Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jan 16, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #6,586 of 9,829
I recently purchased some Andros and trying to nail down a good dac/amp combo for a desktop setup. I have the LG G7 for on the go, but I'd like a nice setup for when I'm at work and for when I use the Argon MK3.

Currently looking at some of the JDS Labs stuff (Element, El Stack, Atom/El Dac) as well as the iFi Micro Black Label. As stated above, I will also be acquiring the Argon MK3, so power is definitely needed.

I understand that power and Andromeda don't usually go well together, but curious if anyone has recommendations on a setup.

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #6,588 of 9,829
I just received my andromedas yesterday and can say it sounds very much like the jupiters.I have not noticed any improvement in the sound vs the jupiters yet.Perhaps more tip rolling and or source experimentation is necessary.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #6,590 of 9,829
I wonder which is the best output impedance for Andromeda sounds at best.

What do you think?
Anywhere between 1 and 2.5 ohms i believe.I have an ieMAtch with mine and i noticed the signature goes from warm to not so warm when adjusting it's settings.Anyways i found the right tips and now i noticed a big improvement in sound vs the jupiters.Bigger soundstage with better detail and no brightness.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #6,591 of 9,829
Anywhere between 1 and 2.5 ohms i believe.I have an ieMAtch with mine and i noticed the signature goes from warm to not so warm when adjusting it's settings.

I have it too.

It is a difference between night (without) and day (with) when I use it with the iPhone, PC, HD Sonata Cable or NextDrive. Between "high" and "ultra" I prefer definitely "high" because "ultra" is too bassy.

But it is really so that the IEMatch does not affect the sound quality?

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #6,592 of 9,829
I have it too.

It is a difference between night (without) and day (with) when I use it with the iPhone, PC, HD Sonata Cable or NextDrive. Between "high" and "ultra" I prefer definitely "high" because "ultra" is too bassy.

But it is really so that the IEMatch does not affect the sound quality?[
Only a bit imo.Warm to less warm depending on your settings preference.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #6,594 of 9,829
I now read some reviews on the IEMatch. Some say that the sound quality is not affected, and other say the contrary …
Andro low frequency drivers have 4 ohm impedance. Is there any dac/amp which can handle iem with 4 ohm impedance? I haven't seen. IEMatch normalizes amp load to 16(ultra)/13.3(high) ohm, and allows you to select a source not based on noise and output impedance.
There is only one scenario where iematch can spoil the sound. If someone have definitely dark dac/amp, with big output impedance. Rolled off treble will have good synergy with big oi, but when iematch will be connected to the chain, it will reveal the true dark nature of amp, by making sound less clear, and more boomy and dark.

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #6,595 of 9,829
Andro low frequency drivers have 4 ohm impedance. Is there any dac/amp which can handle iem with 4 ohm impedance? I haven't seen. IEMatch normalizes amp load to 16(ultra)/13.3(high) ohm, and allows you to select a source not based on noise and output impedance.
There is only one scenario where iematch can spoil the sound. If someone have definitely dark dac/amp, with big output impedance. Rolled off treble will have good synergy with big oi, but when iematch will be connected to the chain, it will reveal the true dark nature of amp, by making sound less clear, and more boomy and dark.

Thank you for this reply.

This means that for example with the iPhone (which should be not dark and should have a relative low output impedance) and the IEMatch the sound quality is not affected at all, right?

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #6,596 of 9,829
Thank you for this reply.

This means that for example with the iPhone (which should be not dark and should have a relative low output impedance) and the IEMatch the sound quality is not affected at all, right?
Everything affects sound quality. The questions are:
1. Can you hear it?
2. Is it for the better or worse?

For me, sticking an IEMatch to my Galaxy S8 had almost no effect (at least no positive effect), but engaging the IEMatch setting to High on the iDSD Micro BL improved the sound by a lot: more expansive, clearer, punchier. So don't overthink it. Try it out if you can and make up your own mind. (comments apply to Andromeda, Green and -S)

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #6,597 of 9,829
Everything affects sound quality. The questions are:
1. Can you hear it?
2. Is it for the better or worse?

For me, sticking an IEMatch to my Galaxy S8 had almost no effect (at least no positive effect), but engaging the IEMatch setting to High on the iDSD Micro BL improved the sound by a lot: more expansive, clearer, punchier. So don't overthink it. Try it out if you can and make up your own mind. (comments apply to Andromeda, Green and -S)

Don't know... the iPhone, and not only, sounds for me much better with the IEMatch.

It is just that I would like to know that I can ear pure, namely not negatively affected sound (through, for example, split of frequencies) if I use the IEMatch.

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #6,598 of 9,829
Don't know... the iPhone, and not only, sounds for me much better with the IEMatch.

It is just that I would like to know that I can ear pure, namely not negatively affected sound (through, for example, split of frequencies) if I use the IEMatch.
The IEMatch is a simple device. It will not play tricks on you. If you like how it sounds, then you like how it sounds.

PS: There is no such thing as pure. Pure would mean:
1. Record a live performance with an ideal binaural microphone setup
2. Playback the recording using the equipment you want to evaluate for purity and record it again using the same ideal binaural microphone setup
3. Compare the two recordings to test is they are identical; if they are, then you're listening to pure music

I'm sure these are all things you know already, I'm just trying to help with the madness, because I've been there before myself.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #6,600 of 9,829
With iematch I did not notice a negative impact on my sabre chip dacs. I did notice a negative difference with Mojo. Took it from dark to too dark. I love my Mojo but not with my Andro S.

Andro S with ifi nano idsd black label directly out of iematch works really well.

I take it the andro works well with idsd micro black label? Any inbalance on low volume with andro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back