Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 16, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #796 of 19,143

Quote:
Thanks Jose...but I have almost NO space where I have my vintage rig.  That's why I am using the B&W N805's there.  In my big rig, where I have the N800's, I could have anything (the N800's weigh 375 lbs each!).  But I have NO interest in replacing the N800.  I wouldn't mind something else for the N805 in the vintage rig, but it cannot be big.

What do you think if the Heresy?

Rob,
The footprint of the Heresy is very close if not the same as the Forte. In my opinion I would buy the Forte. 
When I was going to buy my first pair of Klipsch back in the mid 80s they were just offering the Heresy and then jump all the way to the Cornwall. At that moment I was not able to afford the Cornwall and even that the Heresy sounded very good they were bass shy to my taste and never bought 100% into them. I always thought if they just make another one with the same drivers but a bigger box to increase bass would be perfect. About 6 months later they announced the Forte and I bought the first pair that arrived at my dealer.

Here are the specs of the Forte:

[size=1.6em] Specifications[/size]

[tr] [td]
FREQUENCY RESPONSE​
[/td] [td] 32Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
POWER HANDLING​
[/td] [td] 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
SENSITIVITY​
[/td] [td] 98dB @ 1watt/1meter[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE​
[/td] [td] 8 ohms[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY​
[/td] [td] HF 6,000 Hz
LF 700 Hz
[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
TWEETER​
[/td] [td] K-75-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN​
[/td] [td] 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
MIDRANGE​
[/td] [td] K-53-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
MID FREQUENCY HORN​
[/tr] [tr] [td]
WOOFER​
[/td] [td] K-23 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone active / KD-13 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone passive[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL​
[/td] [td] Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
ENCLOSURE TYPE​
[/td] [td] Bass reflex via passive radiator[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
DIMENSIONS​
[/td] [td] 35.4" (89.92cm) x 16.5" (41.91cm) x 12" (30.48cm)[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
WEIGHT​
[/td] [td] 56 lbs. (25.4kg)[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
FINISHES​
[/td] [td] Walnut Oil, Walnut Lacquer, Oak Oil, Oak Lacquer, Finished Black[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
BUILT FROM​
[/td] [td] 1985[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
BUILT UNTIL​
[/td] [td] 1989[/td]
[/tr]

Here are the specs of the Heresy:

[size=1.6em] Specifications[/size]

[tr] [td]
FREQUENCY RESPONSE​
[/td] [td] 50Hz-17kHz(+-)5dB[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
POWER HANDLING​
[/td] [td] 105 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
SENSITIVITY​
[/td] [td] 96dB @ 1watt/1meter[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE​
[/td] [td] 8 ohms[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
TWEETER​
[/td] [td] K-77-M 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN​
[/tr] [tr] [td]
MIDRANGE​
[/td] [td] K-55-V 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
MID FREQUENCY HORN​
[/td] [td] 80(o)x30(o) Exponential Horn[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
WOOFER​
[/td] [td] K-22 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL​
[/td] [td] Birch Plywood or Veneered Lumbercore[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
ENCLOSURE TYPE​
[/td] [td] Sealed[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
DIMENSIONS​
[/td] [td] 21.4" (54.36cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.2" (33.53cm)[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
WEIGHT​
[/td] [td] 55 lbs. (24.97kg)[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
FINISHES​
[/td] [td] Walnut, Rosewood, Teak Oil, Walnut, Oak, Cherry Lacquer, Raw, Black Birch[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
BUILT FROM​
[/td] [td] 1957[/td]
[/tr] [tr] [td]
BUILT UNTIL​
[/td] [td] 1985[/td]
[/tr]

As you can see the foot print is basically the same but look at the frequency response and gain of 2db in sensitivity.

By the way, I envy you with your N800. I have always been wanting a pair of either N800D or N801D. I have one of the last pairs of 801 Matrix S3 produced before changing to the Nautilus series in my living room system and a pair of N803 with a REL sub in my bedroom system.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 16, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #797 of 19,143
I took the 9090 to Deltronics. We'll see what they have to say about it. When it gets all spruced up, I will company it to the 9090DB, and then the loser will be sold. But you're right, the recapped 9090DB is every bit as good as the Marantz 2275. I may even like the 9090DB better. Hard to say. But in any case I feel like I've got my own version of the Big Three now :D

What I am picking up Sunday is NOT a receiver.

the DB boards if have any issues will be such a pain in the ass to repair and get working correctly if something happens. i'm wondering are you just buying up all these receivers for headphone use? no speakers? lot of these vintage receivers are capable of driving heavy loads no problem when it comes to speakers and honestly nothing plays more true to the source through good speakers like a good vintage receiver or integrated amp.

