Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #7,201 of 19,143
Ratings for recievers have changed over the years,  A rating of 45 watts on a vintage reciever means 45 watts per channnel RMS.   A rating of 500 watts on a modern reciever means 500 watts PEAK power spread out over 5 (or howevermany) channels.  I will let other people answer the rest of the questions.

May 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #7,202 of 19,143
Well that's good info for me, always nice to know of a Chicago person who might do some work for me. I've been sending my Pioneer stuff to a guy in Ohio, who does great work, but the shipping is stressful and expensive.

A Pioneer guy eh? Do you have experience with an integrated like the A-60? I bought one several weeks ago but have yet to set it up.

May 14, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #7,203 of 19,143
Damn I replace the fuse lights on my harman kardon 670 and now they don't work. I opened it up and saw there is like 8 friggen lights and one is not burned out so I turn it on to see and the last one turns on but went out. With new ones in the lights do not come on. Any ideas?

May 14, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #7,204 of 19,143
Quote:
Damn I replace the fuse lights on my harman kardon 670 and now they don't work. I opened it up and saw there is like 8 friggen lights and one is not burned out so I turn it on to see and the last one turns on but went out. With new ones in the lights do not come on. Any ideas?

I gave up. for some reason everything above the power button lost power (tuner, buttons etc) on top of that the twine on the tuner spindle came off and I cannot get it back to the way it was... and everything is extremely hard to get to and it just pisses me off so I'll just take it to a vintage repair place. who would have thought replacing simple fuse lamps would be such a hassle 
mad.gif

May 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #7,205 of 19,143
Hey guys, quick question about the Marantz 2230. How do you guys thing it would pair with HE-500 and LCD-2? Will the amp make the sound too smooth and slow? 

Also, what do you guys think is a fair price for this, especially if the seller is claiming that it was: serviced, had replaced lights, some caps, relays, switches & defuser

Just a rough estimation zone on how much this unit usually goes for and with these possible updates, what the price should be? I am new to the vintage scene and have seen prices for pieces all over the place, so any help would be great.

Also, I currently use the Emotiva Mini-x-a-100 off the speaker taps to run both the planar. Anyone with experience on how the sound might differ between the Emotiva and 2230.

Lastly with speaker taps on Emotiva, I've been using a banana plugs to female XLR adapter that I leaved plugged into the amp, into which I connect the balanced cable for the headphones. I see that these vintage amps didn't have banana plug outputs. Any quick solution on how I could use my current stuff with the Marantz?

May 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #7,206 of 19,143
A banana to spade adapter would prolly do the trick:

http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Banana-Adapter-Speaker-Connector/dp/B006Z8NE18

May 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #7,207 of 19,143
The marantz 2230 like most vintage receivers(not all) don't have the spade/screw on connector. The only thing you can use other than bare wire is speaker pin connectors. So I would suggest either remove the banana plugs, or replace them with speaker pin connectors if you want to use the pigtail with the 2230.

May 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #7,208 of 19,143
Quote:
The marantz 2230 like most vintage receivers(not all) don't have the spade/screw on connector. The only thing you can use other than bare wire is speaker pin connectors. So I would suggest either remove the banana plugs, or replace them with speaker pin connectors if you want to use the pigtail with the 2230.

What about something like this: http://www.smarthome.com/48801/Ethereal-Home-Theater-BTIP-Female-Banana-Plug-Pin-Adapter-Set-5-Pack/p.aspx

With speakers, I always go hard wire, so that's not a problem. I only prefer the banana connectors for headphones for quick switching.

Also how are the headphone jack power in these amps? Not too sure about how much attenuation, if any happens over the headphone output. Will they be able to drive something like HE-500 or LCD-2 from the headphone jack provided or is it too low and I must use the speaker taps.

May 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #7,210 of 19,143
Whoops, they have the spring-loaded terminals, I forgot
redface.gif

May 15, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #7,211 of 19,143
What about something like this: http://www.smarthome.com/48801/Ethereal-Home-Theater-BTIP-Female-Banana-Plug-Pin-Adapter-Set-5-Pack/p.aspx

With speakers, I always go hard wire, so that's not a problem. I only prefer the banana connectors for headphones for quick switching.

Also how are the headphone jack power in these amps? Not too sure about how much attenuation, if any happens over the headphone output. Will they be able to drive something like HE-500 or LCD-2 from the headphone jack provided or is it too low and I must use the speaker taps.

If I remember correctly, the headphone jack is direct power from the amp and could drive a truck let alone the HE and LCD.

May 15, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #7,212 of 19,143
Quote:
If I remember correctly, the headphone jack is direct power from the amp and could drive a truck let alone the HE and LCD.

Is it for this model alone or also true for other vintage models as well, on average? So little power decrease from the headphone jack or completely unhindered?

May 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #7,213 of 19,143
Quote:
Is it for this model alone or also true for other vintage models as well, on average? So little power decrease from the headphone jack or completely unhindered?

I believe it's the same for all.  My Kenwoods sound amazing out of the headphone jack.  I don't even have speakers hooked up to them...............yes, plural, as I now have two clones. 

May 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #7,214 of 19,143
Hey guys, quick question about the Marantz 2230. How do you guys thing it would pair with HE-500 and LCD-2? Will the amp make the sound too smooth and slow? 

Also, what do you guys think is a fair price for this, especially if the seller is claiming that it was: serviced, had replaced lights, some caps, relays, switches & defuser

Just a rough estimation zone on how much this unit usually goes for and with these possible updates, what the price should be? I am new to the vintage scene and have seen prices for pieces all over the place, so any help would be great.

Also, I currently use the Emotiva Mini-x-a-100 off the speaker taps to run both the planar. Anyone with experience on how the sound might differ between the Emotiva and 2230.

Lastly with speaker taps on Emotiva, I've been using a banana plugs to female XLR adapter that I leaved plugged into the amp, into which I connect the balanced cable for the headphones. I see that these vintage amps didn't have banana plug outputs. Any quick solution on how I could use my current stuff with the Marantz?

I had the 2230 before trading it for a mint Sansui Eight. Lcd2.2 and HE500 sound great. Not slow at all.
Both of these headphones should have about 2 watts available from the headphone out for the best SQ and head room. I'm guessing that including the dropping resistor, the hedaphone out of the 2230 is pushing around 2 watts max for these 2 phones. The impedance of my he500 was 46 ohms and similar for the lcd. In short, give it a try! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. BTW my 2230 was fully recapped.

May 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #7,215 of 19,143
Quote:
I believe it's the same for all.  My Kenwoods sound amazing out of the headphone jack.  I don't even have speakers hooked up to them...............yes, plural, as I now have two clones. 

Nice to know, just in case I can't get the 2230s. Any other suggestions for back up that typically come up and sound good with planars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back