Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
May 9, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #693 of 9,829
May 9, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #694 of 9,829
Well yesterday as you know I stuck the Nova in my ears for a short time and ended up picking up the Andromeda as I left the house and went about my day.

Today as my own personal sacrifice for the common good of this thread and the head-fi community, I braved the nova again to share some of my humble impressions.

As listed earlier I used the Centrance Hifi Skyn with Flacplayer app and then later the Shozy Alien gold Dap.

Fit was extremely good with the ML sized Spiral dot tips as I cleaned the house from top to bottom. I didn`t need to adjust them at all.

Sound:
I had two distinctly different impressions with the two players.

The Centrance hifi-skyn has a lot of power but has a gain setting-I set at 1. It has a decent Dac and can be slightly on the warm side. It has a wide soundstage, well balanced between music and vocals.

The Shozy Alien is organic, clear, accurate, great soundstage, light, fast bass, detailed and nice highs.

The key words being warm vs light.

I found that although I enjoy the Jupiter and Andromeda with the Hifi-Skyn, the Nova seems to match well with the Shozy Alien Gold.

Sure the Skyn is smooth and accurate, has great instrument separation and soundstage but renders the Nova flat, not musical. The highs have no sparkle to them.

With the Shozy Alien Gold on the other hand I found the Nova to have a bigger sound stage, smoother, clearer, organic and earthy, wider with more depth. Clean and clear. Fast.

In summary I think the Nova may prefer a more analytical and not a warm source to bring out its many virtues.

i hope this is helpful.

regards
expat.
These were my impressions of the Nova a few days back. Updated imoressions today.

May 9, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #695 of 9,829
going to get an andromeda :beerchug:

You won't be disappointed, mate!

It was Andromeda or Deserttrip. 

Since I just scored the tickets, Andromeda is out. Though I am still in for the NOVA.

Again, you won't be disappointed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to join the drop after hearing them at the Portland meet :wink:

LOL usually look at the most pretty Jupiter at the first, yes I did, but no fully tried in detailed.

I tried Orion awhile ago, but it didn't click with me earlier. Really liked them this time, though. Just let my buddy at work try them for the day. He's not an audiophile per SE but does know good sound. He really liked them, too. Good stuff KB!

May 9, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #696 of 9,829
I havent tried the Orion.

Here are some brief rough impressions of thr Nova for those who are stressing about the end of the Massdrop soon.

Campfire Audio Nova, 184 hours burn in.

Centrance Hifi -skyn, ipod 6G 128GB with Falcplayer app by Dan Leehr, G1. Output impedance 1ohm or less.
JVC spiral tips

My notes:

The basics before the particulars.

Large soundstage, imaging is good, great instrument separation, nice layering. Fast, clean and clear.

Particulars:

Lots of low end at times(sub bass?).
Although ok at moderate listening levels.
Vocals are good, smooth and accurate.
Treble is smooth and clear, not extended or sparkly.
A kind of flat reference sound at times, although not reference due the bass at times.
Smooth and rounded.
Bass gives it body.
Not energetic, but can be lively.
Not V or U shaped.

More tonight. Although I think thats the guts of it.

Its a good product, half the price of the Jupiter and Andromeda of course but still a great performer within its price point.

I hope this rambling notes and the earlier notes paint a picture and are helpful.

regards
Expat

May 9, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #698 of 9,829
Unfortunately I dont have Lyra or Orion to compare.....

.....or the Continental...my precious. LOL.

:frowning2: Ha ha.

And I havent given them a good enough listen to comment. You know the rules. No commenting on gear you havent heard :wink: heehee

May 10, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #699 of 9,829
Unfortunately I dont have Lyra or Orion to compare.....

.....or the Continental...my precious. LOL.

:frowning2: Ha ha.

And I havent given them a good enough listen to comment. You know the rules. No commenting on gear you havent heard :wink: heehee
ah icic. yeap definitely.

May 10, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #702 of 9,829
Changing from JVC Spiral tips to the stock silicone tips the bass is tamed more, and the highs have a bit more sparkle.

This makes more sense. I only heard them briefly, but I wouldn't describe them as bassy or treble shy. I only listened with stock silicon tips, though. With those, bass was nice n punchy but not bass forward in my opinion. Top end was sparkly but not bright. Definitely stood out as the most deviating from the house sound to my ears.

Finger hovering over the Join button on MassDrop. Shh... Don't tell my wife...

May 10, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #703 of 9,829

W60 is warmer, smoother, more laid back, slower and looser bass with a bit of spillage into lower mids, and thicker lower mids and smoother/warmer detailed upper mids, less sparkle in treble.  Andromeda is smooth as well, but faster, tighter, and with a more articulate bass and better control/separation from mids, leaner lower mids, more revealing detailed upper mids, and more sparkle/airiness in treble.  Soundstage is very close in comparison, but due to more lushness and warmness W60 doesn't have as good layering and separation in comparison to Andromeda.  It's actually very impressive how Andromeda does a perfect yin-yang of revealing detailed sound wrapped in a blanket of smoothness.

Thanks for the information twister! I really liked the soundstage for the w60. I think I'm going to give the andromedas a shot. Appreciate it!

May 10, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #705 of 9,829
@ExpatinJapan Thank you for Nova impression! Think you can try the foam or Comply tips? My ear prefer foam tips, but sometime I found the sound could get too dark with foam. Appreciate your response.

Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back