Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #8,597 of 19,142
Great looking space Rob!!

Thanks Scott!

I am glad you survived with relatively low losses - it could have been far worse.

Great man cave you've got down there, wish I had something similar. BUT - what are 3 pairs of speakers doing in the same room? I can understand for the concessions in sound you had to take in order to accommodate that big, hard acoustic flat surface ( TV screen ) - but 3 speakers are really beyond me. You have to haul them along in any way if you want to listen to any of the other two pairs - not much less work and hassle than having the unused pairs in storage in  the nearby closet - with your experience, on some 10" high 
wink_face.gif

blocks...

I spy Pioneer RtoR in your rack, as well as an equalizer; from the same great Pioneer series perhaps?

Funny you should mention that...here was the result of today's project:

1860dc79237c9110bb7900580977bed9_zpsa620337c.jpg

The other speakers are now tucked away in the "unfinished" part of the basement. Can't bear to part with them, at least not yet, but the B&W DM-16s are the best sounding of the bunch, and of course they do sound better without the other speakers so close by.

And yep, you spied right, the bottom of the rack has a Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel deck, which is about to have some Dave Brubeck on it :D

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #8,598 of 19,142
Quote:
Thanks Scott!

1860dc79237c9110bb7900580977bed9_zpsa620337c.jpg

The other speakers are now tucked away in the "unfinished" part of the basement. Can't bear to part with them, at least not yet, but the B&W DM-16s are the best sounding of the bunch, and of course they do sound better without the other speakers so close by.

And yep, you spied right, the bottom of the rack has a Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel deck, which is about to have some Dave Brubeck on it
biggrin.gif

That's the spirit 
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #8,599 of 19,142
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Scott!

And yep, you spied right, the bottom of the rack has a Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel deck, which is about to have some Dave Brubeck on it
biggrin.gif

That's the spirit 
beerchug.gif

+1

I need some R2R love to round out my analogue rig...

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #8,600 of 19,142
Many of the 7.5 ips reel tapes I have are among the very best sounding recordings I have in ANY media.

The Pioneer RT-707 is an excellent first reel deck and unless it was abused it is almost certain to work. They were built like a tank, and all the motors are direct drive, so no belts to replace.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #8,601 of 19,142
wink_face.gif
 And you know I appreciate your guidance. Same with Wualta wait... where is that cat?! Anyway, I see myself jumping on CL at dinner time. 

Also, I finally signed up for AK last month, but ain't done nuthin' over there yet. Obviously, we gonna throw up our G22k over
rolleyes.gif
 there. Took new pix but having driver issues with my pc. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #8,602 of 19,142
Always nice clean socks as well.. Very commendable. 

If that was me, there'd be holes and petruding toe nails causing offense and nausea haha

beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #8,603 of 19,142
Quote:
Always nice clean socks as well.. Very commendable. 

If that was me, there'd be holes and petruding toe nails causing offense and nausea haha

beerchug.gif

+1.

Quote:
wink_face.gif
 And you know I appreciate your guidance. Same with Wualta wait... where is that cat?! Anyway, I see myself jumping on CL at dinner time. 

Also, I finally signed up for AK last month, but ain't done nuthin' over there yet. Obviously, we gonna throw up our G22k over
rolleyes.gif
 there. Took new pix but having driver issues with my pc. 

AK stands for Audiokarma ? I am still "Silent Assasin" over there, lurking from time to time. Saw a couple of headfiers over there, too.

Regarding R2R, or any other recorder, not just playback device, Careful With That Axe, Eugene #2 is in order. Recording, even taping live shows off FM radio broadcasts, is creative work - not to mention real recording in a studio or on location. It is a whole new level, but requires time. LOTS of it.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi che entrate ... - if you think it can be done overnight.

Question for Skylab: where do (or did) you get your analog tapes from? 2nd generation from master tape , some monkey bussiness ? Are there still companies offering analog R2R tapes as it used to be in the past? The day any turntable and vinyl record reaches the same SQ as analog tape the record has been made from ( with the possible exception of half speed mastering, where it is possible for the resulting disc to outperform master tape playback ) - THAT will be the day. Audio shows featuring R2R playing some well recorded analog masters will quickly silence even the most hard core 
proponents of any other media. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #8,604 of 19,142
I have a fairly healthy collection of factory recorded reel to reel tapes. These were mostly purchased on eBay and are mostly jazz and classical, since 7.5 ips rock reel tapes are hard to come by and 3.75 ips tapes don't sound all that good. The tapes I I have range from very good to absolutely spectacular in terms of SQ.

