Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Nov 24, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #6,286 of 9,829
E6DN2yw.jpg

4 ohm on bass, ~12 mid, and 12-30 on highs.

Ah yeah, 12.8 ohm impedance is at 1 khz according to CA's website.

So 4 ohm for bass should mean than anything with a Zout < 0.5 ohm should be fine (= not have an effect), while 1 to 3 ohm will have an effect (not being 1/8 of 4 ohm). Apparently, a good effect :) . Things with a Zout > 3 will also have an effect, as expected, and as expected it will be not good (=very different from what the guys at CA intended).

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #6,287 of 9,829
So 4 ohm for bass should mean than anything with a Zout < 0.5 ohm should be fine (= not have an effect), while 1 to 3 ohm will have an effect (not being 1/8 of 4 ohm).

at Zout < 0.5, bass region sounds bloated and slow to me. 1.7 ohms is the optimum Zout for my ears

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #6,290 of 9,829
Well, i`ve been using Andros for a year already and ended it by pairing them with Mojom which suites to hard genres Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal better than what i tried.
Andros sound juicy, still I`ve been using Beyers 770 for 9 years (and using them currently) and got addicted to that trebble perk sound. It sounds just right for music i like. Andro tend to give a bump at high bass and low mids, when you listen to Judas Priest The sentinel for example, on Beyers you hear the vocal and the guitar riffs on the firct place, on Andros you hear drums and bass as well. It`s good, but at some tracks the lows seem to overhelm and prevail on the midrange.
I tried to decrease this issue with bass by checking out different cables from Ibasso (CB13, CB14) and native Reference 8 by Alo guys. Ibasso lost the compasrison to standard Litz i currently have, on the other hand Reference 8 was controversal one. The width and depth of a soundstage were noticable better than in a stock Litz, Highs were stonger just like mids. The thing that stopped me from giving money for it was recessed mids which made listening to heavy genres unbearable as you can`t hear guitars good enough as drums and bass do prevail and distruct.
I`d love to have the Beyers sound in IEM shape, but i haven`t yet faced something by so far. Maybe there`s some magic cable or Dac, that kills these lows or am i searching in a wrong way and should try to get different IEMs for metal? I listined to Westone and Shure top models (not a kse 1500) and they didn`t seem to be that bassy, but the rest was just worse than in Andros - depth/width of the soundstage, highs and the detail resolution.
Could you guys shed me some light in this cituation? As the music matters a lot to me, at least it`s one of the things in a live that always inspires to keep on moving forward.

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #6,291 of 9,829
You're pairing the Andromeda with Mojo = worst pairing for me as it destroys the tonality magic the Andromeda is known for which are airy highs, forward mids/upper mids with guitar riffs presented in a very pleasing manner, upper bass and midbass that does not sound too thick or thin while extending deep into subbass region. Mojo sucks the life out of Andromeda in the mids as well as treble extension to my ears.

Nov 24, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #6,292 of 9,829
It's been a good day folks, got my B-stock Andromeda S in today from the Black Friday sale! I sold my green Andromeda a few months ago and the B-stock Atlas deal was tempting, but I missed the Andro magic too much and went with the S because fomo :) .

For any who are on the fence about B-stock, I've found two cosmetic defects on my set. First, my left earpiece has a long hairline scratch on the outer face that's only really visible when it catches the light. I couldn't find any other defects on either of the shells, but the cable I got also looks like it has a tiny spot of rust on the memory wire on the left side. I'm not particularly bothered by either of the imperfections but that's obviously down to individual preferences, so figured this information may be useful to potential buyers.

Since I really enjoyed the original Andromeda, as expected I've loved my brief time with the S edition so far. My impressions compared to the original Andromeda are similar to what others have posted so I'll be concise. Please keep in mind that I last heard the original Andromeda a couple of months ago (had them for almost 2 years), and that I think that both are more similar than different. The mids on the Andro S are definitely bumped up relative to the OG Andromeda; vocals are a good bit more forward and really nicely textured - this difference immediately stood out to me. I personally think the treble is close to, if not just as, "sparkly" on the S as the original but it commands less attention due to the midrange emphasis. I feel like I hear a little more mid-bass too, but I can't say for sure without A/Bing. The other "big" difference I noticed is that the percieved soundstage on the S was smaller than what I remember with the original - the detail and imaging is all there on the S, but it does seem to lose a little of the holographic, spacious presentation of the original Andromeda. Overall, I think the S has a more relaxed and intimate presentation, which is just a cool take on the original signature. It's early days for me with the S, but I think I'd be happy with either.

Just wanted to share since I'm excited to be an Andromeda owner again, hope this helps!

Nov 25, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #6,293 of 9,829
No problemo, thanks for sharing. But before you splurge a lot of dough on all sorts of accessories, keep in mind that the Andromeda are really sensitive to output impedance of the source and will sound:
- Zout < 1 Ohm: very bassy and congested
- 1 < Zout < 3: various levels of "just right" (depending on your personal preferences)
- Zout > 3 Ohm: very thin and trebly

And of course, as you already noted, a good seal and fit should be your number 1 concern.

Enjoy the AndroS!

Thank you! They're already starting to sound better today so I'm enjoying it the more I use it for sure!

I don't think I'll use anything but my iPhone 6 for quite a while. It's a big plus that I don't have to get anything else haha. It doesn't sound so good with the Macbook Pro though I gotta say.

