Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 16, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #8,956 of 9,829
The Andromeda 2020 has replaced the u12t for me as the easiest rec for most people-- it's just as accessible (I got in trouble for this word on reddit) but way more enjoyable. I think some people over play the technical chops of the u12t-- it's a great IEM no doubt but it's far from the end-all/be-all and there are much better options out there for people whose main aim is to enjoy their music. I went back and forth with the Solaris and u12t for many hours a few months ago and the Solaris more than held its own technically even though it lacks a bit of the resolution and detail. The Andromeda is probably the most instantly accessible and likeable IEM I've come across-- it swept me up last week and hasn't let go since. One thing that stands out in particular for me is that I find myself singing along with Andromeda more than with any other IEM I've heard.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #8,957 of 9,829
I did a quick video review today. I'll do a write-up in the coming days:

also if this is useful....

Campfire Andromeda 2020.png

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #8,958 of 9,829
The Andromeda 2020 has replaced the u12t for me as the easiest rec for most people-- it's just as accessible (I got in trouble for this word on reddit) but way more enjoyable. I think some people over play the technical chops of the u12t-- it's a great IEM no doubt but it's far from the end-all/be-all and there are much better options out there for people whose main aim is to enjoy their music. I went back and forth with the Solaris and u12t for many hours a few months ago and the Solaris more than held its own technically even though it lacks a bit of the resolution and detail. The Andromeda is probably the most instantly accessible and likeable IEM I've come across-- it swept me up last week and hasn't let go since. One thing that stands out in particular for me is that I find myself singing along with Andromeda more than with any other IEM I've heard.

The 2020 is an easy rec at $1099. Very versatile and incredible value at that price point. I'd also look into a Viento as well (the B version is pretty good!).

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #8,959 of 9,829
The 2020 is an easy rec at $1099. Very versatile and incredible value at that price point.

It's an absolute no-brainer at its price point. I'm not aware of anything under 3K US that constitutes an across-the-board upgrade to the Andromeda (or the Solaris for that matter).

I'd also look into a Viento as well (the B version is pretty good!).

Yeah honestly based on its longevity and reputation the Viento is probably the only real peer of the Andromeda out there right now. If it wasn't such an ordeal to get them in North America I probably would have taken the plunge on one just out of curiosity.

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #8,960 of 9,829
It's an absolute no-brainer at its price point. I'm not aware of anything under 3K US that constitutes an across-the-board upgrade to the Andromeda (or the Solaris for that matter).

Yeah honestly based on its longevity and reputation the Viento is probably the only real peer of the Andromeda out there right now. If it wasn't such an ordeal to get them in North America I probably would have taken the plunge on one just out of curiosity.

I’d say the 2020 is a better all arounder but if you like the Etymotic kind of sound (forward vocals, elevated mid and upper treble and also a boosted sub-bass), it’s different worth a try. Flavour IEM for sure and I enjoy mine quite a bit.

Btw, an interesting experiment today. Gave my sis my U12T, Andro MW10, Andro OG and Viento-B to see which one she liked the best and interestingly enough she chose this order preference:

MW10 > OG >> Viento-B > U12T

I don’t think I’ve met a casual listener who has disliked the Andromedas. Shown mine to over 10 people (non-audiophiles) and literally each one loved it and preferred over other IEMs I had (ex: Sony M9). They always say stuff like “I’ve never heard details like this in my tracks before” or “wow this feels like I’m in the room”. It’s curious because other IEMs I‘ve had are actually more reference sounding and you get more transparency and detail out of them...but there’s just something about the Andro’s tuning that gets your non-audiophile consumer.

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #8,961 of 9,829
P1040496.JPG

I posted a lengthy review with a few IEM comparisons: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2020/08/campfire-andromeda-2020-written-review.html

I'll just post the wrap-up tl;dr here:

I've said a lot of good positive things about the Campfire Andromeda 2020 and that actually would have surprised me coming into this. I was not a big fan of the original version, but did appreciate it for what it was. This model came in and really took me away. I am impressed most by it's technical performance in the area of layering of instruments, dynamics and imaging. The tonality has changed for the better and sounds much more inline with my target preferences, and I found the new fit to be much more easy to wear and extremely comfortable.

To top all of that up, the standard unboxing and accessories that Campfire has been known for is left untouched and still one of the better packages available today.

My only main area I found lacking was it did not have an elevated deep sub-bass which does make it lack a little bit of rumble and the shakes, and the bigger concern of source matching. The impedance shifts on the Andromeda 2020 are very much the same as the original one, however in this case, I prefer a lower impedance than a higher one.

All in all, the Campfire team did a wonderful job on this updated model to their classic Andromeda. This one comes highly recommended.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #8,962 of 9,829
Between the Sony WM1A and the ZX300, which one is the better choice as a dap for the Andromeda? I'll be using the 3.5mm headphone out.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #8,963 of 9,829
Andromeda's respond to higher or lower output impedence. You should try them with a number of sources and make out what your preferences are. Some people like them better out of something with OI as close as to 0 as possible some like them out of something with a OI a bit higher. On my IEM match i like them better on the high sensitivity setting (OI 2.5) instead of ultra wich is closer to 1.

They sound absolutely awesome through IEM match on high out of my ZDT jr. Who would have known.

