Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #10,216 of 19,142
  Yes I definitely plan to restore one myself  sometime! I would do it now, but I currently own this beauty (black version) from Yamaha that has a nice vintage look. 

I am also almost done with my back loaded horn project! Here's a pic of a box I just sealed up today and need to finish with some additional coats of Tung Oil. Apologies for the low lighting and quality, was taken with my phone and ceiling light off. The second pic is a rough estimate of what it will look like once complete (different driver, but same tweeter included). I can't wait!

Yeah thats a lovely Yam! And nice work on the speakers, looking very smart indeed. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #10,217 of 19,142
  Yeah thats a lovely Yam! And nice work on the speakers, looking very smart indeed. 

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #10,218 of 19,142
  Sorry, NO 30+ years old electronics is likely to perform as when it was new - let alone to the top performance level at least some designs are capable of if and when fitted with high enough quality parts.

Ask US airmen how they felt after testing captured latest Japanese aircraft after the end of WW2 back in the USA - fed with the proper high octane kerosene. If the  Japanese had enough oil to produce the kerosene with the required octane number ... - but they were forced to settle for less octanes and more gallons by the shortage of oil.

Still, good vintage gear, even if left untouched, usually does give any current production a fair run for the money and is best bang for the buck. Specially if you can refurbish it yourself - it is great source of satisfaction.

Yeah, I meant it as a matter speech :) But I'd also argue that if an amp has been in storage for 30 years... It may well sound the same as when it was put in storage, depending on where it was stored? 30 years may seem like a long time, but I would imagine it would take many life times for the soldering, resistors etc to deteriorate without use. I've never read of capacitors leaking also without use. A car that has been wrapped up in a dry garage for thirty years could theoretically be cleaned up as good as new too. Maybe a change of tyres would be in order! 

My 551 is in such time-warp condition and it sounds as good as new to me :wink:  

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #10,219 of 19,142
Ask US airmen how they felt after testing captured latest Japanese aircraft after the end of WW2 back in the USA - fed with the proper high octane kerosene. If the  Japanese had enough oil to produce the kerosene with the required octane number ... - but they were forced to settle for less octanes and more gallons by the shortage of oil.

I didnt know the Japanese had a turbine/jet engined airplane at the end of the war.

I haven't heard the term "octane" used with reference to jet fuel either. OTOH, I have also never flown a WWII vintage airplane.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #10,220 of 19,142
This is worth seeing again me thinks! Reel nice! 

Thanks man - here is one more shot! This deck came to me for the first time yesterday but I am loving it :D

35b6e8cf61b7d8338bd13a26ec9661a4_zpscce1bc97.jpg

ReVox... talk about a walk-off homer!
:beerchug:

Thanks SO!!!! Really digging it :wink:

That is very nice indeed. What is a good place/resource to start for someone wanting to get into reels? Is source material abundant and reasonable in price still? Sorry if it's OT, I'll gladly go to another thread if there is an active one on the topic.

Just to provide a different opinion than was already presented here, you CAN get into reel to reel without spending a fortune IF you approach it from the right way. You can buy one of the super - reliable consumer decks like a Pioneer RT-707 and hunt for pre-recorded reels on eBay without spending more than a few hundred dollars total. This is not a "perfectionist" approach but rather a hobbyist one.

Lots of great info on AudioKarma if you have more interest.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #10,221 of 19,142
Just to provide a different opinion than was already presented here, you CAN get into reel to reel without spending a fortune IF you approach it from the right way. You can buy one of the super - reliable consumer decks like a Pioneer RT-707 and hunt for pre-recorded reels on eBay without spending more than a few hundred dollars total. This is not a "perfectionist" approach but rather a hobbyist one.

Lots of great info on AudioKarma if you have more interest.

Thanks Skylab, that still keeps the hope alive. I can settle with a hobbyist approach as I have enough digital and vinyl source material to last me a lifetime lol.

Oct 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #10,222 of 19,142
Yes I definitely plan to restore one myself  sometime! I would do it now, but I currently own this beauty (black version) from Yamaha that has a nice vintage look. 

I am also almost done with my back loaded horn project! Here's a pic of a box I just sealed up today and need to finish with some additional coats of Tung Oil. Apologies for the low lighting and quality, was taken with my phone and ceiling light off. The second pic is a rough estimate of what it will look like once complete (different driver, but same tweeter included). I can't wait!

Which driver is that? I'm eventually going to build a Dallas II Horn when time allows. BTW nice work!

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #10,223 of 19,142
Which driver is that? I'm eventually going to build a Dallas II Horn when time allows. BTW nice work!

That particular driver is the 6.5in Fostex FF165K. Mine will be the 8in. FE206En, which is arguably the best full range driver Fostex makes, much better bass response. Thanks! I'm no woodworker, but I do what i can with what i have. If you have the skills/tools for a Dallas II, I would recommend doing a Chang, or Half Chang build.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #10,224 of 19,142
I have wondered what the Mark audio 8" inch drivers would do in a similar enclosure? I see you have the super tweeter which IMO opens up the Fostex signature.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #10,226 of 19,142
Oct 22, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #10,227 of 19,142
Mike Fremer really has me contemplating grabbing another turntable and revisiting an era that brought me into music many moons ago. Any insight?

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #10,228 of 19,142
Mike Fremer really has me contemplating grabbing another turntable and revisiting an era that brought me into music many moons ago. Any insight?

Go for it! The least you'll get out of it is a nostalgic trip down memory lane, I think that alone would be worth it :) Ooh, do you still have your stash packed away somewhere? I love the smell of old vinyl lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back