Campfire Audio Ara
Jun 21, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #106 of 316
The Ara certainly sound intriguing! I wonder, how well they would complement my current go-to IEMs (CA Solaris SE);
It seems the size is much more to my liking but I mostly wonder about the sound signature.

I just had the Obravo Erib1c on loan but decided not to go for it. I am looking for a fun and comfortable to wear over extended periods of time that is different enough from the Solaris SE. Any thoughts?

From what I recall with my two weeks with the Solaris SE-

Ara is more neutral across the frequencies. Solaris has the advantage still in holographic presentation with flying notes, but Ara’s mid range is more fun to my ears and forward. Sparkle seems pretty even. Solaris is a bit more musical, Ara a bit more detailed but still very enjoyable and musical in its own unique way.

The biggest difference ofc will likely be the bass due to Solaris’ DD. That being said, Ara seems like a nice complement because you get a nice mid and high centric focus due to the more balanced bass (as balanced as Solaris already is). Even though it’s 4 BA’s, the bass is still well implemented on the Aras. Fast, punchy, articulate. Just won’t move as much as air as a DD would, with less sub-bass (eartip dependent). Although, I listened to some electronic music with the Aras and actually enjoyed it (and I have a Legend X for that normally).

I think the Ara slots in very nicely between the Andromeda and Solaris IMO, as several others have pointed out :).

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #107 of 316
From what I recall with my two weeks with the Solaris SE-

Ara is more neutral across the frequencies. Solaris has the advantage still in holographic presentation with flying notes, but Ara’s mid range is more fun to my ears and forward. Sparkle seems pretty even. Solaris is a bit more musical, Ara a bit more detailed but still very enjoyable and musical in its own unique way.

The biggest difference ofc will likely be the bass due to Solaris’ DD. That being said, Ara seems like a nice complement because you get a nice mid and high centric focus due to the more balanced bass (as balanced as Solaris already is). Even though it’s 4 BA’s, the bass is still well implemented on the Aras. Fast, punchy, articulate. Just won’t move as much as air as a DD would, with less sub-bass (eartip dependent). Although, I listened to some electronic music with the Aras and actually enjoyed it (and I have a Legend X for that normally).

I think the Ara slots in very nicely between the Andromeda and Solaris IMO, as several others have pointed out :).

Sounds good, thank you. The Ara might be a bit too much on the neutral side of things, I suppose I am looking for a rather more fun and engaging listen vs something neutral/reference sounding.

Jun 21, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #108 of 316
Sounds good, thank you. The Ara might be a bit too much on the neutral side of things, I suppose I am looking for a rather more fun and engaging listen vs something neutral/reference sounding.

I feel ya. That’s the thing though-and hopefully others can chip in, but despite its neutral tonality I find the IEM fun and musical. It’s not a boring referential sound. There’s good texture, great energy/not particularly laid back. It’s coherent, engaging.

Coming from the Legend X, which some may argue is as “fun as it gets”, I still find a new unique presentation of fun with the Ara.

For comparisons, I listened to the Anole VXS only for a bit a while back but despite that IEM being technically more proficient, I found that one a bit too boring and referential.

Ara comes across as more fun and engaging and musical compared to it. CA found a nice balance in my eyes for this one.

On the flip side, if you want fun-fun, Atlas could be worth looking into. Much more v shaped with tons of bass and sparkle up top.

And ofc many others to consider outside of CA’s line up.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #110 of 316
I feel ya. That’s the thing though-and hopefully others can chip in, but despite its neutral tonality I find the IEM fun and musical. It’s not a boring referential sound. There’s good texture, great energy/not particularly laid back. It’s coherent, engaging.

Coming from the Legend X, which some may argue is as “fun as it gets”, I still find a new unique presentation of fun with the Ara.

For comparisons, I listened to the Anole VXS only for a bit a while back but despite that IEM being technically more proficient, I found that one a bit too boring and referential.

Ara comes across as more fun and engaging and musical compared to it. CA found a nice balance in my eyes for this one.

On the flip side, if you want fun-fun, Atlas could be worth looking into. Much more v shaped with tons of bass and sparkle up top.

And ofc many others to consider outside of CA’s line up.

Yeah, good point! I have been eyeing the Atlas for a while actually!

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #111 of 316
Comparisons rechecked, insertion depth picked. Review posted on audioprimate.blog. I like it. I like it a lot.

49925300683_b12b8ea229_b.jpg

Jun 24, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #112 of 316
Jun 24, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #113 of 316
Excellent release from Campfire Audio. Super smooth transitions and the new mids driver works a treat!.

Our review is now posted :)

https://headfonics.com/campfire-audio-ara-review/

Nice review.

To complement this paragraph:

The Final E tips roll up the nozzle a bit more so the Ara sits closer to the ‘second bend’ in your ear canal. In doing so, you get a qualitative upgrade in perceived low-end dynamics and more immersion into the Ara’s excellent imaging capability.

This impression will be further reinforced with the silicone tips.

Indeed, based on my experience with the Andromeda Special Edition: Gold:

• Foam tips: where's the bass?
  • Final E tips: Ah-ah! There it is!
  • Silicone tips: bobbing head :dark_sunglasses:

As I'm planning to get the Ara as a complement to the Gold, I know for a fact that I'll need the silicone tips.

I found that with BAs, the deeper the insertion the better bass you'll get, i.e. if you like it.

If anyone can physically explain it though, I'd be interested,

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #115 of 316
Nice review.

As I'm planning to get the Ara as a complement to the Gold, I know for a fact that I'll need the silicone tips.

I found that with BAs, the deeper the insertion the better bass you'll get, i.e. if you like it.

asdasd.jpg

somebody here who has heard both side to side ?

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #117 of 316
@marcusd I would be grateful to know how the Ara compares, from memory, to Gaudio's Nair if you don't mind the extra typing here on Head-Fi...

Lolz homework it is :) I think both tow a straight line or reference but the Nair is the cleaner cooler of the two and the Ara slightly warmer or more natural sounding. Also, Ara has a slightly firmer low-end. Honestly, this is a good comparison, didn't think of that one so going to sit down this weekend and hear them out side by side.

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #118 of 316
Nice review.

Horses for courses, and yeah Final E you are right. I would throw in the old SpinFits also. For some reason, the seal on the silicone tips for me never quite works out.

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #120 of 316
try spiral dots , with campfire iems :) also symbios are working great

I used to live on symbios but more and more Final E is proving to be the slightly superior tip for my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back