Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #9,964 of 19,143

Though, the shop DeoxIT'd, can't hurt to try. I am lacking tools and the space to work on it. We'll see...

Sorry to hear your Vintage misbehavin'. 

I can sympathize with your hauling of your equipment from hotel to hotel. I do it with my recording gear - from hall to church to... wherever is some interesting sound waiting to be captured on recording. And yes, at (n+1) times your equipment no longer is padded in a bag, protected with styrofoam, boxed, double boxed - but naked or protected with a thin towel or similar to prevent gross scratching only. You can not pamper working equipment under real world conditions and time schedules. No one is going to pay security etc of say a recording hall just to wait for me to double wrap each and every component...

On most frequently used equipment, I resolder each and every solder joint approx every 2 years. 
Especially prone to failure are solder joints of RCA females that are usually soldered directly to the printed circuit board. It lasts for n insertions/removals of RCA plug, at (n+1)st mating ...you get the picture.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #9,965 of 19,143
Yes, yes I do get the pix. I'm almost certain I jarred something. Not all is lost - it still plays once it settles in. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #9,966 of 19,143
I was just thinking that this could be a cold solder joint that has been "jarred" into action.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #9,968 of 19,143
  Yes, yes I do get the pix. I'm almost certain I jarred something. Not all is lost - it still plays once it settles in. 

Oh - how FAMILIAR.  My CD-R recorder has a very very narrow window of temperature where it works. 
It must be some iffy contact in multilayer printed circuit board, did check everything else.

On normal/hot days, it requires fan to keep it cold enough. On really hot days, it means I have to control the speed and loudness of the fan according to music just being recorded live. Slow/quiet during quiet music, full gas at loud moments. Otherwise, microphones do pick fan in the recording.

On really really cold days, in a church with georgeos acoustics but cold enough all musicians enjoy sunbathing during the pauses in the hottest of July, it would simply not power up. A trip to the priest fetched me a hair drier - quick burst of heat and we were back in business.

I am glad I could retire CD some 4 years ago, but it took me almost 4 years to get DSD recorders sonically on par with my highly modified CD-R recorder. First DSD recordings made with stock Korg units received lukewarm acceptance from the singers who were "spoiled" by the sound of the CD-R. If it requires fan or hair drier - so be it.

All that really matters in the end is  that it delivers sonically.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #9,969 of 19,143

Oh - how FAMILIAR.  My CD-R recorder has a very very narrow window of temperature where it works. 
It must be some iffy contact in multilayer printed circuit board, did check everything else.

On normal/hot days, it requires fan to keep it cold enough. On really hot days, it means I have to control the speed and loudness of the fan according to music just being recorded live. Slow/quiet during quiet music, full gas at loud moments. Otherwise, microphones do pick fan in the recording.

On really really cold days, in a church with georgeos acoustics but cold enough all musicians enjoy sunbathing during the pauses in the hottest of July, it would simply not power up. A trip to the priest fetched me a hair drier - quick burst of heat and we were back in business.

I am glad I could retire CD some 4 years ago, but it took me almost 4 years to get DSD recorders sonically on par with my highly modified CD-R recorder. First DSD recordings made with stock Korg units received lukewarm acceptance from the singers who were "spoiled" by the sound of the CD-R. If it requires fan or hair drier - so be it.

All that really matters in the end is  that it delivers sonically.

biggrin.gif
 When I nearly bought one of the remaining stock of Korg MR2000, I remember your trip down DSD Lane. And the mods you incorporated. But you were unable to share. And I didn't want a pedestrian DSD Player, so I let it go.

Now looking at the Tascam DA-3000.
attachment.php

A new digital recorder paired with a vintage receiver? What a contrast. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #9,970 of 19,143

biggrin.gif
 When I nearly bought one of the remaining stock of Korg MR2000, I remember your trip down DSD Lane. And the mods you incorporated. But you were unable to share. And I didn't want a pedestrian DSD Player, so I let it go.

Now looking at the Tascam DA-3000.
attachment.php

A new digital recorder paired with a vintage receiver? What a contrast. 
biggrin.gif

I guess I would call ANY currently available recorder , be it DSD or otherwise, pedestrian. Korg MR1/1000/2000S share exactly the same bottlenecks.
They require wizzardry beyond any normal level and can only be kludged into submission in order to sound right. It really is a lunatic fringe mod most would say it can not be done. As always - analog sections. Sharing this particular mod would in more than 90% of cases result in malfunction if not downright terminal destruction of the recorder.

I have yet to see innards of Tascam DA-3000, but its 1U height (same as MR2000S) leaves very little hope it can be put right. There is a mild chance that IC complement Tascam uses is better than Korg's, at least based on pics of UD-501DSD DAC innards in the thread here on head-fi. But recorder 
(  ADC & DAC ) is a much more complicated machine than a "simple"  DAC and bean counters are most prone to striking at analog sections during their cost cutting procedure.

I see no contrast in pairing a vintage receicer and new digital recorder. Both are supposed to aim at quality.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #9,971 of 19,143
Awwww... There is a Marantz 2440 near me on Craigslist for $150. can't afford it dangit. oh well... I think my original mint condition translucent blue US The Division Bell was worth it for this month... 

I can't wait to pick up my Marantz 4400 tomorrow from Audio Specialties hook my Music-hall MMF-5.1 and B&O S60's to it and listen to it! I will probably only play it once or twice since I already have a Brazilian one that's in average shape. TDB was not opened still in shrink wrap but they weren't shrink wrapped at the factory I don't think but its completely mint inside never opened and I looked all over online to make sure it's real and everything matches the official ones! :)

Now I need to find out some way to afford Roger Waters Amused to Death on vinyl and SACD this month by the 15th!!! 

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #9,972 of 19,143
Oct 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #9,974 of 19,143
  Yes very, very nice integrated. One of the totl integrates that flies under radar here. It was the precurser to the 9500(which i picked up a few weeks ago). Congrats on the find.

*cough* pics please 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #9,975 of 19,143
lol, honestly I wasn't going to say anything until I got past the "new toy" phase because this thing literally sounds too good to be true. So I've been trying to convince myself it doesn't really sound this good. Whenever I buy something, I always do it knowing that I don't have room for a new addition and whatever comes in last(sonically speaking) will hit the door. Sometimes it ended up being the very piece I just bought. But this time it ended up being my sx1280.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back