Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #2,536 of 19,142

Quote:
LOL!   I can't find the thread! I'm useless.  Better post a link.

rolleyes.gif
Did you check the dots?

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2,537 of 19,142
Do I have to have an integrated/receiver, or can I post a component system? :)

The EQ, dynamic range expander, and reverb aren't actually hooked up in the signal path. They're just there for show (though they do work). The other two compoents are the Pioneer SPEC-1 Preamp and SPEC-4 Amp. The amp has been completely rebuilt and is actually better than original specs now, thanks to improved caps and resistors. Next, it's the preamp's turn. :)

The sound quality is actually fanstastic with speakers (I use Marantz HD-880's); it's far better than anything modern at the same price, that's for sure. But unfortunately, there's something going on with the headphone jack that's holding that part back. Most likely the wires are a bit corroded.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #2,539 of 19,142
Beautiful setup.

As much as I like modern gear (and, hey, I do think a lot of it is fantastic), there's definitely something lacking in the status lights and visual effects.

Status light design peaked some time in the late 70s. There was some great light-show stuff in the early 70s, like the O-scope displays that Marantz and Heathkit sold. But for the casual esthetic of "Oh yeah, here's a throbbing thing that implies something is happening," the late 70s/early 80s wins.

Once LEDs came to town, everybody slapped in some variation on the same bar display, and that's nice for what it is, but, except for some occasional flourishes, there wasn't a whole lot of free-form inventiveness any more.

My inner 13 year old remembers that Pioneer reverb unit's light show from visits to the electronics store, and thought it was awesome. He still wants one.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #2,540 of 19,142
Manyak that is a beautiful system. Very, very nice. That Spec stuff has a terrific reputation. I hope to hear some someday.

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #2,541 of 19,142
Quote:
Beautiful setup.

As much as I like modern gear (and, hey, I do think a lot of it is fantastic), there's definitely something lacking in the status lights and visual effects.

Status light design peaked some time in the late 70s. There was some great light-show stuff in the early 70s, like the O-scope displays that Marantz and Heathkit sold. But for the casual esthetic of "Oh yeah, here's a throbbing thing that implies something is happening," the late 70s/early 80s wins.

Once LEDs came to town, everybody slapped in some variation on the same bar display, and that's nice for what it is, but, except for some occasional flourishes, there wasn't a whole lot of free-form inventiveness any more.

My inner 13 year old remembers that Pioneer reverb unit's light show from visits to the electronics store, and thought it was awesome. He still wants one.

Agreed. It's not just the lights either IMO - there's something about huge blocks of aluminum with tons of knobs and switches that just makes it look and feel like a serious piece of equipment...not just a box that you connect wires to with a million and a half meaningless (and sometimes even detrimental) features that you can't even remember the names of. I mean, can you even tell me offhand what MCACC stands for?
tongue.gif

I do miss having a remote though
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Manyak that is a beautiful system. Very, very nice. That Spec stuff has a terrific reputation. I hope to hear some someday.

Thanks!

It's not like, some super-amazing out of this world system, it's just really good for what you pay. I'd say that it's about equal to components that cost $1000-$1500 each, but you're only paying a receiver's price.

In fact, I've got a receiver in the same room that cost only ~$100 less than these components when it was new (Pioneer VSX-23TXH), and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good. The SPEC system more detailed and more 'full-bodied'. For example, you can actually hear the timbre of everything from bass drums to violins with the SPEC system, but you can't with the VSX.

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #2,542 of 19,142
I do want to add a note about driving the HE-6 with the Marantz 2240.  

The 2240 headphone jack is not as powerful as Skylab's 2275 which he uses to drive his HE-6, and I've been driving my HE-6 most of the time with the HE-impedance adapter on the speaker outputs.  I've not tried the HE-6 directly from the speaker outputs without the adapter, like I've done with my 55 watt Yamaha.   With the Yamaha amp and no impedance adapter the HE-6 are a little more mids-centric and slightly less warm sounding.  I prefer the Marantz with adapter for the HE-6, with it's warmer but more open and spacious sound.

With the Marantz volume at about 11 o'clock I get the same volume as with my Eddie Current ZDT at 3 o'clock, and the sound is very strong and transparent with both amps.  Just like with the HD-800, the 2240 shouldn't sound this good for such a budget piece of gear - it's not up to the level of my ZDT but it's not as far behind as you'd expect.  The ZDT is more refined and spacious sounding, with better micro-detail, but the Marantz can probably offer an extra 3-4 dB more headroom than the ZDT at high volumes.  I don't think I can get past about 1 o'clock without some distortion, which I expect is the amp/adapter combo and not the headphones, because the Yamaha without the adapter can go even louder (using a banana>XLR adapter made by HiFlight).

I have not tried the HD-800 or HF-2 via the impedance adapter, because they already sound so good via the 2240 headphone jack.

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #2,544 of 19,142

Quote:
Wualta:  Thanks for the pics and the nice story behind these vintage headphones and amps. Turns out the AT-706s look downright classy compared to the AT-7s...The 706s you posted was the headphone I saw at the meet.  Maybe someday the owner will show up again and I'll have myself a listen...

You're quite welcome. Old 'stats remind us of the struggle of the '70s to produce a decent-sounding headphone using whatever principle seemed to hold the most promise. I'm pretty sure the owner of the 706 you heard calls himself Dr. Strangelove.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #2,545 of 19,142
Larry, has your 2240 been re-capped? Has the bias and dc-offset been checked? I ask because there may be more performance to be extracted of your 2240. I have a 2238B and I use a pigtail straight from the speaker outs to drive a K1000, Stax Energizer, or the HE6. Just a wonderful sound.

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #2,547 of 19,142
Hi,

long time reader first time poster, I finally finished reading through all the posts in this thread and must say, up until I came across it, I thought I was the only person using a vintage pioneer receiver (sx-939) as a dedicated daily headphone driver.  Using a laptop running strictly flac and other high end audio files through the receiver and my favorite flavor of cans for the month the sound is phenomenal.

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #2,549 of 19,142

Quote:
Hi,

long time reader first time poster, I finally finished reading through all the posts in this thread and must say, up until I came across it, I thought I was the only person using a vintage pioneer receiver (sx-939) as a dedicated daily headphone driver.  Using a laptop running strictly flac and other high end audio files through the receiver and my favorite flavor of cans for the month the sound is phenomenal.

Welcome, vintage is my new world. I buy vintage everything
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2,550 of 19,142
I'm thinking about getting a vintage receiver for my Sony DR-Z6 and possibly LCD-2/Magnepans further down the road. Is the Mirantz 2240 and similar variants simply the best one to get or are there others?

I scoured ebay this evening and found a few really nice looking and cheap units...

• Sony STR-3800
• Sony STR-4800SD
• SONY STR 6036A
• Sony STR-6045
• Sony STR-6055
• Sansui 300
• Sansui 350A
• KENWOOD KR 2400
• KENWOOD KR-5600
• LAFAYETTE LR-200
• ROTEL RX-152
• YAMAHA CR-820