Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #6,526 of 19,143
Quote:

I did sign up for a recap from a guy called "I Rebuild Marantz" who has since been quite heavily panned on another forum.  I'm hoping he'll get to me... eventually.

I don't know if i'd send it to that guy.
I'd try Catrafter, you can find him through google, or Echowars or Paul Hovenga at Many Moons Audio
i've just read too many sketchy things about iRebuildMarantz

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #6,527 of 19,143
Hi, as you know I recently have bought a  s*ansui 331...
today I planned to buy speaker for my receiver and I saw this "sansui 5500" in the shop

http://uploadtak.com/images/q3912_san5500.jpg

the price was 1000$...
what is your idea about this price?
I don't know if the quality  of  this receiver  is as the same of mine or not; I use  its radio most of the time... 

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #6,528 of 19,143
That's a QRX-5500, a Quad receiver.  It's not worth more than $200 USD, in my opinion, and even then it should be working perfectly.  $1,000 is not even close to a fair market price.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #6,530 of 19,143
Quote:
 If you can get away with not using it, well, remember the Law of Analog: the fewer active stages between source and speaker, the lower the likelihood that degradation will occur; ie, simpler is better. This is especially true if the parts quality is not top notch.

This is my finding. I am using the DAC (Emotiva XDA-1) directly into a power amp and it works very well. A big improvement over going through the Yamaha C-70 I had previously, which is a fine preamplifier.

I will also be receiving a Harman Kardon HK 730, which I suspect will also be a good performer having owned the 430. One of these will be set up as a headphone only rig (on a cart!).

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #6,531 of 19,143
what speakers are they?
If they are Sansui speakers with a woofer nearly as wide as the cabinet and a bunch of other mid/treble drivers i'd steer clear of those as well unless they are very cheap

the price on that sansui 5500 is way high.  Even if it was NOS its still way high in my opinion.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #6,532 of 19,143
Quote:

This is my finding. I am using the DAC (Emotiva XDA-1) directly into a power amp and it works very well. A big improvement over going through the Yamaha C-70 I had previously, which is a fine preamplifier.

I will also be receiving a Harman Kardon HK 730, which I suspect will also be a good performer having owned the 430. One of these will be set up as a headphone only rig (on a cart!).

I agree completely that lessening the number of stages seems to improve the sound.  I think this is why I like some of the lower powered Sherwood and Marantz receivers so much (I also use the analog bypass mode in my NAD M15 when driving my Jeff Roland Model 1's - it is just a pass through with a volume control).  Of course with the aforementioned receivers, I won't be listening at the SPL levels that some of you SX-1250/SX-1980 owners are accustom to.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #6,533 of 19,143
Quote:
what speakers are they?
If they are Sansui speakers with a woofer nearly as wide as the cabinet and a bunch of other mid/treble drivers i'd steer clear of those as well unless they are very cheap

the price on that sansui 5500 is way high.  Even if it was NOS its still way high in my opinion.

Yeah, frankly, anyone who prices that receiver like that would make me very suspicious of any price they had on anything...

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #6,534 of 19,143
Quote:
I've got several vintage Marantz units here, and they've all had as little as possible done to make them work.

I did sign up for a recap from a guy called "I Rebuild Marantz" who has since been quite heavily panned on another forum.  I'm hoping he'll get to me... eventually.  

If you are in need of Marantz repairs do at least contact Jef @ AbraxasAudio, from what I know he used to work for Superscope/Marantz and is an UBER DIY guy nowadays, quite often he has new board replacements on th'bay for the Marantz also.( forget which exact part it was that was not generally up to snuff.. ) really thorough and I would feel safe with his service. My two cents and unaffilitated of course.

Vaughn good to see you . How are those silver custom T50rp treating you ? Would love an update if you were so inclined in the big thread.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #6,535 of 19,143
To follow up on my previous post,  I recieved the 2245 in the post and everything works!  All inputs, all outputs - it does need some deoxit love, but I will do that when I get the new lamps for it.  It also needs new feet, and a thorough cleaning, but I knew all these things upon purchase.  I will post a pic when she looks prettier,  it's kinda emberassing right now :frowning2:

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #6,536 of 19,143
hey guys, i did a search in this thread for a Marantz SR1000 but it came back negative. so does anyone know about them? i have a chance at one local to me so if someone could help me that would be super.

heres a linky to it.....http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/marantz-vintage-reciever/2612789

this price seems fairly high though, although im sure he expects a fair bit of haggling.

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #6,537 of 19,143
I don't believe these are considered to be "vintage" Marantz receivers and have also read that they are not held in as high regard as the 22xx/23xx series.  That said I have not heard on either - so I could be wrong.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #6,539 of 19,143
So, I am a life long audiophile who has never had a good pair of headphones (embarrassing isn't it?).  Anyway I am looking for advice from this group as to what you would recommend to use in conjunction with a low power vintage Sherwood 7100A or Marantz 2220B receiver (15 to 20 watts max)?  I don't need to listen at high levels - but would like clean, accurate, and detailed sound.  Thanks in advance.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #6,540 of 19,143
Quote:
what speakers are they?

Just a quick quip on the subject of Sansui speakers - I have a Pair of JBL L100's and a pair of Sansui SP5500x speakers that I run with my Kenwood KR-9600. Listening with the same source back to back, I think the Sansui speakers are at least as good, if not a tiny bit better than the L100's (though maybe not aesthetically, haha). The Sansuis are less tune-able, but the default options aren't bad. The Sansuis have a better midrange, and a very good comparable high end, but the L100 has a warmer low range - which can be good or bad depending on the music/input.
Disclaimer - I haven't gotten any of this equipment serviced, so I couldn't say the differences aren't because of treatment by previous owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back