Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #10,246 of 19,142
I have a very nice modded Heathkit AA-151 - which is an early 1960's vintage integrated amp that runs el84's in triode mode for 8 watts per channel of power.  I actually have it up for sale to use the proceeds for a headphone amp but got to thinking if I could somehow run headphones out of my speaker connections - well I love the sound of this amp with high efficiency speakers like zus.  I have been looking through various threads here but can't really find much information about commercially available products that would allow me to turn my speaker amp into a headphone amp ( there is no headphone connection and I am not diy'er at least where amps and power are concerned).

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #10,247 of 19,142
  I have a very nice modded Heathkit AA-151 - which is an early 1960's vintage integrated amp that runs el84's in triode mode for 8 watts per channel of power.  I actually have it up for sale to use the proceeds for a headphone amp but got to thinking if I could somehow run headphones out of my speaker connections - well I love the sound of this amp with high efficiency speakers like zus.  I have been looking through various threads here but can't really find much information about commercially available products that would allow me to turn my speaker amp into a headphone amp ( there is no headphone connection and I am not diy'er at least where amps and power are concerned).

you have two commercially available options that i know of

http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=104

http://vinylflat.com/canopener.html

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #10,248 of 19,142
I would post a question at AudioKarma forums, before I would hook up headphones to a tube amp that does not have a headphone jack (even if you were to use an adapter like those suggested above).  There will definitely be someone there who knows exactly what is best to do...

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #10,249 of 19,142
Skylab....Thanks for the congrats. I'm quite happy I became a AK subscriber. My education continues and barter is awesome.
biggrin.gif

ladavid....Your Heathkit AA-151 screams early 60's retro. I love how it looks.

I love all the silver faced Kenwood people are posting. Some might think these units look plain but in person, a clean silver faced Kenwood is a thing of beauty.

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #10,251 of 19,142
Does anyone have any experience with Vintage Panasonic amps?? Found one local for only $60 that looks to be in great shape. 

RA-6600 with built in 8-track player which is awesome!! 

I think it has 40 watts per channel but I could be wrong

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #10,252 of 19,142
  I ran into a few interesting items today in Knoxville TN. The receiver in the first pics I now own.

Looks like a nice project. The dustier the better :) What's the scoop with the last pic, the one with the KT88 in it.
popcorn.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #10,253 of 19,142
More Kenwood love

My first barter town purchase. Kenwood model 600 with complete recap by Echo Wars, the local Audio Karma Kenwood guru.

It cost some $$$, but I'm already in love. Best amp I own!

guessing you got that off of Nick which is the same place I got my 7300 he tried to talk me into the 600 but I just couldn't justify it.

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #10,254 of 19,142
And a follow up, what would be a fair price for a minty Pioneer SX-850? Seen prices range from $150 to $350 Whats a more realistic price?

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #10,255 of 19,142
guessing you got that off of Nick which is the same place I got my 7300 he tried to talk me into the 600 but I just couldn't justify it.

Actually got it off AK member yggdrasill (seattle area)

Your 7300 looks great, Don't see many of those around and I bet it sounds fantastic.

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #10,256 of 19,142
I ran into a few interesting items today in Knoxville TN. The receiver in the first pics I now own.

Care to share what it/they are for those of us who can't quite tell? :D

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #10,257 of 19,142
Been talking to John at Vinylflat today about the Canopener.  Says my amp should be a good match for the canopener - I checked that my speaker connections had a common ground.  Also read some reviews here at Head-Fi - sounds like a good product for relatively few dollars leaving me more money for new headphones.  Appreciate the pointer to this product.

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #10,258 of 19,142
I decided that I liked the sx1050 enough to get a restoration done. So today I drove to Knoxville TN to drop off the 1050 with Terry Dewick who is somewhat reknowned for his vintage restorations. The other photos are the other restorations he is working on. They are all Mac's, very early. 

Very excited about having a completely restored receiver. It will be my first. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #10,259 of 19,142
  Been talking to John at Vinylflat today about the Canopener.  Says my amp should be a good match for the canopener - I checked that my speaker connections had a common ground.  Also read some reviews here at Head-Fi - sounds like a good product for relatively few dollars leaving me more money for new headphones.  Appreciate the pointer to this product.

Glad I was able to help! Feel free to join the "speaker amps for headphones" thread.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back