Campfire Audio Ara
May 31, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #76 of 316
Hey guys, just posted up my review of the Solaris 2020 on Everyday Listening. I included extensive comparisons to CFA's trio of flagships - the Andro 2020, Ara and OG Solaris in addition to competitors from other brands. I went back to the drawing board to include a few more photos of the Solaris 2020 (below) alongside Campfire's other shells just so readers can better gauge its size.

I think there’s a negative stigma about refreshes, especially one released so soon after such a significant product launch. However, the Solaris 2020 feels like a new earphone to me, removing all significant barriers holding critics/buyers back from the original. The ergonomics are a world apart from its predecessor and the sound is more natural to my ears, especially through the midrange. I hope this review helps some readers out!

DSC08563.jpg
DSC08565.jpg
Thanks for an outstanding review !

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #78 of 316
Hey guys, just posted up my review of the Solaris 2020 on Everyday Listening. I included extensive comparisons to CFA's trio of flagships - the Andro 2020, Ara and OG Solaris in addition to competitors from other brands. I went back to the drawing board to include a few more photos of the Solaris 2020 (below) alongside Campfire's other shells just so readers can better gauge its size.

Really helpful review, thanks for this! It's hard to find comparisons between these at the moment. Looking forward to a dedicated Ara review :L3000:

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #79 of 316
could you possibly comment on how bigger the 2020 solaris is from the 2020 andro?

I think there’s a negative stigma about refreshes, especially one released so soon after such a significant product launch. However, the Solaris 2020 feels like a new earphone to me, removing all significant barriers holding critics/buyers back from the original. The ergonomics are a world apart from its predecessor and the sound is more natural to my ears, especially through the midrange. I hope this review helps some readers out!

DSC08563.jpg
DSC08565.jpg

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #80 of 316
could you possibly comment on how bigger the 2020 solaris is from the 2020 andro?

Hey ecodr, I took a few photos on a grid in my previous post here. If you take a look on the page after that, Twister also took some fit pics that show the differences quite well. TLDR, still feels bigger than the Andro/CFA BA shell, but the style of fit is similar, no longer sitting further out of the ear like the OG Solaris.

On another note, I've been testing a new way of measuring IEMs to better reduce resonances from the rig itself. Here's a revised FR that takes into account a deep fit to the 2nd bend of the ear vs with a shallower fit (coupler nozzle off/on). As we can observe, the 8K peak is now gone (common coupler resonance for my setup) and the amplitude of the lower-treble peaks are more in line with what I'm hearing. As always, I'm not a professional here, nor the most learned so take these with a grain of salt!

Deep fit:
Campfire Audio Ara V2.png

Shallow fit:
Campfire Audio Ara.png

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #81 of 316
Thank you, I missed that grid photo but it’s an excellent visual comparison tool. I think they defo could work for me and will probably give them a go. Originally I auditioned a pair of 2018 Andro’s and loved the sound so can only think the Solaris will be a positive step up. Have given up trying to find a gold pair of Andro’s.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #82 of 316
Thank you, I missed that grid photo but it’s an excellent visual comparison tool. I think they defo could work for me and will probably give them a go. Originally I auditioned a pair of 2018 Andro’s and loved the sound so can only think the Solaris will be a positive step up. Have given up trying to find a gold pair of Andro’s.

Yeah, shame the experimental models were all limited run, quite hard to come by these days and it makes it hard to standardise comparison between the models too. Lots of Andro comparisons out there, I wrote some up in my Solaris 2020 review here if you're interested. Despite Solaris 2020 being more expensive, if you prefer a warmer, fuller sound and a bit more balance, the Andro might still be to your preference. That said, to my ears, the new Solaris is a fine creation indeed, enjoy :)

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #83 of 316
Not sure if the comparison is a stretch but what I'd really like to see the Ara compared to is the 64 Audio U12t... What do you think?

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #86 of 316
Not sure if the comparison is a stretch but what I'd really like to see the Ara compared to is the 64 Audio U12t... What do you think?
From memory, the U12t is more v-shaped sounding than the Ara. Vocals on the Ara are more present with better clarity.

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #87 of 316
From memory, the U12t is more v-shaped sounding than the Ara. Vocals on the Ara are more present with better clarity.
Interesting! Would you say the Ara might be more studio monitors style flat reference tuning?

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #90 of 316
Comparing to the limited edition variants of the Andromeda (S, SE: Gold & MW10), the Ara is undoubtedly the neutral sounding one out of the lot. One thing that stands out from the Ara is the overall definition. The bass is very clean and tight. Vocals have good body and the upper midrange emphasis helps in the overall engagement. The treble is detailed and articulate with controlled sparkle. The positioning of vocals and instruments is very precise. There is holographic soundstage expansion, the width in particular. To sum it up, the Ara is clean & detailed and it has a very appealing sound.

11252003.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back