW10 also went into the 2020. I would love to have this confirmed or refuted by someone who has experience with both.

Me and Colors had a conversation about this, it seems our impressions of OG vs MW10 and OG vs 2020 are almost identical, which leads me to believe the MW10 had a significant role in tuning the 2020, but again I hope we can hear the impressions of someone who has access to both!

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #8,915 of 9,829
I agree on the looks, most beautiful IEM I've seen and a huge factor in my purchase decision. I believe @audio123 has both the MW10 and 2020, so he should be able to chime in on the similarities and differences.

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #8,916 of 9,829
I may have a 2020 soon as well so I can post impressions when I can compare.

MW10 is incredible though. Having listened to many TOTLs, I’d say they’re right up there with the top dogs tonality and technicalities wise. The imaging, separation and dynamics are noticeably above the OG, but the OG does have a wider stage + an easy going tonality.

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #8,917 of 9,829
The MW10 is the best Andromeda to date. Comparing to the 2020, it is more transparent with greater dynamics.

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #8,918 of 9,829
This is all very interesting and I can't wait to hear my 2020 Andro in a couple days. Based on some impressions I've read it sounds like some of the non-FR related tweaks and improvements in Andro have also made their way into the SE & 2020 versions of Solaris.

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #8,919 of 9,829
This is all very interesting and I can't wait to hear my 2020 Andro in a couple days. Based on some impressions I've read it sounds like some of the non-FR related tweaks and improvements in Andro have also made their way into the SE & 2020 versions of Solaris.
I think you will be impressed by it.

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #8,920 of 9,829
I think you will be impressed by it.

Yeah I can't wait. The first time I heard an Andromeda was the same day I heard OG Solaris for the first time...and the Andromeda didn't stand a chance for me after that. Still, I've always kind of nursed the desire to spend some time with one as many people I respect in this hobby deeply revere it...it will be nice to finally get some in depth impressions and a real sense of it for myself. I had a couple chances to get an MW10 but they were too much of a financial commitment...the 2020 at the very least seems "close enough" that if it winds up being a keeper I may just take the plunge and go after an MW10 because man oh man do I love how it looks.

Aug 7, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #8,922 of 9,829
Out for delivery...I should have my Andro 2020 this morning...can't wait...new gear; yay!

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #8,923 of 9,829
I just got mines today!:

2.jpg
3.jpg
B03693F9-2E37-4804-AA0A-5F0AD7D0B29F.jpeg

I've own(ed) the v2, v3, AndroS, Andro Gold, MW10 in the past and here are my impressions as I play through my usual test playlist:

Andro 2020
- compared to OG, lower-mids reduced a tad, some pinna gain comp, treble smoother, sparkle gone
- cleaner presentation
- better separation
- more definition in notes overall
- no more treble spike "the sparkle"
- smaller soundstage

Andro OG v3
- widest soundstage
- "wall of sound" presentation
- sparkle bc of the peak
- less focused presentation
- "sweetest" tonality
- best for orchestra because of the depth + width of the presentation

MW10
- compared to OG, lifted upper mids, treble sparkle still there, sub-bass lifted, mid-bass reduced a tad
- the most dynamic of all the Andros
- sharpest definition
- best and most accurate vocals, especially female
- best and most defined sub-bass (and qty)
- very, very good separation and space between notes
- best layering

AndroS
- compared to OG, sub-bass reduced a bit, mids lifted a tad and treble (sparkle) presence reduced a tad
- easiest one to blind rec because it does everything well but nothing the best

Andro Gold
- most aggressive V-shape of all the Andros
- compared to OG, lifted upper mids, reduced lower mids, bumped mid-bass, less treble extension
- bassiest of all the Andros (mid-bass), but MW10 has better sub-bass
- nicest timbre
- easiest to listen to and chill with

For my personal preferences, I'd rank MW10 > OG v3 = 2020 > AndroS = AG. But ya, I personally find MW10 a cut above the rest, can hang w/ the top tier stuff like U12T, Z1R, VX, etc. It easily has the most definition and dynamics, despite having the same amount of drivers. It could be the tuning.

Regarding 2020 vs. OG v3, overall, I'd say the 2020 is easier to recommend because of overall improvements in presentation and cleanliness in the notes. It also has better separation and a more focused presentation. However, the OG has a sweeter tonality, an endless soundstage, a treble spike which is beautiful if you're a big fan of the thicker lower-mids / upper treble (sparkle) contrast which is quite unique and special as I haven't heard a better IEM doing what it does aside from the U12T.

Andromedas are my favourite IEM still :)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #8,925 of 9,829
I just got mines today!:

2.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg

I've own(ed) the v2, v3, AndroS, Andro Gold, MW10 in the past and here are my impressions as I play through my usual test playlist:

Andro 2020
- compared to OG, lower-mids reduced a tad, some pinna gain comp, treble smoother, sparkle gone
- cleaner presentation
- better separation
- more definition in notes overall
- no more treble spike "the sparkle"
- smaller soundstage

Andro OG v3
- widest soundstage
- "wall of sound" presentation
- sparkle bc of the peak
- less focused presentation
- "sweetest" tonality
- best for orchestra because of the depth + width of the presentation

MW10
- compared to OG, lifted upper mids, treble sparkle still there, sub-bass lifted, mid-bass reduced a tad
- the most dynamic of all the Andros
- sharpest definition
- best and most accurate vocals, especially female
- best and most defined sub-bass (and qty)
- very, very good separation and space between notes
- best layering

AndroS
- compared to OG, sub-bass reduced a bit, mids lifted a tad and treble (sparkle) presence reduced a tad
- easiest one to blind rec because it does everything well but nothing the best

Andro Gold
- most aggressive V-shape of all the Andros
- compared to OG, lifted upper mids, reduced lower mids, bumped mid-bass, less treble extension
- bassiest of all the Andros (mid-bass), but MW10 has better sub-bass
- nicest timbre
- easiest to listen to and chill with

For my personal preferences, I'd rank MW10 > OG v3 = 2020 > AndroS = AG. But ya, I personally find MW10 a cut above the rest, can hang w/ the top tier stuff like U12T, Z1R, VX, etc. It easiest has the most definition and dynamic, despite having the same amount of drivers. It could be the tuning.

Regarding 2020 vs. OG v3, overall, I'd say the 2020 is easier to recommend because of overall improvements in presentation and cleanliness in the notes. It also has better separation and a more focused presentation. However, the OG has a sweeter tonality, an endless soundstage, a treble spike which is beautiful if you're a big fan of the thicker lower-mids / upper treble (sparkle) contrast which is quite unique and special as I haven't heard a better IEM doing what it does aside from the U12T.

My favourite IEM still :)

Man...Canada Post let me down today and I still don't have mine...tomorrow possibly but otherwise Monday. Thank-you for that detailed and interesting write up. It just made me more excited to get mine. The OG Andro already more than holds its own with the likes of the Z1R, VX and u12t...looking forward to hearing for myself what the 2020 can do. Alas the MW10 will remain a pipe dream for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back