Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #7,171 of 19,145
Quote:
Well I found in the space of four days two KA-5700's on my local Craigslist board! Bought them both for a combined $210 - worth every penny to me. The second shop had about 12 or so vintage receivers, mostly Marantz and Kenwood. A veritable candy store........

Was the second one Audio Specialties? If you haven't been there I both recommend and don't recommend you go. Too much nice, vintage stuff that is very tempting.

For those of you who had your amps/receivers recapped by a stereo repair shop, would you be willing to share how much that cost you, or maybe a range? I finally opened the Sansui 8080db I have and was going to use some contact cleaner on switches and rotary controls but when I got the cover off I discovered that those controls are further inside than I'm willing to go. I don't want to start removing pieces and have something fall off or a tuning string unwind or something like that happen. 

There is very little crackling when I move the knobs anyway so I don't think it's worth the risk. 

May 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #7,172 of 19,145
Was the second one Audio Specialties? If you haven't been there I both recommend and don't recommend you go. Too much nice, vintage stuff that is very tempting.

For those of you who had your amps/receivers recapped by a stereo repair shop, would you be willing to share how much that cost you, or maybe a range? I finally opened the Sansui 8080db I have and was going to use some contact cleaner on switches and rotary controls but when I got the cover off I discovered that those controls are further inside than I'm willing to go. I don't want to start removing pieces and have something fall off or a tuning string unwind or something like that happen. 

There is very little crackling when I move the knobs anyway so I don't think it's worth the risk. 

I think $300-$500 is pretty typical for a full recap. I was quoted $400 to recap a Sansui Eight Deluxe.

May 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #7,173 of 19,145
A price range on a full-recap is something I've been wondering about with my Sansui. But the tech says he needs to get up in there first. Then check prices and stuff. A ballpark figure would have been fine... I even said 
rolleyes.gif
as much. A few weeks later and I'm still in suspense.

May 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #7,174 of 19,145
Quote:

He tipped me off to her late last year, and I have to agree. Music is damn fine as well.

A "wotts" sighting... great! As summer nears, wonder where you're at right now with changes inside the listening room. Any new vintage iron? I wonder if the cat in Motown ever moved that big block G33000...

May 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #7,175 of 19,145
Quote:

A "wotts" sighting... great! As summer nears, wonder where you're at right now with changes inside the listening room. Any new vintage iron? I wonder if the cat in Motown ever moved that big block G33000...

I've moved my Genesis Digital Lens and one of the Aleph 3 power amps to make room for a new toy, but thus far, haven't figured out what one I want. I've been working on rebuilding the crossovers from the vintage speakers and am getting parts lists together for recapping the three vintage receivers I have.

I think the G33000 is gone, I can't find it anymore.

May 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #7,176 of 19,145

No, it wasn't Audio Specialties, and till you wrote that I didn't know they existed. Damn you.

Now I have to go there.........it's about 15 minutes away from me............not good. :D

Actually, thanks for the tip.

May 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #7,178 of 19,145
SX-1980 recap (and full restore, as there are other things that have to be done) is $575 without the main filter caps, and $850 including them. Given the massiveness and complexity of the 1980, I would say that's the absolutely upper limit of what a full recap/restore would ever cost.

May 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #7,179 of 19,145
Thanks, Skylab. All things considered - what one's got and what one gets in return, not bad. At least, if I'm keeping my iron anyway...

May 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #7,180 of 19,145
I'm DIYing a full recap on a Pioneer SX-636 now.  Also replacing 10-12 problematic transistors.  Cost of parts ~$35.  My time will probably be 10-12 hours max.

May 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #7,183 of 19,145
Quote:
Well I found in the space of four days two KA-5700's on my local Craigslist board! Bought them both for a combined $210 - worth every penny to me. The second shop had about 12 or so vintage receivers, mostly Marantz and Kenwood. A veritable candy store........

I live in Oregon too. Oregon coast though. what shop?!?!?!?!?!?!? I saw there was a KA-5700 on CL in Parkrose I think, that was $150... did this shop have a Kenwood Model Eleven? I was in Waldport at a junk store and they had a great shape Pioneer ES-2000 TT and the 4-Ch matrix receiver (no speakers though) 

May 13, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #7,184 of 19,145
I live in Oregon too. Oregon coast though. what shop?!?!?!?!?!?!? I saw there was a KA-5700 on CL in Parkrose I think, that was $150... did this shop have a Kenwood Model Eleven? I was in Waldport at a junk store and they had a great shape Pioneer ES-2000 TT and the 4-Ch matrix receiver (no speakers though) 

It was in Clackamas, was listed for $150 and I got it for $120. Place called Stuff on 82nd. Don't think they had a Kenwood model 11 but I can't say for sure. Next time I'm in there you want me to check?

May 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #7,185 of 19,145
@ harrinj

If you really want a Kenwoon model 11, I'd check out the one on Eugene craigslist. I saw the unit and it's really nice. $260 is a great price for a fully functioning model eleven thats been gone thru by a tech. I'd be all over it if I had a place to put it and my significant other didn't think I was already crazy. Jeff is a very cool guy and might be inclined to show you some of his extremely cool vintage gear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back