unless your a collector i find it very odd for someone to dish 100's or even 1000's of dollars just for headphone use on these monsterous and wonderful receivers. it's your money tho so i have no say in what you do and respect your decisions.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #798 of 19,143
So I compared my stock Marantz 2240 briefly to a stock Nuforce HDP that I keep in the basement rig, for when I don't have time to warm up the ZDT tube amp.  I had the 2240 connected to the RCA out of my PS Audio Perfectwave DAC and Bridge, and the HDP connected to the RCA loop-out of my Woo WES, which is connected to the balanced out of the PWD&B.  I'm using anti-cables XLR and RCA interconnects for everything.  I've previously compared the two outputs and found them to sound essentially the same, and I actually use the loop-out to feed my ZDT amp because it eliminates the ground loop hum I get in the ZDT if I connect both amps to the PWD without a ground strap between amps.  

I used Apple lossless music, with my Grado HF-2 plus some hard to drive Smeggy made custom 120ohm SFI orthodynamics, as they were within easy reach.  Both amps had the normal listening volume for the HF-2 at about 10 o'clock.  The SFI orthos are harder to drive and need about 11:30 on the 2240 volume, but even more on the HDP.  At first the sound of the two amps was not all that different, but after an hour of listening what I came away with was that the 2240 has a little better 3D layering, air, ambience, and depth.  Maybe it has a slightly stronger or warmer bass by about 1-2 dB as well.

Interestingly, I found that these are the same areas where my other HDP upstairs improved when I installed a 15V Sigma 11 PSU for it.  I'm guessing, if my future comparisons will bear this out, that the HDP and Sigma 11 PSU will even more closely match the sound out of the 2240 headphone jack.  Note - in previous comparisons of the HDP/S11 to my CEntrance DACmini using my LCD-2, the DACmini still won out by a small margin ($795) using each unit's built-in 24/96 USB DAC as the source with Macbook Pro.  However, the DACmini and HDP are underpowered for my HE-6.  So, soon I plan to bring the HE-6 and LCD-2 downstairs and give them a try with the Marantz too.

Apr 16, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #799 of 19,143
@RexAeterna - I am using the receivers for both headphones and speakers. The Pioneer SX1250 is driving B&W Nautilus N805's in my Man Cave, and the Marantz 2275 is driving RBH Sound MC5c's in my office. Currently only the Sansui is not driving speakers, but I plan to rotate it out with the other two after I decide which of the two Sansui's I will keep.

@HeaphoneAddict - Larry, interesting that you note that the improve,improvements you hear with the Marantz are similar to the type of improvements you've hea when improving power supplies, because of course the Marantz has a very stout power supply!

@Musicman59 - Jose, thanks for that info - I will look into the Fortes!

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #800 of 19,143
I like the idea of the thread... thanks for starting.. I don't often post but will provide details as to what I have in terms of equipment. I assume by vintage you mean something older than 25 years or so?
I currently (and for the forseeable future) have a Rotel RCC 945 CD Changer, combined with Rotel RA- 820B Integrated amplifier and Rotel RT-850 Tuner. The integrated amp appears to drive my Beyerdynamic DT990's, (600ohm) quite well. I am not a techie but I only need to set volume to around 3.5-4 on on a setting scale of 10 to get the volume I need. I listen to mostly Classical and Jazz, and most recordings sound great, even older recordings such as Oscar Petersons Night Train recorded in 1962

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a separate headphone amp and was wondering if this would realy make a difference to the overall sound quality from my headphones?

Thanks

Larry Y

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #801 of 19,143
@RexAeterna - I am using the receivers for both headphones and speakers. The Pioneer SX1250 is driving B&W Nautilus N805's in my Man Cave, and the Marantz 2275 is driving RBH Sound MC5c's in my office. Currently only the Sansui is not driving speakers, but I plan to rotate it out with the other two after I decide which of the two Sansui's I will keep.!

those are some hefty speakers. i bet you have fun moving those around. i think for your B&W's you might find your sansui's to do a better job at driving them compared to the pioneer especially when impedance dips below 4ohms. you should give it a try when you get it back from the tech. you might be very surprised. i never used the 1250 exactly but i saw the sx-5590 before(blackfaced military version of the 1250). it was an impressive looking piece.

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #802 of 19,143
Pulled the trigger, signed the bottom line, crossed the t's and dotted the i's and there'll be a Fisher X-202-B nestled into the hi-fi array next to my desk by Thursday evening. I could have taken it home today except the headphone jack has its left and right confused and so while that's getting fixed the pots will be cleaned and the solder joints checked as well.

The jumpered reverb loop in the middle of the back panel will be a good place to attach a headphone crossfeed box. Which is what the cool kids use instead of reverb these days.

