Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #5,251 of 19,142
I guess the 890 is a black-dial SX-880. In that case, the $500 they are asking for it seems a bit steep. They do provide a detailed list of what was done to it, and they did do quite a bit of work, but not a complete recap.

SX-880's seem to run $200-250 in good condition these days, although you can get them cheaper.

Just food for thought.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #5,252 of 19,142
Quote:
I guess the 890 is a black-dial SX-880. In that case, the $500 they are asking for it seems a bit steep. They do provide a detailed list of what was done to it, and they did do quite a bit of work, but not a complete recap.
SX-880's seem to run $200-250 in good condition these days, although you can get them cheaper.
Just food for thought.

Thank you for that. :) 
I'm out till I do more digging of my own. Gonna lurk for more pretty pictures ha.

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #5,253 of 19,142
Well this is a bit awkward. My neighbor right across the street lost his water last week(we use wells here) and we helped them out. Apparently my dad and him were talking and it came out that I've been messing with vintage receivers and such. He has 2 old Pioneers sitting around that haven't seen use in years. One was practically new and the other had been struck by lightning and died a few weeks later. When I got a chance to talk to him he didn't know the model of either so I was assuming it would be something like my dad's SX-6 as in 80s gear. We didn't really get to into it, him being without water and my dad having some experience with well maintenance(family business, but my dad was never really involved)

Turns out I'm now the new owner of a Pioneer SX-780, which is awkward because I ordered a new receiver(Sherwood S-7800) a few days ago. Man these things really do start taking over your house. You say you'll only have one but they're already starting to stack up. :p I'll find out tomorrow if it's the unused backup amp or the dead one, but It doesn't sound like the one that was struck by lightning took too much damage. It's most likely just a blown fuse. He said it made popping noises for a bit and now it won't turn on at all.

Assuming I've got the working one I'll do some comparisons when the new Sherwood shows up, A US amp, a Japanese amp, and a US amp made in Japan. Or if you want to go by years, late 60s, early 70s, and mid 70s. Almost makes me wish I had some speakers to try em out with. Won't be a fair comparison with my old Sherwood failing, and the uncertain condition of the Pioneer but I'll mostly be comparing them for the fun of it, no clue what I'll be doing with the Pioneer at this stage.

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #5,254 of 19,142
Jumping back a couple pages....not sure who to quote re: using electrostatics w/ energizers, but I'll weigh in.

I'm running a recently acquired pair of Koss ESP/9's with the E9 energizer. Coming off my re-capped Hitachi IA-1000 they sound very good.

Still have some modding to do the cans, but have already cleaned out the old foam and restored the driver boards in the cups.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #5,255 of 19,142
Listening to my Sennheiser HD580s out of the Pioneer SA-6500's headphone jack...wow
basshead.gif
 It really blows my Little Dot MKIII out of the water. I'm seriously considering selling it.

The sad thing is the Little Dot set me back $260. The Pioneer integrated cost me $35. 
confused_face.gif
 I wish I'd known about vintage receivers earlier, haha

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #5,256 of 19,142
There's no substitute for cubic inches, whether it's torque for car engines or "headroom" power for headphones, even if on paper it looks like sheer overkill. Somehow it comes in handy.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #5,257 of 19,142
There's no substitute for cubic inches, whether it's torque for car engines or "headroom" power for headphones, even if on paper it looks like sheer overkill. Somehow it comes in handy.

Truer words were never spoken.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #5,258 of 19,142
Hey, Ive stumbled upon these Marantz MR215 which I found in my father's closet. Are these good? Im still on a learning mode and I still dont have enough knowledge to understand the specs. Im currently using this as my headphone amp and it is pretty good, it powered my headphones up nicely. Someone from my country wants to trade these to a Pioneer VSX D510-S.

Here is the specs for the vintage Marantz MR215:
http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/334/1597.html?begin=11

The Pioneer VSX D510-S:
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/5369766/Pioneer+VSX+D510+Audio

I just want to hear your opinions on these, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. 
atsmile.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #5,259 of 19,142
Crap I'm falling in love with vintage gear.... the only problem being I'm pretty much spending $200 on shipping If I do buy anything from the US, and then I need a transformer

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #5,260 of 19,142
Quote:
Crap I'm falling in love with vintage gear.... the only problem being I'm pretty much spending $200 on shipping If I do buy anything from the US, and then I need a transformer

Depends. My SX-1980 runs straight from a switchable socket. I would recommend buying 1000va step down transformers. Just because you can run two amps at the same time from the same transformer. SA runs at 220/230 I believe?

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #5,261 of 19,142
Quote:
Crap I'm falling in love with vintage gear.... 

Not ignoring the frustration of the shipping obstacle and the mains-voltage obstacle, but this phrase suggested to my diseased mind the lyrics to a [failed] Broadway musical about audiophile addiction. "Craaaaaaap!.... I'm faaaal-ling in love with vinnnn-tage geeeeeear.. Oh nooooo....Not a-gaaaaainnnnn.."

Sorry. As you were.

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #5,262 of 19,142
Also, if you look around, you will see vintage gear being sold in the US that has line voltage switching capabilities and will run at all common voltages.  Example:  http://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/pio/SX9930.html

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #5,263 of 19,142
Quote:

We live in the wrong hemisphere for audio, but I would have thought that the UK would be a better source for South Africans ? Not sure about Europe - anyone ?

(I get a little warm under the collar when someone bitches that there are no 'hi-fi stores' in their corner of Pennsylvania, having personally endured over 7 hours on a plane to check out audio in Singapore. Dont even get me started on how blindingly fast delivery is for CONUS customers over the rest of us .....)

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #5,264 of 19,142
Quote:
Hey, Ive stumbled upon these Marantz MR215 which I found in my father's closet. Are these good? Im still on a learning mode and I still dont have enough knowledge to understand the specs. Im currently using this as my headphone amp and it is pretty good, it powered my headphones up nicely. Someone from my country wants to trade these to a Pioneer VSX D510-S.

Here is the specs for the vintage Marantz MR215:
http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/334/1597.html?begin=11

The Pioneer VSX D510-S:
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/5369766/Pioneer+VSX+D510+Audio

I just want to hear your opinions on these, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. 
atsmile.gif

if it were me I'd keep the Marantz, if not simply for the classiness of it. Where will you ever find another Marantz like that again? The other thing looks like a K-mart VCR and has no tactile dials, looks like plastic, too many options and little digital junk. The internal components are important too. Good luck fixing that one.   But that's just my opinion. Maybe it's good. It does have more power, but the sound and will it last as long as the Marantz ( it sure won't retain it's value the same ) who knows.

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #5,265 of 19,142
Quote:
if it were me I'd keep the Marantz, if not simply for the classiness of it. Where will you ever find another Marantz like that again? The other thing looks like a K-mart VCR and has no tactile dials, looks like plastic, too many options and little digital junk. The internal components are important too. Good luck fixing that one.   But that's just my opinion. Maybe it's good. It does have more power, but the sound and will it last as long as the Marantz ( it sure won't retain it's value the same ) who knows.

Yeah I think I'll keep the Marantz. I don't really have problems with it and is actually performing surprisingly good. I guess I just needed someone to punch my face and tell me to keep the vintage Marantz. I thank you for that. 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back