Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Nov 26, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #6,301 of 9,829
I'm curious which MacBook pro are you using, because my MacBook pro 2015 is hissing all the time.

Oh that's odd... I purchased it in (mid or thereabouts of) 2015. I wonder if they used different parts depending if you got more add-ons? Or perhaps maybe from when it was purchased? Since I just read that they had it for sale at the apple store until around mid of this year.

I have the 15-inch one. I took a screenshot here : https://i.gyazo.com/b6799bc20c8d8e513ea451a63b1f7b39.png

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #6,303 of 9,829
I am using the Andromedas for almost a year now and still generally love them, though, I realized a (very) few aspects in sound that I actually don`t like so much.

Maybe it is just my personal hearing, but does anybody else thinks the transition between upper bass and lower mids sounds slightly muddy?

While instrument separation in the highs is superduper clean, to me it sounds like there is even a little masking effect in the 250 Hz area. At least if I EQ this area down a little, it sounds definitely cleaner to me and more like I am used to with other earphones in this price class. But maybe it is even wanted by CA to smoothen the transition between bass and mids and let it sound fuller and more coherent, I am not sure...
To me it sounds a little distracting though...
Anybody else hearing this?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #6,304 of 9,829
I am using the Andromedas for almost a year now and still generally love them, though, I realized a (very) few aspects in sound that I actually don`t like so much.

Maybe it is just my personal hearing, but does anybody else thinks the transition between upper bass and lower mids sounds slightly muddy?

While instrument separation in the highs is superduper clean, to me it sounds like there is even a little masking effect in the 250 Hz area. At least if I EQ this area down a little, it sounds definitely cleaner to me and more like I am used to with other earphones in this price class. But maybe it is even wanted by CA to smoothen the transition between bass and mids and let it sound fuller and more coherent, I am not sure...
To me it sounds a little distracting though...
Anybody else hearing this?
Andro is known to have a warm signature with near 0 output impedance source/amp. This is why there were discussions on this. You give it about 3 ohms of impedance, the warmth subsides.

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #6,305 of 9,829
Andro is known to have a warm signature with near 0 output impedance source/amp. This is why there were discussions on this. You give it about 3 ohms of impedance, the warmth subsides.

Hi!

Yes, I read quite a bit about it...you could be right since I never tried it with more ohms. But I also heard bass in general is less (including sub bass) using Andromeda from a higher ohm source?

Me, personally, I like the Andromeda the most if I slightly decrease the described mid bass area while slightly increasing sub bass. Just sounds more defined and balanced (in the lower tones) to me...

Is there anybody else hearing what I hear in that particular area? Just interested....

PS. Sorry, edited this post several times because I first misunderstood your reply, SilverEars! Thx anyway!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #6,306 of 9,829
This is a bit odd to report here especially when I didn't expect it at ALL... but I plugged in my Andromeda S into the headphone jack of Microsoft Surface Laptop 2. Started playing some mastered songs through Tidal and wow. The details... the layering... the separation... well pretty much everything, it is so much better than my iPhone 6. I wish I was exaggerating but it was honestly no contest. I know that andromedas are source dependent but I didn't think it was going to be this much of a difference (ofc between phones/laptops at least). I tried googling about this and I don't see anyone else mention this anywhere (unless I didn't put in the right keywords) but I was really impressed. There was no white noise/hissing either.

The weird thing is... I looked it up and they said all their parts are just "standard" so I have no idea why it sounded that good. I hope it's not just a fluke though. My brother has an Audeze Deckard, both of us are curious about how they'd sound like with this so I had to buy an adapter through Amazon.

Though I have a big concern : I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be safe to use it with the andromedas? I'm really worried when I read about the drivers getting blown out cos an amp emitted a high pitched loud noise or something... D':

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #6,307 of 9,829
It seems that Surface Laptop 2’s OI is about 1-2 ohms in this case instead of 3-5 ohms with the iPhone 6. What you described is definitely that Andromeda magic

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #6,308 of 9,829
This is a bit odd to report here especially when I didn't expect it at ALL... but I plugged in my Andromeda S into the headphone jack of Microsoft Surface Laptop 2. Started playing some mastered songs through Tidal and wow. The details... the layering... the separation... well pretty much everything, it is so much better than my iPhone 6. I wish I was exaggerating but it was honestly no contest. I know that andromedas are source dependent but I didn't think it was going to be this much of a difference (ofc between phones/laptops at least). I tried googling about this and I don't see anyone else mention this anywhere (unless I didn't put in the right keywords) but I was really impressed. There was no white noise/hissing either.

The weird thing is... I looked it up and they said all their parts are just "standard" so I have no idea why it sounded that good. I hope it's not just a fluke though. My brother has an Audeze Deckard, both of us are curious about how they'd sound like with this so I had to buy an adapter through Amazon.

Though I have a big concern : I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be safe to use it with the andromedas? I'm really worried when I read about the drivers getting blown out cos an amp emitted a high pitched loud noise or something... D':

FWIW, I remember reading somewhere that Campfire recommended not plugging the Andromeda into desktop gear, but can't remember. In the past, however, I have plugged the original Andromeda into a Jotunheim (single ended) multiple times, no problems. Be careful with your ears though, the Andro will get really loud really fast - i couldn't even turn my Jot's volume pot enough to get rid of the channel imbalance (not even to 8 o'clock) before the earphones got too loud.

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #6,309 of 9,829
I had some andromedas ( green) for about a week and returned them as I found a severe lack of sub bass with them. Does anyone else feel the same, and have you had success with a few dB boost at 31hz with these?

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #6,310 of 9,829
I had some andromedas ( green) for about a week and returned them as I found a severe lack of sub bass with them. Does anyone else feel the same, and have you had success with a few dB boost at 31hz with these?

How many hours did you put on them? I found the bass to improve significantly over time. Also, I assume you have read on this thread the importance of having a source with output impedance of around 1 or 2 ohms. Anything above that and bass response is reduced.

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #6,311 of 9,829
I used a Sony WMA1.

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #6,312 of 9,829

Yep! See my statement above! :)

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #6,313 of 9,829
I'm not a basshead (my gear says as much :p) so I'm not exactly noticing the Andro S's deficient sub-bass.
It does alright on The xx - Fantasy. Hans Zimmer - Why So Serious?.
I agree it's definitely a bit light on Future - March Madness.
Try the U12t I guess.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #6,314 of 9,829
It seems that Surface Laptop 2’s OI is about 1-2 ohms in this case instead of 3-5 ohms with the iPhone 6. What you described is definitely that Andromeda magic

Yes! The bad thing is... ever since I've heard how good it could sound, anything less just doesn't cut it for me anymore, oops LOL...

FWIW, I remember reading somewhere that Campfire recommended not plugging the Andromeda into desktop gear, but can't remember. In the past, however, I have plugged the original Andromeda into a Jotunheim (single ended) multiple times, no problems. Be careful with your ears though, the Andro will get really loud really fast - i couldn't even turn my Jot's volume pot enough to get rid of the channel imbalance (not even to 8 o'clock) before the earphones got too loud.

Yes, you are right, they definitely said it. You probably saw it while reading the user manual or maybe someone mentioned it somewhere in this thread lol. I think I was just a bit paranoid that it'd still kill the Andromedas despite being careful or even if i turn all the volumes down low. But yeay, awesome, thanks! At least I can test it out. I'll see how it goes then next week!

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #6,315 of 9,829
Not severe but there was a definite lack of sub bass with the Andromeda, especially when compared to mid bass that actually thumps on the Andro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back