Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 9, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #678 of 9,829
Preordered the Andromeda today.

Thanks @ExpatinJapan for your review, and to everyone else in this thread for your opinions.

May 9, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #679 of 9,829
I'm also in for the Andromeda. Looking forward to comparisons with my pre-ordered Nova.

May 9, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #680 of 9,829
I'll be in like Flynn once there's a 2.5mm balanced cable option :wink:

May 9, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #681 of 9,829

Thanks for your insight....after reading your post I was very close to pulling the trigger but somehow I held myself....rational decision would be to audition them first...
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

I currently own DITA with LPG and was wondering if Andromeda would be a significant upgrade? Curious about the obvious categories soundstage, depth and bottom end...

I love my ditas. The ditas however, I must admit, are not the most versatile and forgiving IEMs. They are extremely resolving and transparent, and when fed the right stuff sound awesome. They've also got some advantage in the way they produce bass, the slam and the naturalness of the decay, because those are really areas where dynamic Drivers typically have some advantage in.

The andromeda, I found, is a somewhat more versatile and sweeter sound, with a more forgiving upper end. What I really love about it over the ditas is the amazing soundstage. It's very noticeably more spacious and open. Don't get me wrong about the bass, the andromeda has really excellent bass, but really, Dynamic Drivers, when done well, really do have their way with bass.

I can't say which is more transparent and resolving (again dita has a couple of models, the answer, the truth, the brass editions), and too many variables, different cables and what not, plus I really haven't done a serious side by side comparison, but yes, as a Dita user, I am pretty sure you will be very happy with the Andromeda, I loved it when I heard it
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #682 of 9,829
Thanks for your insight....after reading your post I was very close to pulling the trigger but somehow I held myself....rational decision would be to audition them first...
bigsmile_face.gif

I applaud your ability to remain rational. Rational thinking rarely factors into my purchasing decisions. 
confused_face.gif

May 9, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #683 of 9,829
Hi everyone, been creeping head-fi for a while now. I've always loved listening to music and throughout the years (in my early 20s) I've worked through quite a few earbuds and iems. I'll admit I'm a relative newbie with everything but I do love seeing reviews and listening to favorite songs with new gear. So I was thinking of splurging on the andromeda for myself. I've primarily used Westone iems (westone um pro10, westone 3, w30) and I just wanted to know if anyone had any insight on how big of a gap there was between the w30s I have now and the andromedas? I've been debating on the w60s for a long time but I'm really drawn to the design of the Campfire Audios. I would really appreciate any comparisons or general suggestions on what to look for and stuff. Thanks!

May 9, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #685 of 9,829
Hey, don't worry about your assessment of he sound, you definitely got the gist of it down. That's my exact assessment of the andromeda too, it's a sweet take on reference sound
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not dead reference that's for sure but it does some things in reference like quality, the way everything is so clean cut, tight, and controlled, even in the way it stages and images, it's got a sense of precision and control that I would expect to hear in a studio
smily_headphones1.gif
hence my description of a sweeter take on reference sound.

Does that match what you hear?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, sounds about right.

Thanks! (To you and others who have kindly commented.

kind regards
expat.

May 9, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #686 of 9,829
It's not dead reference that's for sure but it does some things in reference like quality, the way everything is so clean cut, tight, and controlled, even in the way it stages and images, it's got a sense of precision and control that I would expect to hear in a studio ...

Just out of curiosity: do you consider the K10 (universal or custom) as reference?

May 9, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #688 of 9,829
Pretty much, 2 days left to get a more detailed impression of the Nova before I need to make a decision to get them or not. 

Help a brotha out, please!!!

May 9, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #689 of 9,829
  Hi everyone, been creeping head-fi for a while now. I've always loved listening to music and throughout the years (in my early 20s) I've worked through quite a few earbuds and iems. I'll admit I'm a relative newbie with everything but I do love seeing reviews and listening to favorite songs with new gear. So I was thinking of splurging on the andromeda for myself. I've primarily used Westone iems (westone um pro10, westone 3, w30) and I just wanted to know if anyone had any insight on how big of a gap there was between the w30s I have now and the andromedas? I've been debating on the w60s for a long time but I'm really drawn to the design of the Campfire Audios. I would really appreciate any comparisons or general suggestions on what to look for and stuff. Thanks!

W60 is warmer, smoother, more laid back, slower and looser bass with a bit of spillage into lower mids, and thicker lower mids and smoother/warmer detailed upper mids, less sparkle in treble.  Andromeda is smooth as well, but faster, tighter, and with a more articulate bass and better control/separation from mids, leaner lower mids, more revealing detailed upper mids, and more sparkle/airiness in treble.  Soundstage is very close in comparison, but due to more lushness and warmness W60 doesn't have as good layering and separation in comparison to Andromeda.  It's actually very impressive how Andromeda does a perfect yin-yang of revealing detailed sound wrapped in a blanket of smoothness.

May 9, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #690 of 9,829
  Pretty much, 2 days left to get a more detailed impression of the Nova before I need to make a decision to get them or not. 

Help a brotha out, please!!!

For some reason Campfire is not shipping the NOVA that was pre-ordered. So except for a few reviewers who have them you won't get any impressions from any real users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back