Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 21, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #5,656 of 9,829
To use the balanced section of the Sony DAP you need to either re-terminate the stock andromeda cable with a 4.4mm plug or get a new cable with the 4.4mm plug. ALO sells them as well as many other cable stores like moon audio and Plussound.

Sorry but I am a bit confused here. I understand that there's a difference between the balanced 4.4mm and single-ended 3.5mm plug, but is there a difference in the make up of the cable that carries the signal? Thanks a lot!

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #5,657 of 9,829
Sorry but I am a bit confused here. I understand that there's a difference between the balanced 4.4mm and single-ended 3.5mm plug, but is there a difference in the make up of the cable that carries the signal? Thanks a lot!

No, the cables wires are the same whether balanced or not. Each headphone driver needs 2 wires for a total of 4. However, how the wires are soldered on to the plug is different depending on what type of plug you want. Balanced keeps the negative wires separate for L and R channels whereas unbalanced combines both L and R wires to a common ground.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #5,658 of 9,829
No, the cables wires are the same whether balanced or not. Each headphone driver needs 2 wires for a total of 4. However, how the wires are soldered on to the plug is different depending on what type of plug you want. Balanced keeps the negative wires separate for L and R channels whereas unbalanced combines both L and R wires to a common ground.
what about cores? Some cables I see 4 cores, some 8 cores? what is the difference gap? And using termination adopters like 2.5mm to 4.4mm or 3.5 mm to 4.4mm can degrade the sound quality? Is it important to go with native terminator? Like, my DAP requires 4.4mm balanced output.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #5,659 of 9,829
what about cores? Some cables I see 4 cores, some 8 cores? what is the difference gap?

That is purely a subjective option between 4 and 8 wires, the latter is significantly more expensive. "Cores" generally refer to the makeup of the internal workings of each wire and that is even more difficult to decode so I would defer that to an expert.

Minimum wires are 4 for balanced cable.

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #5,660 of 9,829
Not sure if anyone else has a Final Audio E5000 but the cable (read about it, it’s good) + the Andromeda sounds better than stock. It’s quite good:

504F061F-6292-4A43-816E-DFA0E6961457.jpeg
AA5AD47F-79D1-4761-AC7D-BD83280A4807.jpeg

Reduces background noise a tad, airier soundstage, more sparkly treble and tighter bass. Everything just sounds more fluid.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #5,661 of 9,829
Not sure if anyone else has a Final Audio E5000 but the cable (read about it, it’s good) + the Andromeda sounds better than stock. It’s quite good:

Reduces background noise a tad, airier soundstage, more sparkly treble and tighter bass. Everything just sounds more fluid.
How does the cable fit over your ear compared to the stock cable? I assume you don’t like the memory wire.

I removed the memory wire and it was ok but went back to a stock cable because I actually liked the memory wire better(though I’m still not a huge fan of the memory wire but it’s ok)

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #5,662 of 9,829
How does the cable fit over your ear compared to the stock cable? I assume you don’t like the memory wire.

I removed the memory wire and it was ok but went back to a stock cable because I actually liked the memory wire better(though I’m still not a huge fan of the memory wire but it’s ok)

I’m a glasses wearer so no memory wire is always better than memory wire to me :)

I have two CA cables and both memory wires are removed. There’s no memory wire on this one. Comfortable and sturdy is what I would describe it.

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #5,663 of 9,829
So IMO the stainless steel ends up looking way better over time as they age. Its a lot like my watch case that is the same grade stainless steel material. My watch is 8 years old and the polished case has lots of micro scratches but still looks awesome, I would argue the worn in look of the stainless steel looks, cooler in a wabi-sabi kind of way.

Cheers,

Ken

So 316L steel is confirmed for Andromeda-S?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #5,664 of 9,829
I can confirm that out of all the tips I have (stock tips, SpinFits, Comply, Symbio W/N) the JVC Spiral Dots give me the best sound.

The sound is crisp, quick, full and balanced. Comfort and insertion ease are good too. I’m usually a L in SpinFits, L in Symbio W/N and a M for Comply but a ML in JVC Spiral Dots for reference.

Btw, really liking the E5000 stock cable with the Andromeda. I might give the E5000 with the Andromeda stock cable to my gf and keep the E5000’s cable :)

Aug 24, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #5,665 of 9,829
I can confirm that out of all the tips I have (stock tips, SpinFits, Comply, Symbio W/N) the JVC Spiral Dots give me the best sound.

The sound is crisp, quick, full and balanced. Comfort and insertion ease are good too. I’m usually a L in SpinFits, L in Symbio W/N and a M for Comply but a ML in JVC Spiral Dots for reference.

Btw, really liking the E5000 stock cable with the Andromeda. I might give the E5000 with the Andromeda stock cable to my gf and keep the E5000’s cable :)

Try out the Sony M gels (green). I am also a ML in spiral dots. The Sony's are so comfortable with the Andro's. Same mid/treble sound as the SD's but the bass is a bit more elevated with the Sony's which I don't mind.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #5,669 of 9,829
Hey everyone,

Will the Andromeda's pair well with the Cayin N5ii?
Thanks

It's actually pretty good if you can get over the hissing. At 20-25 volume or so at low gain, you can't hear it with music on.

I have iEMatch (both 2.5mm and 3.5mm) and I prefer the stock cable or E5000 cable without it. IMO, iEMatch changes the sound too much. Becomes less dynamic.

I'm sure there was more optimal DAPs out there but if you really enjoy the N5ii like I do, it's not worth switching imo. N5ii pairs so well with the rest of my IEMs.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #5,670 of 9,829
Would there be any benefit to adding the iematch to a Mojo? I’m use to the sparkle of
my ie800. The Andro reveals a lot more detail, just missing a little energy up top.
May just need more brain burn, only been 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back