Campfire Audio Ara
Jun 14, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #92 of 316
Comparing to the limited edition variants of the Andromeda (S, SE: Gold & MW10), the Ara is undoubtedly the neutral sounding one out of the lot. One thing that stands out from the Ara is the overall definition. The bass is very clean and tight. Vocals have good body and the upper midrange emphasis helps in the overall engagement. The treble is detailed and articulate with controlled sparkle. The positioning of vocals and instruments is very precise. There is holographic soundstage expansion, the width in particular. To sum it up, the Ara is clean & detailed and it has a very appealing sound.

11252003.jpg

ur pics r on point, great summary too

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #93 of 316
Jun 16, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #98 of 316
Any impressions on Ara compared to something like the Anole VX-S? I'd assume Anole would still top it out with resolution/detail retrieval, but is the Ara comparable with a slightly more musical, better timbre tonality?

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #99 of 316
Ara and Solaris 2020

Wow both are amazing

1- Ara has more detail in mids and highs, mircro details are captured in an amazing way. Ara definitely are amazing for lovers of detail, with a great balance of mids, highs and bass. Do not let this make you think Ara lacks in tonality or body, but its less than solaris
2- Solaris is more holographic and more body, it has a hint of a fun signature that is mesmerizing to listen to.

Both complete each other and I can not see myself preferring one over the other

20200617_124516.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #100 of 316
Ara and Solaris 2020

Wow both are amazing

1- Ara has more detail in mids and highs, mircro details are captured in an amazing way. Ara definitely are amazing for lovers of detail, with a great balance of mids, highs and bass. Do not let this make you think Ara lacks in tonality or body, but its less than solaris
2- Solaris is more holographic and more body, it has a hint of a fun signature that is mesmerizing to listen to.

Both complete each other and I can not see myself preferring one over the other

I concur. For me, I feel along with the Andromeda 2020, they form a fantastic trio. They complement each other very well and I enjoy them all. Happy listening!

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #101 of 316
I had my Ara review half done and then read more in this thread. Long story short, insertion depth matters. Deep insertion increases stage and decreases warmth. However, increased insertion depth also increases physical fatigue for me due to the trademark Campfire shell shape of the Ara.

I have to recheck my comparisons now.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #102 of 316
Any impressions on Ara compared to something like the Anole VX-S? I'd assume Anole would still top it out with resolution/detail retrieval, but is the Ara comparable with a slightly more musical, better timbre tonality?
Yes, you are spot on. The Ara is comparable definitely and it is more musical with a smoother presentation. There is greater upper midrange emphasis which elevates the overall engagement on the Ara.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #104 of 316
I just had a brief audition with the Campfire Audio Ara when I returned the DX220 Max to my local dealer.
As I was not expecting to try out anything, I did not have my micro SD card with me. But when my
friendly local dealer offer me to have a go, I oblighed.

I have read reviews saying that the Ara sounds flat, and to be fair, I think "neutral" is a more
accurate description. With a powerful player like the DX220 Max, the Ara sounds rather
exciting and not flat. There is very little coloration to the sound and I do notice a lot of
of details in the demo music files in the player.

Having the Campfire Atlas and the Solaris, the Atlas is a beast, for my basshead music,
and I bought the Solaris (gold) for usual listening, which is defintely still on the warmer side
with a tad more bass than usual IEMs. For bass, even though the Ara does not have as much
impact as the Solaris, it does not lose out on the bass details. And probably because of this
and also being without any crossover, there is definitely more detail in the mid and highs.
But it is a very nice balance.

If you are a Campfire Audio fan like me, have a go at the Ara. I would not say everyone will
like its sound signature, but it is definitely worth its salt at that price and the right kind music.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #105 of 316
The Ara certainly sound intriguing! I wonder, how well they would complement my current go-to IEMs (CA Solaris SE);
It seems the size is much more to my liking but I mostly wonder about the sound signature.

I just had the Obravo Erib1c on loan but decided not to go for it. I am looking for a fun and comfortable to wear over extended periods of time that is different enough from the Solaris SE. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back