I also have a few 10"/15 ips tapes that are copies of safety masters. These of course sound beyond spectacular. They also require playback on my Teac A-3340S which will play 10" reels and has a 15 ips speed capability, which the Pioneer does not.

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #8,605 of 19,142
Quote:
I have a fairly healthy collection of factory recorded reel to reel tapes. These were mostly purchased on eBay and are mostly jazz and classical, since 7.5 ips rock reel tapes are hard to come by and 3.75 ips tapes don't sound all that good. The tapes I I have range from very good to absolutely spectacular in terms of SQ.

I also have a few 10"/15 ips tapes that are copies of safety masters. These of course sound beyond spectacular. They also require playback on my Teac A-3340S which will play 10" reels and has a 15 ips speed capability, which the Pioneer does not.

Well, I guess USA is/was the place to be for R2R factory recorded tapes. In Europe it was much less spread, in my back then country, Yugoslavia, getting R2R copy of anything meant connections in recording studios - none were available commercially. Later on cassettes, but R2R factory recorded tapes were never available to public.

15 ips is the optimum for R2R - going to 30 ips does give some more extension and headroom in the treble, but is usually accompanied with loss in bass. Funny - no R2R I know of can touch latest generation of cassette decks in bass - amorphous heads that show no usual LF ripples in frequency response have become available only well after the last R2R machines have been built. Technics RS-AZ 6 and 7 cassette decks , which among handful of others feature these heads, were released only in 1996, 

Still, getting to hear a well recorded excerpt from an opera on Stellavox SP8 through Micro Seiki ( Stax built ) electrostatic headphones in late 70s at our electronics fair planted the desire to do something along those lines in the future.

Enjoy your tapes - perched somewhere where H20, even under most unfavourable conditions, can not get acces to them.

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #8,606 of 19,142
A have a friend who has a recording studio built into his basement, and all his recording work is originated on R2R.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #8,607 of 19,142
I'd really like to get a vintage receiver because I'm trying to get back in to vinyl. I have a giant 1972 RCA console player that works just fine but it's turntable definitely leaves something to be desired, great sound though. So, a vintage receiver I could run my headphones with and setup a nice vinyl system would be ideal. Hurray for built in phono preamps.

My issue is that I'm worried about being a vintage receiver I'll needing to re-cap it or something similar. I can work on computers just fine, but soldering irons give me the willies.

Does anyone know of places that sell restored vintage receivers or anything similar? Also, price wise I'd like to keep it under $400 but willing to stretch up in to $500 dollar range if it was really nice.  

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #8,608 of 19,142
The receivers that have already been fully restored/recapped that you see on eBay are typically the higher end ones. You might have better luck subscribing at AudioKarma and cruising Barter Town.

The other way to go is to go to local estate/garage sales and monitor Craigslist and look for a local bargain, and then not worry too much if it doesn't last forever.

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #8,609 of 19,142
Quote:
I'd really like to get a vintage receiver because I'm trying to get back in to vinyl. I have a giant 1972 RCA console player that works just fine but it's turntable definitely leaves something to be desired, great sound though. So, a vintage receiver I could run my headphones with and setup a nice vinyl system would be ideal. Hurray for built in phono preamps.

My issue is that I'm worried about being a vintage receiver I'll needing to re-cap it or something similar. I can work on computers just fine, but soldering irons give me the willies.

Does anyone know of places that sell restored vintage receivers or anything similar? Also, price wise I'd like to keep it under $400 but willing to stretch up in to $500 dollar range if it was really nice.  

In your price range, I'd look on ebay for a sony STR-6065, 6055, 6025, 6125.
IMHO, that model series is my second favorite sounding receiver ever, very neutral and immensely overbuilt and detailed for it's output. It was so nearly almost as good sounding as my SX-1980 that I was annoyed by how good it was, haha. You can get a fully restored one in your price range for sure, and they pop up every week or so. They are fairly common and ship well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back