So the cable's actually kind of my last purchase until hopefully a year after or so, unless I don't happen to like them when they arrive. There was one review that said the Penon GS849 cable made their andromeda sound very dry, but I got the S version so I'm hoping it'll be different. Plus, different source and ear tips as well!

I do hope I will like them, but it's pretty easy to eff up when I can't listen to any of these in person. ): I'll definitely post here about it when I get them though just so people can use it for info.

Amazed they didn't all tear, Just Googled them, you weren't kidding when you describe them as 'super narrow' :)

Also, my Andromeda Greens sound superb out of an AK70 Mkii using Balanced cable (apparently that's 3 ohm)

Yeah, haha! Actually, the only reason why the other one tore was because I effed up when I was stretching them with a pair of tiny scissors. They were thin enough to fit in and I opened them while it was still inside, lol. XD;

If I wasn't rushing/being impatient with the 2nd piece, I don't think any of them would've gotten torn actually!

Ooh thank you! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'll be using an iPhone 6 for a while, so for now it'll be on my list for when I'm ready to get a replacement/upgrade!

It's been a good day folks, got my B-stock Andromeda S in today from the Black Friday sale! I sold my green Andromeda a few months ago and the B-stock Atlas deal was tempting, but I missed the Andro magic too much and went with the S because fomo :) .

Congratulations! I just got my B-stock Andromeda S as well! I was not able to listen to the original ones but it's nice to know that both are great! I sometimes wonder if I was better off getting the original, but seeing all these comments about them not being better than the other is definitely reassuring!

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #6,294 of 9,829
You're pairing the Andromeda with Mojo = worst pairing for me as it destroys the tonality magic the Andromeda is known for which are airy highs, forward mids/upper mids with guitar riffs presented in a very pleasing manner, upper bass and midbass that does not sound too thick or thin while extending deep into subbass region. Mojo sucks the life out of Andromeda in the mids as well as treble extension to my ears.
I`ve got that. Before buying Mojo i listened to ibasso DX 200, Lotoo Paw and even AK Ultima, the sound veried on them but Mojo seemed to produce the better sound signiture for heavy music.
Anyway, could you advise me which one should i check out instead of Mojo? There`re lots of Players in a store that`s not far from me.

Nov 25, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #6,295 of 9,829
I don't think I'll use anything but my iPhone 6 for quite a while. It's a big plus that I don't have to get anything else haha. It doesn't sound so good with the Macbook Pro though I gotta say.

I thought the iPhone 6 worked pretty well with my Andromeda - a little bright due to the higher Z-out, but it's nice having a source to just plug into with no hiss (I like to minimize what I carry around with me). I invested in an iEMatch and found that I most preferred the 2.5ohm Z-out setting. At it's relatively low cost, I think it's a nice investment to explore different Z-outs for the Andromeda as well as help with other sources (like your laptop - it did with mine).

Nov 25, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #6,296 of 9,829
Need help on deciding whether or not to buy the Andromeda S, B stock. I'm trying to buy an ideal IEM replacement of my Focal Elegia (or Clear). Does anyone know how it compares? I've read these have more forward vocals and sound more balanced than the original green Andromeda, which seem to match what I'm looking for.

I'll be using the DX200 AMP8 as my source. Does the bass emphasize too much since these are low impedance?

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #6,297 of 9,829
I`ve got that. Before buying Mojo i listened to ibasso DX 200, Lotoo Paw and even AK Ultima, the sound veried on them but Mojo seemed to produce the better sound signiture for heavy music.
Anyway, could you advise me which one should i check out instead of Mojo? There`re lots of Players in a store that`s not far from me.

I would just trust your ears instead of relying on other's choice. Each of us have our own preferred signature and you should demo as much as you can to get the sound that you want. If you like the way the Andromeda sounds with Mojo then you should stick with it. It's just I prefer the slightly leaner sounding iPod Touch 6S though.

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #6,298 of 9,829
I thought the iPhone 6 worked pretty well with my Andromeda - a little bright due to the higher Z-out, but it's nice having a source to just plug into with no hiss (I like to minimize what I carry around with me). I invested in an iEMatch and found that I most preferred the 2.5ohm Z-out setting. At it's relatively low cost, I think it's a nice investment to explore different Z-outs for the Andromeda as well as help with other sources (like your laptop - it did with mine).

Yes, I'm quite happy that there's definitely no hissing with the iPhone 6. There is also no hissing when I plugged it in my Macbook Pro either, only problem is it sounds kinda muddy in comparison. It's so much clearer with the iPhone 6. I should look into getting an iEMatch as well one of these days and see if it'll improve how it'd sound with the laptop.

---

On another note, my cable just shipped but with the ongoing CanadaPost strike, I really hope it won't take too long to get to me. :'(

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #6,299 of 9,829
Random showoff pic.
20181126_125638.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #6,300 of 9,829
Yes, I'm quite happy that there's definitely no hissing with the iPhone 6. There is also no hissing when I plugged it in my Macbook Pro either, only problem is it sounds kinda muddy in comparison. It's so much clearer with the iPhone 6. I should look into getting an iEMatch as well one of these days and see if it'll improve how it'd sound with the laptop.

---

On another note, my cable just shipped but with the ongoing CanadaPost strike, I really hope it won't take too long to get to me. :'(
I'm curious which MacBook pro are you using, because my MacBook pro 2015 is hissing all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back