Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Aug 20, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #5,644 of 9,829
I have been using Sony medium gel tips and these have the best fit for me out of everything I have tried. Bass gets a little too elevated on certain tracks however. I think the spiral dots sound a little better.

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #5,645 of 9,829
What experts? Multiple people in SG tried the two models and heard differences, so an honest attempt was made to understand those differences. But if you prefer to mock anyone with a differing opinion, by all means.

Do you feel mocked?

Hmm... and here I see someone going around implying to others that they must be either crazy or deaf.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #5,646 of 9,829

Hmm... We dont see this response in our lab. I feel forced to show our A/B. The high frequency of the Andromeda S is the same as the Andromeda classic Green. The difference is the mid frequency sensitivity and how your brain "hears" the HF relative to the mids. Its a perception of the Andromeda S has having less HF when in fact (according to our labs measurements) has exactly the same.

Anyhow we dont hear the Andromeda S and better or worse its just a personal preference and what kind of music you listen to, you can see they are very similar. I do however love the stainless steel body.

There is some slight variability in these models so disregard the 20 - 300 hz 1 dB difference and focus on 300 - 4K. Then note the 6K 10K peak. Also of note on these couplers and ear simulators anything over 10K is somewhat unknown as the mic can not really capture above 10K accurately. Jude knows more than me about the new ear simulators that are "suppose" to be accurate out to 20K (I am skeptical) :confused:

Andromeda-S-vs-Andromeda-G.bmp

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken,

will all of the subsequent green andromedas have the sound of an Andro S? Or will it be unique to the S only due to the different housing material?

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #5,647 of 9,829
Hi Ken,

will all of the subsequent green andromedas have the sound of an Andro S? Or will it be unique to the S only due to the different housing material?

Hi,

No we are not changing anything on the green Andromeda, it will remain as is.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 20, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #5,648 of 9,829
I think I need a new DAP with less hissing (higher impedance). I really think the Andromeda sounds best with the stock cable + marshmallow tips. IEMatch changes the sound quite a bit.

Might look into that iPod Touch 6th Gen mentioned earlier...I assume it has TIDAL offline.

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #5,649 of 9,829
^ Yes it does have Tidal Offline. I would optimize it by removing all of stock iOS apps, turn off all that location services buried in the settings, etc and just keep the music apps like Tidal, Spotify Qobuz, etc. You'll be surprised that a stripped/optimized iOS for music playback only iPod Touch can sound so clean (hiss free) and dynamics (huge improvement in this area after optimization) with Andromeda. IMO, its SQ is right up there with mid-fi DAP's SQ such as the AK70, ZX100, ZX300 for example.

The default iOS settings for iPod Touch 6th Gen IMO isn't enough for it to be on the same level as mid-fi DAPs. Too much other processes hugging the CPU, making it sound slightly congested and unrefined when compared to mid-fi dedicated DAPs.

Caveat Emptor: my statement is ONLY applicable when using CA Andromeda. The iPod Touch 6th Gen has a weak amp and will clearly sound worse than dedicated DAPs with more power demanding IEMs, earbuds and headphones

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #5,650 of 9,829
I think I need a new DAP with less hissing (higher impedance). I really think the Andromeda sounds best with the stock cable + marshmallow tips. IEMatch changes the sound quite a bit.

Might look into that iPod Touch 6th Gen mentioned earlier...I assume it has TIDAL offline.
Same with my Hiby R6 with IEMatch, the sound doesn't seems reveal the true of Andromeda .

I am looking at WM1A , since Sony will release new USB DAC and BT receiver feature in next firmware ...

Anyone has good and positive feedback on WM1A and Andromeda pairing ?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #5,652 of 9,829
Great match! I doubt you can do much better actually. And now 1A is really affordable. Make sure to use the 4.4 output
Thanks for your recommendation. Is 1A price drop recently? It is still around USD 1025 - 1150 here.

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #5,655 of 9,829
Does that mean I have to buy another cable with the Sony 4.4mm end? :) I have the green Andromeda. Thanks.

To use the balanced section of the Sony DAP you need to either re-terminate the stock andromeda cable with a 4.4mm plug or get a new cable with the 4.4mm plug. ALO sells them as well as many other cable stores like moon audio and Plussound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back