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #8,964 of 9,829
Between the Sony WM1A and the ZX300, which one is the better choice as a dap for the Andromeda? I'll be using the 3.5mm headphone out.

Having owned both, 1A outclasses ZX300 by a noticeable margin compared to 1A and 1Z. 1A sound is more neutral and has better macro dynamics than ZX300 which is warmer and I find less detailed.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #8,965 of 9,829
Having owned both, 1A outclasses ZX300 by a noticeable margin compared to 1A and 1Z. 1A sound is more neutral and has better macro dynamics than ZX300 which is warmer and I find less detailed.

That aside, the ZX300 + Andro pair very well together imo.

Edit: That's through balanced, SE on ZX300 isn't so good.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #8,966 of 9,829
That aside, the ZX300 + Andro pair very well together imo.

Yep, it’s still a very good pairing compared to the other DAPs. I just find 1A is a step above. I would really try to use 4.4mm for both though if you have a chance.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #8,967 of 9,829
each one loved it and preferred over other IEMs I had (ex: Sony M9).

Well the Sony M9 in particular, according to many I've talked to, is as dull as paint drying (a significant number of the people I know who had it got rid of it after a short time). Were it not for Sony fanboyism I don't think it would be talked about nearly as much as it is. Further, it sounds like the u12t is a much better option if you're after that sort of signature.

there’s just something about the Andro’s tuning that gets your non-audiophile consumer.

And your audiophiles as well (I know many in this hobby who would rank them similarly, myself included)-- after all it is the audiophile community and not plebs who have elevated these IEMs to legendary status. That said if I, knowing nothing else about a person and their preferences, had to select an IEM for someone the Andromeda would be my first choice by a long shot. It strikes a nice balance between technicality and musicality so as that neither is sacrificed for the other.

My only main area I found lacking was it did not have an elevated deep sub-bass which does make it lack a little bit of rumble and the shakes, and the bigger concern of source matching.

If you look at the bass on its own it's easy to find it a bit lacking however in the context of the signature as a whole-- in particular the more engaging mid-range-- I find it works and doesn't leave me craving more. I do miss the DD slam sometimes though, which is perhaps the same complaint.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #8,968 of 9,829
My only main area I found lacking was it did not have an elevated deep sub-bass which does make it lack a little bit of rumble and the shakes, and the bigger concern of source matching. The impedance shifts on the Andromeda 2020 are very much the same as the original one, however in this case, I prefer a lower impedance than a higher one.

Thanks for the write-up and great review BTW. The elevated deep sub-bass is a combination of cables (subtle effect) and DAP (significant effect ; not just output impedance, but more importantly current swing at very low voltages required by Andromeda to have that elevated deep rumble without sounding bloomy and unrefined). With the SP2000 Cu and Cleopatra Octa cable, the sub-bass reaches very close to U12T's bass performance and definitely way deeper and cleaner than any 2 bass BA driver setup I've ever heard. Chord Mojo also offers that deep rumble but not as clean, fast and precise as the SP2000 Cu DAP.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #8,969 of 9,829
more importantly current swing at very low voltages required by Andromeda to have that elevated deep rumble
Thank you, that's very helpful information. I've found the Andromeda 2020's tonality to be less significantly affected by output impedance than I'd expected (e.g. AK Jr. vs.Schiit Magni, Fulla 2, and iPhone 7 with dongle).

Would current swing at low voltages also account for differences in macro-dynamics? I'm fond of the AK Jr's sound but it is soft, the Andro 2020 lacks punch with it (compared to the Schiit gear).

Would you happen to know if the Sony DAPs, like the ZX 300 and the 507, as well as the AK SR25, would be decent pairings with the Andro 2020 when it comes to sub-bass and slam?

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #8,970 of 9,829
Would current swing at low voltages also account for differences in macro-dynamics? I'm fond of the AK Jr's sound but it is soft, the Andro 2020 lacks punch with it (compared to the Schiit gear).

IMO, output impedance is equally responsible for the macro-dynamics as current swing when the output impedance is > 2 ohm. For less than 2 ohms OI, I'd say the current swing is slightly more of a factor to determine that bass slam, extension and definition/resolution (micro-dynamics) out of the Andromeda. What current swing provides aside from the macro-dynamics is micro-dynamics where overtones in the subbass region are much more fleshed out, weightier and less fuzzy or tinny sounding (The Apple Dongle with <1 ohm sounds tinny in the bass region despite the <1 ohm output impedance).

Would you happen to know if the Sony DAPs, like the ZX 300 and the 507, as well as the AK SR25, would be decent pairings with the Andro 2020 when it comes to sub-bass and slam?

I would be wary of the Sony DAPs when it comes to hissing as the AK DAPs are normally less sensitive to noise out of the Andromeda. AK SR25 would be considered the "brightest" sounding DAP in the treble region out of the current AK DAP lineup (including the SP2000, SP1000 and SE100). Since the 2020 is a bit more tamed in the treble than the V2 Andromeda, the SR25/Andromeda 2020 pairing might be good as it may bring out the edge in the treble and the Andromeda V2 might be a bit sizzling with that pairing. Sony DAPs are generally warmer sounding than AK DAPs (except for the WM1A with Andromeda V2 which I find a really good pairing with excellent bass response except for the hissing during quiet room listening session).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back