Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #8,056 of 19,143
Quote:
I'm trying to picture the Quads in a dorm room. No room for desks I guess 
beerchug.gif

I was tight - but the sound was awesome!

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #8,057 of 19,143
Quote:
Quote:
Had a SAE 2400L for many years.  My college roomate and I used it to drive his Quad ESLs.  Feeding the amp was a DB systems pre-amp.  Best stereo in the dorms.

I'm trying to picture the Quads in a dorm room. No room for desks I guess 
beerchug.gif

wink_face.gif
 These are the pix I wanna see! How 'bout it, 'SpeakerBox,' any archived photographs available for the thread?
popcorn.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #8,058 of 19,143
No pics of the quads.  I think my old roomate still has them though - has re-paneled them a couple of times.  They can be fragile.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #8,059 of 19,143
Wow!  There are some really drool-worthy pieces in this thread.  In my own modest set up, I have a Marantz 2270 and a Meridian 506 worked in, as well as a few older tube amps.

I'd love to replace more pieces with great vintage gear, if time and money allow....

Cheers!

Frank

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #8,063 of 19,143
Uh oh. Trouble in paradise. I need some help guys. After getting the Sansui integrated to my dac and pre-amp, I check over all the settings on the front of the receiver...I noticed that the "mono" button was engaged...I toggled it to the off position. Now there is almost no sound coming from the left channel. just some VERY slight noise coming from the left side (sounds distorted though). 

Now I'm thinking that the receiver was broken when I got it and that I just didn't noticed the problem with stereo because I didn't engage that button when I was testing it.

How bad is this?  Help...

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #8,064 of 19,143
That is a classic symptom of there being a problem with the Dolby board, which as I mentioned is often a problem with that model. You can try spraying the Dolby selector switch with deoxit and repeatedly working it through its rotation. While you are at it, do the same with the stereo/mono button if you can get to it (you have to take the top off and get to the actual control mechanism with the deoxit).

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #8,065 of 19,143
^^ 
size]

size]

I guess that I learned a painful lesson. I'll try your suggestion Skylab. I went from on top of the world to the pit of despair in about two minutes. 

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #8,066 of 19,143
Worth reading : http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1066850 (and the subsequent posts)

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #8,067 of 19,143
^^ Noted and appreciated Skylab. At your direction I've worked through all the control knobs and switches manually about a dozen or more times for each one. And what did I get for my effort? Anything change at all? Well...YES IT DID. 
size]
 I now have sound coming from both channels in stereo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't often say this, but to Skylab, "I love you man." 
size]

It seems that the trick was working the dolby control knob. Once it loosened up I got sound immediately. I will follow up with deoxit.  (whew...breathes huge sigh of relief). 

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #8,068 of 19,143
Excellent! Thanks great news. Often the issue is just oxidation in the controls, especially in that problematic Dolby board.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #8,070 of 19,143
Quote:
^^ Noted and appreciated Skylab. At your direction I've worked through all the control knobs and switches manually about a dozen or more times for each one. And what did I get for my effort? Anything change at all? Well...YES I DID. 
size]
 I now have sound coming from both channels in stereo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't often say this, but to Skylab, "I love you man." 
size]

It seems that the trick was working the dolby control knob. Once it loosened up I got sound immediately. I will follow up with deoxit.  (whew...breathes huge sigh of relief). 

I had this same problem on an a receiver last week.  It worked in mono and the right channel failed in stereo.  I treated the mono/stereo switch with DeoxIt, worked it in, and all is well.  I had the same sense of relief that you are feeling now.  Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back