Note the inputs are marked A and B, while the outputs are marked Left and Right. This is also observed on the front panel: The mode selector switch (third from left, lower row) refers to channels as A and B, while the output balance is marked Left and Right. This seems to be the manner of the day: I've got a Scott 222C from the same era in for refurbishment and it, too, refers to channels as A and B. Unlike the Fisher, The Scott's channels are uniformly A and B from input through output, A implicitly meaning Left.

The gentleman who's working on it showed me how to wire up the speakers. It's remarkably counterintuitive, so that was appreciated.

According to him, this is what a 4-ohm hookup looks like.

Left and Right are connected differently. For an 8-ohm connection, the right channel has a wire move from RIGHT SPEAKER 4 to RIGHT SPEAKER 8 and for the left channel the blue wire moves from the GND terminal to the IMP SEL LEFT 8. A 16-ohm connection works similarly. What is the IMP SEL LEFT 4 terminal for? Apparently, it's the same as GND in the circuit, but putting the blue wire on GND keeps it out of the way, nothing more. I have a slightly different guess.

This is my guess: Note there's a Left, Center, and Right channel. Center is a monophonic sum of Left and Right's signals. The Center terminals are labeled identically to the Left terminals. If you're running a Center in addition to stereo (back in the day, it might be a satellite speaker; these days, it might be a subwoofer), GND is a common 4 ohm impedance selection for the Left and Center channels. I don't really know, though: I haven't been able to find a user's manual. The service manual -- with full wiring diagram -- is easy to find, and the way things work can be sussed from that, but it's not quite a substitute for Fisher's own documentation of how they'd rather you do it.

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #803 of 19,143
@RexAeterna - yeah I will try the Sansui with the N805 when it comes back, no doubt. Loving the SX-1250 with them, though, I gotta say. The N805 are the baby Nautilus so they are not so horrible to drive, like my monster N800's are. But they are pretty darned heavy for 2-ways.

@argedee - beautiful Fisher! Congrats.

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #805 of 19,143

Quote:
Excuse me guys, may I ask if this vintage amplifier has a nice headphone amp: Pioneer SX-880.
biggrin.gif

May i ask what you paid for it
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #807 of 19,143
I don't know what the market is like where you are, but out here I'd consider that an average to quite good of a deal depending on the condition and whether or not it has been serviced relatively recently. IMO. There are other more experienced opinions on here.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #809 of 19,143
Excuse me guys, may I ask if this vintage amplifier has a nice headphone amp: Pioneer SX-880.:D

http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/800_series_receivers.htm

it should do fine. check the schematics.....well naw give me a sec.i check. well i gave a quick look and it seems it uses a 150ohm@3w resistor for both the left and right channel between the headphone jack and power amp section. so basically if you plug a headphone of 150ohms into the socket you be able to drive up to 3w(3000mw) of power into that given impedance load.

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #810 of 19,143
No chance, man - due to the space.  The nice thing about the Heresies is they are not too big...

Late reply but here is a shot of my stacked Heresy II's:

For perspective,the 1985 Vandersteen Model 1 are app.3ft. tall.
The 1989 Klipsch Heresy II are on stands 18" high and are app.22" tall.
Stacked on top are 1980 JBL L112's,app.2 ft.tall.
Also running an active subwoofer.

Vandy's powered by a 1985 220W Vector Research receiver.
Klipsch fed with a scarce 1979 25W Pioneer M 22 amplifier,using a Marantz Model 2285 as a pre.
JBL driven by the Prince of vintage,a 1978 Sansui AU 20000.
All of these are connected via the tape loops.
A Creek OBH 22 can be installed between the pre/mains or between the tape loops of the receivers or integrated amp to provide remote volume control for watching the TV etc.

As a time traveller from the 70's this is my dream "wall of sound",like something out of an old Who concert.
I had the JBL 112 first and it was a choice to stack them with the earlier JBL 166 or the Heresy's.
Given that the sound preference is roughly split 50/50 for the 112's vs 166,I caved in to the urban legend that Paul Klipsch actually used a pair of Klipsch Heresy II's in his home.
I picked the Klipsch up used for $400.
Paired with the Pioneer M 22 you barely turn the volume and these speakers jump.
The Klipsch do me no wrong,they play loud and clear.Lively,dynamic detail-right in your face,like a good horn.
Vandersteen have a niceness about their sound and a contrasting 'pleasantry' to the Klipsch realism.
The JBL and the Sansui amp are a match made in heaven,the JBL's can be a tad bright but the Sansui tames them.
The brightness of the JBL's titanium tweeter is easily highlighted by some amplifiers.

This system will win friends and influence enemies,or at the very least provide a wonderful "break the lease" party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back